Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2013, 11:13 AM

218 posts, read 544,254 times

Advertisements

Just started reading The Traveler by John Twelve Hawks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 10:46 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,706,529 times
Finally got done with my most recent Tom Clancy re-read (happens about once a year), then burned through the Eragon series in about a week. I ran across an author that I read years ago named Mary Stewart, and have started reading her again, at least the Merlin series. For anyone who is a fan of Arthurian legends, I highly recommend her quintet called The Merlin Series.

Old 10-20-2013, 12:14 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
I'm disappointed with both the books I am currently reading: on the Kindle, ("The Anatomy of Ghosts," by Andrew Taylor) and the audiobook, ("Chatterton," by Peter Ackroyd). Though 40% into Taylor's work, the mention of ghosts in any form is sparse. I think title is a gimmick to increase sales on his mediocre mystery by overlapping genres.

Ackroyd's "Chatterton" is a mystery, but the characters are so weird -- and the reader is playing their voices even more weirdly that I am convinced they are all on some strange mind-altering drug.

The mystery seems to be why I keep reading either book. I am giving both until the half-way point, but if I don't see improvement they are going to bite the dust.

Does anyone have any experience with either author that would explain what I am feeling?

Old 10-20-2013, 12:17 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,480,512 times
I am still trying to finish up 50 Shades of Gray.

Old 10-20-2013, 12:44 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
I have been struggling lately to read- having a very long "one of those spells". I even had started the Interestings and was enjoying it fair enough but then couldn't finish it.
Anyway I just started THREE SQUARES the invention of the America Meal by Abigail Carroll and it is a very nice read about the "history" or evolution of how our meals have come to be. I might not pass a test if I were quizzed on it, but it's a very good read
.Three Squares: The Invention of the American Meal: Abigail Carroll: 9780465025527: Amazon.com: Books

Old 10-20-2013, 01:12 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OcalaLiving View Post
Just started reading The Traveler by John Twelve Hawks.
I'll be very interested in what you think of it. I liked it way back when it first came out but was so turned off by the second book that I don't trust my opinion of the first one. I remember that I didn't think it was exceptional in any way but that it was intriguing enough.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:19 PM

Well, I am reading a Kindle ebook and the writing itself is more than good but I can't seem to concentrate on the book anyway. It might be me. It feels like there are awkward scene changes or that I am somehow missing something. I keep going back to find out how we all got where we got to in the story. But the writer can write. I am still soldiering on but I am getting grumpier about it by the minute.

The recent frost we had killed off the flies and so I don't even have anything that needs swatting.

Maybe it's time to change to another book or do that fall cleaning that's been put off by other things.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I'm disappointed with both the books I am currently reading: on the Kindle, ("The Anatomy of Ghosts," by Andrew Taylor) and the audiobook, ("Chatterton," by Peter Ackroyd). Though 40% into Taylor's work, the mention of ghosts in any form is sparse. I think title is a gimmick to increase sales on his mediocre mystery by overlapping genres.

Ackroyd's "Chatterton" is a mystery, but the characters are so weird -- and the reader is playing their voices even more weirdly that I am convinced they are all on some strange mind-altering drug.

The mystery seems to be why I keep reading either book. I am giving both until the half-way point, but if I don't see improvement they are going to bite the dust.

Does anyone have any experience with either author that would explain what I am feeling?

No experience with your authors but for your annual scary story try Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindquist http://www.amazon.ca/Let-Right-One-I.../dp/0312355297. It is just scary enough but it has depth for a horror story and I found it much above it's genre. It is also a coming of age story about two outsiders.

I also read his second book (can't remember the title) and would also highly recommend it but I hated his third which was too gory for me and had less of a point to the story besides sheer horror. The third book grossed me out so much I couldn't wait to get it out of the house. I think I threw it in the trash because I didn't want it to sit around here waiting for me to fill a box to take to the thrift shop. That was what it made me feel. Not good.

ETA: I think maybe it was the fourth one that I hated - I think it was Little Star based on what I just read on Amazon. Mindless violence. I couldn't take it.

Last edited by netwit; 10-20-2013 at 01:36 PM..

Old 10-20-2013, 03:01 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
...I am still soldiering on but I am getting grumpier about it by the minute.
LOL! That's how I felt about Taylor's "Anatomy of Ghosts" -- until I deleted it from my Kindle. I feel so much better now.

Quote:
... try Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindquist. It is just scary enough but it has depth for a horror story and I found it much above it's genre. It is also a coming of age story about two outsiders.
Thanks, my friend. I never buy books unless they are for reference, and my library doesn't have anything by John Ajvide Lindquist except for "Let Me In" on audiobook and I just cannot listen to anything the least bit scary... I can read it for some reason I don't understand, but listening or watching... not.

I started on "Ghost Memories" (the Bone Island Trilogy Prequel), by Heather Graham. Apparently the Trilogy is about the curse of a privateer on Bone Island of the southern Florida coast.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:33 PM

218 posts, read 544,254 times
Quote:
I'll be very interested in what you think of it. I liked it way back when it first came out but was so turned off by the second book that I don't trust my opinion of the first one. I remember that I didn't think it was exceptional in any way but that it was intriguing enough.
Well, I must say that I actually *really* liked it. I thought it was complex, thoughtful, full of action, with a fair amount of character depth - most certainly well written and very fluid with only a few predictable plot points. I'd been in a drought lately trying to find something interesting to read, but from the moment I picked up this book I read it straight through - took me 7 hours...lol. I didn't want to stop for dinner but my husband wanted to get out and breathe fresh air and so I thought I should comply. ; ).

My only disappointment was that a central character actually was killed off very quickly and when I say quickly I mean that as 'summarily'. Won't mention who b/c I don't want to provide a spoiler should anyone else want to read it, but I was hoping he'd be pivotal throughout the trilogy.

About to start the second novel. I only have about 2 hours to read before the only show I watch on TV comes on. It'll probably take me all week to finish should it keep me interested.

I hope I won't be disappointed as you were. Will let you know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books