Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2013, 06:01 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times

Advertisements

A Curious Man:
The Strange and Brilliant Life of Robert "Believe it or Not" Ripley
by Neal Thompson

and

Catastrophe 1914:
Europe Goes to War
by Max Hastings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 11:51 PM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times
I finished:

The Lilac Bus
by Maeve Binchy last week. Okay but I know there are better books from here available.

In the Dark by Richard Laymon. This was a little bit slow at the beginning but sucked me in when I finished about 15%. However, it was a bit crazy for my taste, the twists and turns a little bit strange for me.

I rushed through Breakers by Edward W. Robertson. Thanks so much to whoever suggested it a few pages back. Now I'm halfway through Meltdown and I enjoy the series a lot. I guess I don't have any problems with his writing style. Everything about the world going to end is written very well. However, I could live without all the alien stuff. My mind is not as flexible as to imagine such things on its own so I don't really "see" them, if you know what I mean.

Anyways, the story is really good, the characters well drawn.

Hope to find something of that kind again soon.

Has anybody read Divergent? I have it on my wishlist but can't decide to get it...

Old 11-18-2013, 02:28 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,921,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
I got the notification that "The Smoke" by Tony Broadbent and "Anne of Avonlea" by L.M. Montgomery are waiting for me at the library. Since I own "Fifty Shades of Grey," I'll be setting that aside for one of the library books-probably "Anne." I never read these as a kid so I'm making up for it now.
Anne of Green Gables was my FAVORITE series as a child. I'm also a redhead, and was a very precocious child who often got into trouble... so aside from the Canadian orphan part, I could totally relate to Anne.

The second book is very good, as is the third IIRC. The rest of the series gets a bit silly, but is still fun to read.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:33 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,921,120 times
Right now I'm reading This is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper... another pick for the book club I run, which recently requested "something funny." So far it is quite funny, and also a bit raunchy! The book club members are mostly senior (as old as 80-something) ladies, but they're a feisty bunch - so hopefully the language won't scare them, lol.

http://www.amazon.com/This-Is-Where-...4767269&sr=1-1

P.S. I picked The Jane Austen Book Club for them last month, and they all hated it!! I only read about 1/3, and wasn't really digging it either. Wonder why it was so popular?

Old 11-18-2013, 06:39 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Oh my. What a bodacious word. I've never heard it before and it actually took me a while, okay, 2 minutes, to find the definition. "Sickeningly sweet." I agree. I would not want to read a family saga that is glurgy. Yippee! I've learned a new word. Thanks, Chiroptera.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I am going to use glurgy in a sentence at least once tomorrow! It might replace my other favorite word, "logy"
Me, too! Me, too!

Hmmm.... wonder if I can find a way to use them both in the same sentence?

Old 11-18-2013, 11:10 AM

758 posts, read 1,639,467 times
I recently finished Dance with Dragons by George RR Martin. There were admittedly some sections I skimmed, but I enjoyed the book more than I expected (I was dreading reading it). Even Dany, who is one of my least favorite characters to read about, had some interesting chapters. I will admit to being weird, though. Out of all of the books, I had the hardest time getting into the first book.

I also recently read Irreconcilable Differences by Nathan Winograd. Just like with Redemption, I felt simultaneously disheartened and hopefully for a No-Kill nation.

I'm currently reading Unbearable Lightness by Portia De Rossi. So far it is very interesting.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:15 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgemo2 View Post
... I felt simultaneously disheartened and hopefully for a No-Kill nation.
I've never read the book, but I share your sentiments.

I came out here to say how much I am enjoying "Wolf Hall," even with the author's idiosyncrasies I complained about earlier, and the fact that historical fiction is not really my type of read (I always want to know what parts are the history, and what is the fiction). Once I concluded every time she says "he" in reference to the conversation or thoughts she means Cromwell, the reading became more fluid. It's also pretty cool that she's researched the history enough that references to Henry's first wife, Katherine, are in accordance with my earlier readings.

There are amazingly apt descriptions of people's reactions to circumstances that are timeless, and she has a nice way of weaving different aspects of the history and the story to allow me to see realities that nonfictional reading wouldn't.

In short:

Old 11-18-2013, 01:13 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
I finished:

The Lilac Bus
by Maeve Binchy last week. Okay but I know there are better books from here available.

In the Dark by Richard Laymon. This was a little bit slow at the beginning but sucked me in when I finished about 15%. However, it was a bit crazy for my taste, the twists and turns a little bit strange for me.

I rushed through Breakers by Edward W. Robertson. Thanks so much to whoever suggested it a few pages back. Now I'm halfway through Meltdown and I enjoy the series a lot. I guess I don't have any problems with his writing style. Everything about the world going to end is written very well. However, I could live without all the alien stuff. My mind is not as flexible as to imagine such things on its own so I don't really "see" them, if you know what I mean.

Anyways, the story is really good, the characters well drawn.

Hope to find something of that kind again soon.

Has anybody read Divergent? I have it on my wishlist but can't decide to get it...
I didn't understand that alien stuff either. I bought all his characters but it seemed as though the alien part wasn't well developed. I had trouble getting through book one but then the last 20 pages grabbed my attention enough books two and three of the omnibus. And then I bought book 4 separately but I had the same trouble with it as I did with book one.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:09 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
I am currently on page 57 of The Goldfinch (I know the page number because I "dropped to paper" as we say at work when the internet goes down so I have no clue what percentage of the book is remaining) and I am LOVING it! The writing is so descriptive that I can actually see the spaces and feel like I know people who look just like the characters.

Lots and lots of pages to go - please don't let me down, Donna Tartt!

Old 11-18-2013, 07:00 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,149,274 times
Well, I'm not about to read all 262 pages of this thread so I don't know if anyone mentioned this book:

Amazon.com: The Secret Rescue: An Untold Story of American Nurses and Medics Behind Nazi Lines eBook: Cate Lineberry: Books

It's the true story about some American nurses and medics during WWII who ended up crash-landing in Albania. At that time Albania was infested with Nazis and the Albanians were also going through a civil war, so the poor Americans landed in a snake pit!

So far, it's very exciting! I love fiction, but I actually prefer non-fiction.

I only found out about it because it was the Kindle Daily Deal and was only $1.99 that day.

I love the Kindle Daily Deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books