Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2013, 04:21 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,110,100 times

Advertisements

The Enemy, Lee Child, Jack Reacher #8.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 06:34 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,521,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I tried to read it a couple of years ago and couldn't get into it, LFM. I think I'll try again because I had the same trouble with The Book Thief and when I attempted it the second time I could not put it down.

I read Cleave's Incendiary about a year ago and blown away with his style of writing and his character development. Plus, the storyline was unusual. I don't think it is a book for everyone but it sure was a good one for me.
I also had a struggle with the start, more because of the innuendo of violence Little Bee could not bring to actual words... harbingers of pain to be revealed. And you are right about his character development. The guy obviously understands people and how to reveal them to the reader... just the right amount at the right time.

I will look for Incendiary. Thanks!

Old 10-17-2013, 06:47 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,947,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I also had a struggle with the start, more because of the innuendo of violence Little Bee could not bring to actual words... harbingers of pain to be revealed. And you are right about his character development. The guy obviously understands people and how to reveal them to the reader... just the right amount at the right time.

I will look for Incendiary. Thanks!
FYI: I read Little Bee when it first came out. I thought it was excellent. Painful details, yes, but an incredible story, with equally fabulous writing. So much so that when I mentioned it to a friend of mine who's a movie producer, he read it and optioned the film. (He didn't win the right to make it, but that's neither here nor there.)

I then read Incendiary. Very different story and voice, not quite as good as Little Bee (at least in my opinion), but a very solid book.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
FYI: I read Little Bee when it first came out. I thought it was excellent. Painful details, yes, but an incredible story, with equally fabulous writing. So much so that when I mentioned it to a friend of mine who's a movie producer, he read it and optioned the film. (He didn't win the right to make it, but that's neither here nor there.)

I then read Incendiary. Very different story and voice, not quite as good as Little Bee (at least in my opinion), but a very solid book.
I think it would be a great movie, but it would take a great director to pull it off. I just looked up "Incendiary" and have no doubt it is good, but I don't think I could handle the plot events. Little Bee's ordeal nearly killed me, to have to read about a mother's loss...

Old 10-17-2013, 11:38 AM

I started to listen to "Black Plumes," by Margery Allingham but I cannot handle too many stereotypes in my characters, and an Englishman that says "Old boy" more than once on a page... it's history.

Now I am starting "Chatterton," by Peter Ackroyd. Too soon to say how it will work for me.

Old 10-17-2013, 05:29 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,772,693 times
Just getting into Walker Percy's "The Thanatos Syndrome". Slow at first, but now it's on a roll, and I like his style. Never read anything by him before, and it's a long time since I read a southern writer.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:05 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,240,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Just getting into Walker Percy's "The Thanatos Syndrome". Slow at first, but now it's on a roll, and I like his style. Never read anything by him before, and it's a long time since I read a southern writer.
Coincidentally, The Moviegoer, just became available at my library and I downloaded this morning. I've been wanting to read this book for years.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:48 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,374,493 times
@ ketabcha: I finished my first Maeve Binchy (Echoes). You were right, I like her style. However, Echoes was a bit slow at the beginning. I couldn't keep the names apart and kept searching on earlier pages who was who. However, it turned out to be very moving.

Anyhow, I'm ready for a new triology. Is there anything you all can recommend? I need a real story, great characters, a little adventure (like Diana Gabaldon, the Hunger Games, Twilight, anyhting like that). It could be something historical too.

And yes, I've read Delirium, 5 books of The Wheel of Time series, The Maze Runner, A Song of Ice and Fire, this Joe Abercrombie series, The Passage, etc. And I also loved The Other Boleyn Girl and The Boleyn Inharitance... So it's a bit difficult to find new stuff like that.

Thanks for your help!

Old 10-18-2013, 12:50 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,374,493 times
Currently listening to Noah Gordon's SHAMAN which is really good.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:09 AM

160 posts, read 384,096 times
I am reading Starry Night by Debbie Macomber good so far but its a super romance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books