Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2013, 05:12 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OcalaLiving View Post
Was about to start another C.J. Box Book - Back of Beyond, but decided to take a detour.

Garage-saled today and found a ton of books from a like minded individual who read some of the same genre's as me.
What a treasure trove ! : )

Am about to start David Grann's The Lost City of Z.
I really enjoyed the Z book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 03:35 PM

218 posts, read 544,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I really enjoyed the Z book.
It's good. I'm about half-way in....

Old 09-15-2013, 06:51 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,139,402 times
Without Fail, Lee Child. Jack Reacher #6.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:42 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times
I started "The Mortal Instruments - City of Bones". I just need to know what all this hype is about

Old 09-16-2013, 06:14 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I read that one earlier in the year and I enjoyed it. I've been on a nonfiction roll for a while now.
Linda Ronstadt's book is coming out on the 17th. I will definitely read that one. I'm a big fan.

I'm reading Empty Mansions by Bill Dedman. Wow! This one is good. It's nonfiction about a woman who died at age 104 and was one of the richest heiresses in the US. She had homes (mansions) all over the map. No one has heard of her. She was a hermit.

Empty Mansions: The Mysterious Life of Huguette Clark and the Spending of a Great American Fortune: Bill Dedman, Paul Clark Newell Jr.: 9780345534521: Amazon.com: Books
That is such a sad story. All that money, all those homes and not a friend in the world except for her nurse, lawyer and accountant and dolls

Old 09-16-2013, 09:00 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Finished Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks. I gave it 3 out of 5 stars. Next up will be either The Fault in Our Stars by John Green or The Rescue by Nicholas Sparks. The Rescue just came up as mine for ebook from the library and I bought the other one per recommendation of my niece. I guess we'll see what happens after work.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:42 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
I can't seem to settle on a book. I almost always read one book at a time but I am at varying percentages through 3 books at the same time.

"Empty Mansions"
"Five Days at Memorial"
"The Witness Wore Red"

All three are nonfiction. I was angry with myself for getting into this situation. However, right now I am saying to myself "Who cares how many books you are reading at the same time?" Nobody does. So I won't care, either. It's not like I'm entered in a reading marathon.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:42 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
... It's not like I'm entered in a reading marathon.
Actually, we probably could all say that -- it's called our (readers) life!

I am having a really hard time in keeping on "Sister Queens" because I seem to be getting more and more sensitive to our human history of misogyny at all levels of society -- seeming to come at me from everywhere. My readings about history and present day seem to be pounding me with evidence of MANkind's disregard for women and girls. I won't rant here, but it IS definitely getting in the way of my just reading this darned book. (And, BTW, I will never think kindly toward Ferdinand and Isabella, again!)

Strangely, after downloading a copy of "Pillars of the Earth" to my Kindle, I ended up getting a library copy of the movie, only to find it begins at the reign of Henry the First... acting as a sort of historic prequel to "Sister Queens" because the sister Katherine was the first wife of Henry the Eighth. Apparently women in either point in time were just chattel -- some dressed up better than others.

I think I am going to have to jump onto a mind cleansing murder mystery just to snap out of this funk!

Old 09-16-2013, 01:14 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
I am more then halfway through The Book of Joby, which I found listed on some website about the greatest fantasy books series, books no one had heard of but should, etc. Well, I do believe I found the reason The Book of Joby is not well known. It is a very interesting premise, a retelling of the Book of Job. But it does not ever really rise to anything remotely great as the premise would suggest.

I will finish it it. The writing is okay. Maybe it would appeal to Christians who want their children to read Christian books, come to think of it.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:59 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,907,440 times
Just finished reading "Buddy (How a Rooster Made Me a Family Man) -- Brian McGrory. I'd heard the author interviewed on NPR and thought the book sounded interesting. McGrory is a writer for the Boston Globe and his writing style is very "newspaperish". However, some parts, particularly when he describes his relationship with his dog are very affecting. It was a quick read and I'd recommend it to animal lovers and people who are part of a blended family. My book before that was "Portrait of An Artist..." -- James Joyce. I have friends who worship Joyce, but sorry, I just don't get it. "Portrait" is a small book but it was a chore to read it. I guess I'm a plebian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books