Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2013, 03:24 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times

Advertisements

Thank you raindrop I am picking it up today .I hope I like it .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 05:09 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
I just finished The Ocean at the End of the Lane. Simply magical! I am so glad that I read this book. It has been way too long since I read a book that reminded me of why I loved reading fiction so much.

I am now starting The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. I am taking a break from my Kindle right now because I think that there is something about that little gizmo that steals a bit of the joy of reading from me. I know the Kindle has a ton of advantages, but reading just isn't the same. I might regret my timing for this little Kindle break though because The Goldfinch is a chunky, heavy hardback!

Old 11-13-2013, 05:21 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I am now starting The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt.
I'm looking forward to hearing how you like it. I'm going to read it "soon" -- whenever "soon" is -- and I'd love your perspective about what to expect from it. Her book The Secret History was fabulous. I read it when it first came out. Have you read that one?

Old 11-13-2013, 05:31 AM

Quote:
I just finished The Ocean at the End of the Lane. Simply magical! I am so glad that I read this book. It has been way too long since I read a book that reminded me of why I loved reading fiction so much.

I am now starting The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. I am taking a break from my Kindle right now because I think that there is something about that little gizmo that steals a bit of the joy of reading from me. I know the Kindle has a ton of advantages, but reading just isn't the same. I might regret my timing for this little Kindle break though because The Goldfinch is a chunky, heavy hardback!
I have the goldfinch on my hold list at the library I have heard from other book friends how good it is of course their reading style and mine are somewhat different so Im hoping it is good . Yes Ladies let us all compare notes on books . going today and picking up the book theif on audio book .

Old 11-13-2013, 05:39 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Dawn and Phonelady,

Thank you for your confidence in my thoughts on The Goldfinch. However, if you have something to do while you are waiting for me to finish this novel - something like building a house or touring the globe - go right ahead. I'm sure when you finish your project, I will be at the halfway mark!

Pinetree

PS - the first step is buying a new purse big enough to hold the thing...

Old 11-13-2013, 05:40 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
I am taking a break from my Kindle right now because I think that there is something about that little gizmo that steals a bit of the joy of reading from me. I know the Kindle has a ton of advantages, but reading just isn't the same. I might regret my timing for this little Kindle break though because The Goldfinch is a chunky, heavy hardback!
Yes, I know what you mean. I've felt the same, often. I used to love the feel of the pages with older books, and their stiffness in the new ones. Still, on the few times -- like now, that I am actually reading the book -- it feels so clunky. I am actually looking forward to finishing the two books I have in front of me to get back to the Kindle.)

Old 11-13-2013, 05:43 AM

Have any of you read Unsaid by Neil something cant remember his last name right now but that is one of my top 5 books and I was so enthralled by this book I mean any book that can make me cry is a winner in my mind . I mean I went through some tissues on that book . OMG to the max so if you have never read please do so you will not regret it .TY Dawn you are awesome sweetie .

Old 11-13-2013, 08:21 AM

does anyone have a copy of the pecan man sitting around by any chance I have a book I will gladly trade a brand new book in fact that I just got ...let me know thanks .

Old 11-13-2013, 08:27 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:

I loved The Ocean at the End of the Lane, too. Lyrical writing and a wonderful tale.

I started Breakers, by Edward W. Robertson and I'm not sure about it yet. I'm not crazy about the writing style, especially after just finishing TOATEOTL. But I'll keep going for a while.

I'm with you on the Kindle. The main thing that bothers me about it is not having a physical reference for where I am in the book. It gives you the percentage you've read, but it's not the same as having a bookmark in a spot and seeing how far you've come and how far you have to go. Still, I appreciate all the paper it saves and how portable it is.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:11 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
I finished The Returned although I pretty much skimmed about 2/3rds of it. It was just so drawn out. I am now reading Head in the Clouds by Karen Witemeyer. I'm only a couple of chapters in but so far I'm really liking it. It is Christian fiction, 1880s, Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books