Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2013, 01:44 PM

43,620 posts, read 44,355,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I guess when I'm in the mood for "mystery", I'll check out his Number One Ladies Detective Agency. Thanks for the recommendation from so many!!
My mother and I both read Number One Ladies Detective Agency and we both enjoyed it as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 01:50 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
OMG! And I always thought it was just a joke! I think I would've liked Alice.
Me too and also I think I would have liked her father Teddy as well . Quite the jokester he was too , I read a book where he would tease the servants and turn pictures around and they would come around and turn them back and in the morning they would be turned around again ....I like a jovial spirit and I sure think he had one .

Old 10-28-2013, 01:51 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
My mother and I both read Number One Ladies Detective Agency and we both enjoyed it as well.
I have read all of them in the series and just loved it . I love prescious and her lady secretary too funny and smart .

Old 10-28-2013, 02:05 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,186,389 times
I just read two ebooks, "Sold into Slavery: The Story of Adaku, A Black Slave Woman Part I" and "Sold into Slavery: The Middle Passage, The Story of Adaku Part II". They are told in the 1st person like a diary. I found them very powerful and utterly horrific. Shame, shame, shame on the white man and shame, shame, shame on the natives who captured and sold their own kind.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:56 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I just read two ebooks, "Sold into Slavery: The Story of Adaku, A Black Slave Woman Part I" and "Sold into Slavery: The Middle Passage, The Story of Adaku Part II". They are told in the 1st person like a diary. I found them very powerful and utterly horrific. Shame, shame, shame on the white man and shame, shame, shame on the natives who captured and sold their own kind.
I could not read it for the horror. Indeed, I think slavery is mankind's greatest wrong. It's a black eye to Americans that we were the last bastions of commercial slavery, though I understand the sex slave industry larger than history.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:43 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
It started off pretty well but... oy. I have about 50 pages left of We Are Water by Wally Lamb and I'm struggling to finish it. It's just so soap opera-ish. I will finish it and I will be glad that it's over. His needless use of ellipses was overshadowed by some very stilted dialogue, but the soap opera tendencies just put it over the edge for me. I can't say that I'd recommend it, although your experience with it may be better.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
It started off pretty well but... oy. I have about 50 pages left of We Are Water by Wally Lamb and I'm struggling to finish it. It's just so soap opera-ish. I will finish it and I will be glad that it's over. His needless use of ellipses was overshadowed by some very stilted dialogue, but the soap opera tendencies just put it over the edge for me. I can't say that I'd recommend it, although your experience with it may be better.
Dang! And you were so looking forward to it.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:08 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
I finished Jake Needham's The Ambassador's Wife and I totally enjoyed it.

Taking place in Singapore makes it even more interesting. This man can write and his ability to get the reader inside the head of the hero, Inspector Samuel Tay, is amazing. We really know Tay. Really, really. The story unfolds with, guess what: The murder of the American Ambassador's wife. The author is obviously very clever and his protagonist is also very clever. But Tay is also a totally likeable fellow as long as an interacting character does not say idiotic things. I absolutely love how we know what the guy is thinking and how his mind works. He susses things out and we go along for the ride.

I truly enjoyed this book. It's so good that I have bought the 2nd in the series. I highly recommend it.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:54 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,200 times
I might have to give The Number One Ladies Detective Agency series a try again. I picked up this book in an airport years ago and just couldn't get into it at all. I was so frustrated because it was the only choice I brought with me so when it wasn't "the right book" right then, I never went back and tried it again.

Add it to the (ever-growing) list.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I finished Jake Needham's The Ambassador's Wife and I totally enjoyed it.

... But Tay is also a totally likeable fellow as long as an interacting character does not say idiotic things. I absolutely love how we know what the guy is thinking and how his mind works. He susses things out and we go along for the ride.
That is exactly how I like to read mysteries; I don't even try to figure it out, and if I do figure it out, I dislike it for being predictable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Add it to the (ever-growing) list.
I know what you mean. I feel like a title hoarder!

I've grown weary of "Grimpow," since the author has started recording the scientific discoveries of the boy who holds the philosopher's stone. It seems like it's just become the means for the author to describe all the discoveries made (that appeal to him) and it's boring. I am not bored by science -- love it, but I don't want to listen to a wonder of an medieval adolescent about the discoveries of astronomy and mathematics. If it continues much farther without something happening I am going to toss it for a more interesting read -- like "Chatterton"! (The hardbound arrived from Amazon, yesterday! )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books