Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2013, 05:00 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times

Advertisements

I'm reading John Ajvide Lindqvist's Let Me In.

It's a very unusual book and it is also a vampire tale but IMO that is not the thrust of the story. It's full of exceptional character development. There are so many characters that it took me a while to tell them apart and to remember which social group they were members of. Some of that is due to the fact that the author is Swedish and this book takes place in Sweden. Some of the names are unfamiliar to me and I don't hold on to those monikers as well as I usually do. We have the "old drunks" at the neighborhood bar who are interesting fellows, the mean preteen kids at the school, the police and several characters that don't fit into any of the groups but who are very important to the story.

I don't read many vampire books these days but this one seemed to receive such positive attention that I decided to make the leap.

I'm glad I did because it's a good book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 05:06 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 247crw View Post
Right now I am reading, The Center Cannot Hold by Elyn Saks. It is a memoir about her experiences with schizophrenia. It is beautifully written and really expresses what her experience with schizophrenia is like in a wonderfully clear way.

I am working as a therapist right now and some of my clients are schizophrenic, so I really appreciate reading about schizophrenia from a first-hand perspective, to complement the more scholarly literature and theory.
I don't know if you have read An Unquiet Mind: A Memoir of Moods and Madness by Kay Redfield Jamison.

It is a tale of bipolar disease and the author, a doctor, wrote it about her own experiences with the illness.

I think it is an amazing book and I highly recommend it.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:15 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I was going to start Goldfinch but I'm not ready to start such a long book with so much going on this month.

I'm reading Margot by Jillian Cantor instead. Someone here talked about it and it sounded interesting. It's a fictional account of Anne Frank's sister, had she not died in a concentration camp, as reported.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:31 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,599,549 times
I've started The Goldfinch, an am absolutely loving it. Tears streaming down my face.

I'd like to know what others are thinking about this book. I haven't seen/read any interviews with Donna Tartt. Influenced by 9/11?

Should take me another 3 or 4 days, probably. Or less, since I'm so involved in it I might not be able to do anything else but read! (But I have to make cookies for the community cookie sale, oh no!)

Old 12-01-2013, 11:17 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I've started The Goldfinch, an am absolutely loving it. Tears streaming down my face.

I'd like to know what others are thinking about this book. I haven't seen/read any interviews with Donna Tartt. Influenced by 9/11?

Should take me another 3 or 4 days, probably. Or less, since I'm so involved in it I might not be able to do anything else but read! (But I have to make cookies for the community cookie sale, oh no!)
Here's the interview I read just before the book was released.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/21/bo...wanted=1&_r=1&

Old 12-02-2013, 02:46 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post

!

I drug this book everywhere with me for the past week just so I could sneak in reading moments whenever I got the chance!

Here is a link to a Charlie Rose interview with Donna Tartt. Donna Tartt Interview: Bestselling Author Discusses 'The Goldfinch' In Rare TV Appearance (VIDEO)

Apparently she doesn't give many interviews.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:05 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
The Goldfinch $2.99 Kindle special today.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:15 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,647,352 times
Right now I'm reading 12 Years a Slave, by Solomon Northutt. I haven't seen the movie yet but I strongly recommend the book. As terrible as we know slavery was, Northutt goes into much greater detail than I had ever seen about the barbaric cruelty that was inflicted on the slaves, and the constant fear that was present every day of their lives. I can't escape the feeling that every one of those slave owners should have felt lucky every day of their lives that their slaves didn't kill them in their sleep, which is what they deserved.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:13 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
The Goldfinch $2.99 Kindle special today.
Sounds good and price is right..just ordered it for Kindle

Old 12-03-2013, 09:17 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,224,900 times
James Rollins - The Devil Colony ... Fiction along the lines of Cussler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books