Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2013, 02:53 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,352,882 times

Advertisements

After 67% I quit reading "Blink of an eye". There was nothing happening which made me want to go on. Boring!!!

However, I finished "Silver Wedding" by Maeve Binchy. A quick and entertaining read. Now I'm already halfway through "The Lilac Bus", also by Maeve Binchy, and I started Richard Laymon's "In the Dark" which is okay so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 03:06 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,352,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I am on a reading roll. I had been reading The Breakers by Edward W. Robertson which are on sale at Amazon for .99 (thank you Ketabcha), a post-apocalyptic troika of books and I had a problem starting off with it for some reason - the writing was delightful, some sentences so beautifully constructed I had to read them several times over, but I kept not knowing how we had got to the place we had got to. The last 20 or 30 pages of that first volume I got hooked enough to begin reading the second.

The slow start might have been me because my brain is pulled in a few different directions this time of year, trying to get ready for winter.

Now that I am racing through the third part I can say that it is totally addictive, much like The Passage in that way. And now I see what the writer has done - each of his books starts at the beginning of the apocalypse with new characters. So it's like reading a new book each time set in the same time frame.

I give him 4 out of five - if it wasn't self-published, an editor would have made him incorporate these different books into one. So that is my only quibble. I think he is a little wordy in some places but I still highly recommend this series (I already downloaded the fourth part which is not included in the trilogy on sale).

But now I have to kick my own butt and do some work. It got down to -10C here last night. I bet I win the who-is-the-coldest contest.
netwit - thanks for sharing this. I just bought the trilogy for ,99 on amazon for my kindle. It's gonna be the next on my to read list.

I was so waiting for a new trilogy and hope it'll be as good as you say

Old 11-04-2013, 09:48 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,871,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Just diving into Hillary Mantel's "Wolf Hall". I sure hope it's not another "Pillars of the Earth". If it is, somebody warn me.
One of my favorite lines in Wolf Hall was

At Hampton Court, the kitchens have running water; here, nothing's running but the cooks' noses.

Such a perfect visual of the goings on in a dank old kitchen.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:20 AM

15,893 posts, read 18,169,659 times
I'm reading Hanns and Rudolf: The True Story of the German Jew Who Tracked Down and Caught the Kommandant of Auschwitz by Thomas Harding.

I thought it would be good but I never imagined how fantastic it is. It's a depressing subject and the author has done his homework. It's really a double biography of both Hanns and Rudolf. I'm so impressed with the author's writing style.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:22 AM

2 posts, read 3,565 times
The Death of Santini by Pat Conroy

Old 11-04-2013, 10:45 AM

15 posts, read 13,671 times
The unlikely pilgrimage of Harold Fry. Up until now I think it is very nice and touching.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:17 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,745,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Just diving into Hillary Mantel's "Wolf Hall". I sure hope it's not another "Pillars of the Earth". If it is, somebody warn me.
Some people found Wolf Hall a little hard to get into at first, but their reason was actually the reason I loved it. The reader is listening to Thomas Cromwell's thoughts, and like all of us, his thoughts wander, he has funny internal "nicknames" for people, and he interprets things based on his own experiences.

I could relate to him, because during any events in life, there's much more going on in my head than what's happening around me, or coming out of my mouth. Cromwell also comes off as having deliciously wry sense of humor when in real life, he was likely perceived as cold and humorless.

I loved reading this familiar historical story through Cromwell's point of view.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:25 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,472,851 times
I'm almost finished with "Ghost Story," -- now down to the grand finale (I hope). I'm looking forward to reading the print story of "Chatterton" to see what I didn't get from listening the first 85% of it.

This morning started listening to "Spirit Sickness," by Kirk Mitchell. (Emmett Parker and Anna Turnipseed #2)
This particular Mitchell work reminds me of one by Tony Hillerman, involving a burned out car, but I don't recall Hillerman's title. While I enjoy Mitchell's mysteries, I think he's "drafting" off Hillerman's wake in a lot of his successes. I suppose it happens a lot.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:10 PM

7,215 posts, read 9,171,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
netwit - thanks for sharing this. I just bought the trilogy for ,99 on amazon for my kindle. It's gonna be the next on my to read list.

I was so waiting for a new trilogy and hope it'll be as good as you say
I hope you enjoy it but the thanks is more to Ketabcha. I just finished part 4 of The Breakers last night - The Reapers - and although it was very well written and the characters and their motivations very well drawn out, it didn't grab my attention in the way parts 2 and 3 did. But the guy can definitely write. He has a lot of beautiful lines and observations and I completely buy his characters.

Now I think I am going to start The Abominable by Dan Simmons. I had read his The Terror and never felt so cold in my life. But then he wrote a horrible post-apocalyptic book, title of which I have forgotten, and I just couldn't read anything else by him. But I think I have gotten that book out of my head enough to try reading him again.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:56 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,323,747 times
I am reading A Bend in the Road by Nicholas Sparks. I am about 1/3 into it and so far so good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books