Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2013, 10:50 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,459,815 times

Advertisements

The Lullaby of Polish Girls, by Dagmara Dominczyk. Though the author opened with a note to explain pronunciations, by third chapter, I think that was a miss service since I then found myself spending so much time trying to make since of every syllable to the point of note taking in much of the story. Sad to say, I gave up. I might try again in another week or so.

Same Kind of Different As Me, by Ron Hall & Denver More with Lynn Vincent. Very interesting, true,story told in two voices; one a homeless man, the other a wealthy, man, how their lives intertwined via a determined woman, and these two men becoming great friends. Very lovely story with some heart wrenching moments, but not dwelled on.

I'm about a third of the way into the book.

http://www.amazon.com/Same-Kind-Different-Modern-Day-International/dp/084991910X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1379954077&sr=1-1&keywords=same+kind+of+different+as+me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 11:46 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Picked up the long-postponed "Cloud Atlas", by David Mitchell, to be started tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
^^I have Edgar Sawtelle - I haven't read it yet (it was a gift). I wasn't sure if it was for me. I usually avoid dog books.
So do I, but ead it. Much more than a "dog book", in fact not a dog book at all, except peripherally. Personally, I'm indifferent about dogs in particular and pets in general, but I liked the book quite a lot.

I have just finished one of the novels in Anthony Powell's "A Dance to the Music of Time", (Valley of the Bones) and found it so-so at best. Only after I was most of the way through it did I discover that V S Naipaul also thought it overrated, saying "it may be that our friendship lasted all this time because I had not examined his work". But I did like a Powell novel written a few decades earlier ("From a View to a Death").

Last edited by jtur88; 09-23-2013 at 12:15 PM..

Old 09-23-2013, 12:17 PM

218 posts, read 544,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
^^I have Edgar Sawtelle - I haven't read it yet (it was a gift). I wasn't sure if it was for me. I usually avoid dog books.

Right now I'm reading The Son by Philipp Meyer and although I am not very far in, I am loving it. I've been reading too much junk over the summer because I felt I couldn't give a truly good book the attention it deserved, and now I feel like a starving person faced with a great meal.

The Son: Philipp Meyer: 9780062120397: Amazon.com: Books

Both of these look good. Checking to see if my library carries them (and yes it did - got both of them!). Need a new book to read.

Last edited by OcalaLiving; 09-23-2013 at 12:27 PM.. Reason: update

Old 09-23-2013, 06:52 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
I am 26% into "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children," and am loving it so much that I had to come back and say so. It probably isn't for everyone, but I am thrilled with it. I can easily visualize this kid's experiences on this remote island, exploring this old home... searching for signs. It's a real escape.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:17 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,026,659 times
I am finally reading "The Book Thief", by Markus Zusak

Recently finished:
"And the Mountains Echoed" by Khaled Hosseini,
"The Son" by Philipp Meyer
"No Easy Day" by Mark Owen
"American Sniper" by Chris Kyle

Old 09-24-2013, 02:20 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,384,352 times
Finished "The Mortal Instruments - City of Bones" yesterday. It was okay but I kept thinking the author tried to copy the style and / or characters of a few books. A little bit of Twilight, a little bit of Anita Blake Vampire Hunter. I couldn't really get involved with the characters.

I definetely won't get the next volume of this series. Sorry.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:02 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
Finished "The Mortal Instruments - City of Bones" yesterday. It was okay but I kept thinking the author tried to copy the style and / or characters of a few books. A little bit of Twilight, a little bit of Anita Blake Vampire Hunter. I couldn't really get involved with the characters.

I definetely won't get the next volume of this series. Sorry.
No need to apologize. We all have our own views -- thank God!

Curious after reading your post, I looked up the author. She seems to be cashing in on young adult hormones, playing off sexual tensions and violence. I suspect she's cashing in, and not real concerned about whether those of us outside her target market are interested.

I would stick with your view of it and not venture. Life's too short to read a poorly constructed book.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:10 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
I finished And Sons (also seen as & Sons) by David Gilbert. There were many good parts, with lots of solid writing and character development, but I crashed at the end. That might not have been the book, though -- I was going through some heavy-duty "stuff" and the book had an aura of "the book that I was reading when the 'stuff' was going on."

I just got The Lowland by my girl Jhumpa Lahiri. I'll start it soon.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:05 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
I'm still slogging through Vanity Fair. I like it, but there are so many references to the life and times of England in ... the early 1800's, I think.... that I don't get that I sometimes get lost. And I see so many titles on here that I'd like to investigate. But I'll push on through for a bit longer and see what happens.

P.S. Welcome back, Dawn. I've missed you on here.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:06 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I'm still slogging through Vanity Fair. I like it, but there are so many references to the life and times of England in ... the early 1800's, I think.... that I don't get that I sometimes get lost. And I see so many titles on here that I'd like to investigate. But I'll push on through for a bit longer and see what happens.

P.S. Welcome back, Dawn. I've missed you on here.
Thank you, sweet lady.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books