Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2013, 06:15 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Oh let me know how you liked it. Not Pulitzer prize material for sure But I still enjoyed the light read
Kate, I have to admit that after the first four chapters I was ready to give it up -- I keep visualizing Tubby as one of those roly-poly toys for infants, wobble-walking through the mystery!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I'm enjoying Vanity Fair much more than I thought I would. If you like Jane Austen or the Bronte's, you'd like this too.
I read this one well past my Austen and Bronte stage, sometime in the 80s. Then, as now, I thought Mr. Thackeray had a good view of the human psyche.

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I have not been able to read lately for lack of spare time ...
After following your link to your house flip I can well understand how you have no time for reading! Flipping a house in 93F + weather in humid FL! You have my deepest awe -- and sympathy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I'm supposed to be reading a leadership book for work but ...
I used to read all those work recommended books, and then one day I realized that no matter how often I "drank the kool-aide" I was never going to believe that stuff. But that is off topic, so I will leave it here.

My appreciation for "Good Omens" is increasing with the listening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 06:17 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Im reading The Jew Store and so far it is pretty good . It is a personal book of mine . Had it sent to me by a friend she is cleaning out her book collection .

Old 09-12-2013, 08:02 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Orphan Train recommmendation - ME! Glad you both are liking it!

Old 09-12-2013, 03:51 PM

289 posts, read 569,725 times
Finally finishing the Sookie Stackhouse book "Deadlocked" and then it's on to the final book in the series "Dead Ever After".

Then I'm going back to the Eve Duncan series for books 16 & 17 "Taking Eve" & "Hunting Eve".

And then finally I will be caught up on all of the series than I've been reading.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:20 PM

218 posts, read 544,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I'm enjoying Vanity Fair much more than I thought I would. If you like Jane Austen or the Bronte's, you'd like this too.
I have actually never read any of Jane or Emily's books, much to many of my friends' chagrin. I might have to add them to my TRL, but it might be rough wading for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I'm reading Five Days at Memorial: Life and Death in a Storm-Ravaged Hospital by Sheri Fink.
When this book first came out I actually googled the results of the court trials. I had unfortunately spoiled myself with spoilers! grrrrrr....

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I have not been able to read lately for lack of spare time but I did see some books that got good reviews in a magazine. I will post them with and Amazon description for a quick look

Margot
Margot: A Novel: Jillian Cantor: 9781594486432: Amazon.com: Books
Margot looks good. I didn't realize there were two sisters...will add this to my Library TRL.

Followed the link to your blog! Holy moly....def impressive! Had to pull my husband out of his writing reverie and share. Exceptional results from your hard work. The flips look fabulous. So worth the results and the canal views. Ditto what Mayberry said - and doing it in this heat! ^5 to you.

Also, love your self-sustaining house off-grid. *WANT* ; )))

It takes an incredible amount of effort to flip - currently living in one myself - someone else flipped it..I just flipped for it! ; ))) . !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post

My appreciation for "Good Omens" is increasing with the listening.
I might have to try an audio book. Used to have a 3 hour daily commute and mostly NPR'ed it or organized my thoughts. *That's* when audio books would have been handy.

Actually finishing a book I had started - but didn't have the time to finish before the water line broke last Monday. Then got involved in the Going Home/Surviving Home series. Those were riveting. Couldn't stop reading. So back to C.J. Box's Breaking Point. Stayed up way too late reading last night. Hopefully will finish tonight.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:37 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Im reading The Jew Store and so far it is pretty good . It is a personal book of mine . Had it sent to me by a friend she is cleaning out her book collection .
I read that one earlier in the year and I enjoyed it. I've been on a nonfiction roll for a while now.
Linda Ronstadt's book is coming out on the 17th. I will definitely read that one. I'm a big fan.

I'm reading Empty Mansions by Bill Dedman. Wow! This one is good. It's nonfiction about a woman who died at age 104 and was one of the richest heiresses in the US. She had homes (mansions) all over the map. No one has heard of her. She was a hermit.

Empty Mansions: The Mysterious Life of Huguette Clark and the Spending of a Great American Fortune: Bill Dedman, Paul Clark Newell Jr.: 9780345534521: Amazon.com: Books

Old 09-12-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I'm reading Empty Mansions by Bill Dedman. Wow! This one is good. It's nonfiction about a woman who died at age 104 and was one of the richest heiresses in the US. She had homes (mansions) all over the map. No one has heard of her. She was a hermit.

Empty Mansions: The Mysterious Life of Huguette Clark and the Spending of a Great American Fortune: Bill Dedman, Paul Clark Newell Jr.: 9780345534521: Amazon.com: Books
I've been reading Huguette's story in the media. It's fascinating.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:17 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
I finished Tony Dunbar's "City of Beads" the second of his Tubby Dubonnet series. After reading it I looked it up in Goodreads and learned that he was influenced (as I suspected) by John D. McDonald and Dashiell Hammett. It was laid-back, despite the murders, dismemberments, and crooked cops.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:59 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I finished Tony Dunbar's "City of Beads" the second of his Tubby Dubonnet series. After reading it I looked it up in Goodreads and learned that he was influenced (as I suspected) by John D. McDonald and Dashiell Hammett. It was laid-back, despite the murders, dismemberments, and crooked cops.
LOL...yeah roly poly Tubby!! Unfortunately or maybe fortunately any book centered around New Orleans I have to give a try.
One of the reasons I keep Anne Rice's book The Witching Hour, every few years I will take it out and read again..lol

Old 09-14-2013, 04:59 PM

Was about to start another C.J. Box Book - Back of Beyond, but decided to take a detour.

Garage-saled today and found a ton of books from a like minded individual who read some of the same genres as me.
What a treasure trove ! : )

Am about to start David Grann's The Lost City of Z.

Last edited by OcalaLiving; 09-14-2013 at 05:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books