Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2013, 08:33 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,993 times

Advertisements

I gave up on Head in the Clouds and returned it to the library. It was good but I was just not reading as fast as I wanted to be so I'll get it again another time. Read a couple of shorter stories with Christmas themes as well as re-read The Heretic's Daughter. I'm thinking orphan train theme is up next. I have a few I've purchased on the old Fire to read. I have 3 days off work after today, so I'm hoping to relax and enjoy reading for part of the time anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 08:48 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
I intersperse my reading genres with apocalyptic (zombies are usually involved) fiction. I never dreamed in my younger years that I would read that kind of books. But, truth be told, I love them.

I'm reading a kindle freebie now titled Resurrection Planet and it has turned out to be a very good read.
The author is Lucas Cole. It doesn't have the usual editorial errors with the exception of the one that always bothers me the most: using "then" instead of "than."

So, if you like that kind of story, I recommend it. It's actually deeper than most.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:51 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,545,155 times
LookinforMaybury - I liked Dorothea Benton Frank's books about the islands off of Charleston. I especially like how she integrates history of the area into her novels, such as that couple that were living in the house where Porgy and Bess was written. Can't remember the title right now. We have visited Charleston twice but if we go again would love to stay on one of the islands, perhaps Folly.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:22 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I intersperse my reading genres with apocalyptic (zombies are usually involved) fiction. I never dreamed in my younger years that I would read that kind of books. But, truth be told, I love them.

I'm reading a kindle freebie now titled Resurrection Planet and it has turned out to be a very good read.
The author is Lucas Cole. It doesn't have the usual editorial errors with the exception of the one that always bothers me the most: using "then" instead of "than."

So, if you like that kind of story, I recommend it. It's actually deeper than most.
I think I'll go look for this one. Thanks!!

ETA: It is now 99 cents. Just in case anyone else is interested in it.

Last edited by fromupthere; 11-27-2013 at 09:29 AM.. Reason: because

Old 11-27-2013, 01:41 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
LookinforMaybury - I liked Dorothea Benton Frank's books about the islands off of Charleston. I especially like how she integrates history of the area into her novels, such as that couple that were living in the house where Porgy and Bess was written. Can't remember the title right now. We have visited Charleston twice but if we go again would love to stay on one of the islands, perhaps Folly.
Yes, "Folly Island" is the one where the protagonist is staying in the Porgy House. I think that is why my friend recommended it, because I asked her about the opera's author (Gershwin).

Old 11-27-2013, 07:30 PM

7,364 posts, read 5,478,782 times
I'm reading The Book Thief. I see they are making a movie of this book now.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:34 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
I'm reading We Live in Water by Jess Walter.

I don't even know why I bought it. I don't care for short stories but this book is very good so far. The author has the knack for introducing the characters fully. They are fleshed out and done well enough that I identify with some of them even though we have nothing in common that I know of. There must be something there.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:03 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
"Bad Monkey"

by one very funny/clever author:
Carl Hiassen
Not to be confused with "Bad Monkeys", by Matt Ruff, which I found to be a very good and readable book, even if you're not into that genre of surreal futuristic adventure.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:17 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
I started the goldfinch and it is so boring I dont know if I will finish it or not ....please tell me someone who has read it , does it get any better ? right now this book is making me regret my decision to pick it up .

Old 11-29-2013, 09:12 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,350,704 times
Sixth book in the Eskarr series by Sam Barone. Really, he is an exceptional writer. I am surprised this series has not been picked up for a movie, it would be epic. He also has two cats, who supervise his writing, so in the third book, a cat saves Eskarr from death.

I recommend this series for anyone who likes historical fiction. Well written.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books