Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2013, 11:48 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,545,596 times

Advertisements

I have finally gotten into "Looking for Alaska" by Peter Jenkins. I have read many of his previous books about his adventures but this one just got set aside. I think I've had it over 10 years. So far so good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 12:14 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
I'm reading Five Days at Memorial: Life and Death in a Storm-Ravaged Hospital by Sheri Fink.

I like her books. This is nonfiction about Memorial Hospital in New Orleans for five days during Katrina. There were court trials when the smoke finally cleared and I think those issues will be covered, too.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:52 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
I've still got Sister Queens in the works but I can only read it for so long. It's interesting, but I get weary of the way women were (still are) treated just because of their gender, and all the secrets, lies, and intrigues that went on (and still do). I think I am starting to understand my attraction to the crime drama genre -- the bad guys always get caught, and the women are usually treated like equals (as long as I stay with current era writers).

I am listening to "Good Omens," by Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, with Martin Jarvis (Narrator), and I can tell that Prachett had an influence on it, but it lacks the timing and sparkle of his Discworld series. Not sure whether that is because of the collaboration, or his illness.

NJKate, I picked up the hard copy of Tony Dunbar's "City of Beads" (a Tubby Dubonnet mystery), so the library was able to sort out the names conflict. I will probably read that and leave "Sister Queens" to languish in their obscurity awhile longer.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:49 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I've still got Sister Queens in the works but I can only read it for so long. It's interesting, but I get weary of the way women were (still are) treated just because of their gender, and all the secrets, lies, and intrigues that went on (and still do). I think I am starting to understand my attraction to the crime drama genre -- the bad guys always get caught, and the women are usually treated like equals (as long as I stay with current era writers).

I am listening to "Good Omens," by Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, with Martin Jarvis (Narrator), and I can tell that Prachett had an influence on it, but it lacks the timing and sparkle of his Discworld series. Not sure whether that is because of the collaboration, or his illness.

NJKate, I picked up the hard copy of Tony Dunbar's "City of Beads" (a Tubby Dubonnet mystery), so the library was able to sort out the names conflict. I will probably read that and leave "Sister Queens" to languish in their obscurity awhile longer.
Oh let me know how you liked it. Not Pulitzer prize material for sure But I still enjoyed the light read

Old 09-11-2013, 08:54 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
I'm enjoying Vanity Fair much more than I thought I would. If you like Jane Austen or the Bronte's, you'd like this too.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:33 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,165,546 times
I'm currently reading Seve Jobs by Walter Isaacson and Killing Floor by Lee Child.

I like to have a fiction and non-fiction going at the same time as I quickly go through the fictions, but the non's take a little longer.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:42 PM

74,112 posts, read 1,835,618 times
Picked up In Plain Sight by C J Box

Old 09-11-2013, 07:04 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
I have not been able to read lately for lack of spare time but I did see some books that got good reviews in a magazine. I will post them with and Amazon description for a quick look

Margot
Margot: A Novel: Jillian Cantor: 9781594486432: Amazon.com: Books

The Asylum
The Asylum: A collage of couture reminiscences...and hysteria: Simon Doonan: 9780399161896: Amazon.com: Books

The Reason I Jump
The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism: Naoki Higashida, KA Yoshida, David Mitchell: 9780812994865: Amazon.com: Books

They all looked interesting to me. Let me know of you read any

Old 09-11-2013, 10:16 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
I just started The Orphan Train but the recommendation was so many pages ago on this thread that I can't remember who else has read it. So far, so good! I'm supposed to be reading a leadership book for work but am really, really not into it and The Orphan Train is much preferred!

Old 09-12-2013, 05:46 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I just started The Orphan Train but the recommendation was so many pages ago on this thread that I can't remember who else has read it. So far, so good! I'm supposed to be reading a leadership book for work but am really, really not into it and The Orphan Train is much preferred!
I read it as well based on the recommendation and can't remember who..sorry
It was a very good read
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books