Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2013, 10:30 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times

Advertisements

I am about 20% through The Goldfinch and sorry I started it as I'm reading a bit at night and during lunch.
This book is so good and rich it deserves a few hours in a comfy chair with no distractions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 04:20 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Has anyone read "The Bully Pulpit " by Doris Kerns Goodwin ? just wondering cause it looked pretty good from what I read in the discription . Just let me know if you have read it .

Old 12-11-2013, 05:48 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,374,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Has anyone read "The Bully Pulpit " by Doris Kerns Goodwin ? just wondering cause it looked pretty good from what I read in the discription . Just let me know if you have read it .

I haven't read it but I agree it looks interesting and I added it to my wishlist for now. I have 80 or 90 unread just on my Kindle and many dozens in actual paper that are waiting to be read and I don't want to get so many waiting that I feel too overwhelmed. I think I have 50 or more on the wishlist at this point.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:31 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I'm definitely reading this.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:55 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
I just finished Testimony by Anita Shreve. I'm glad I read it. The story is modern day and centers on a private high school in a small town in Vermont. There is a scandal and the story is about how the scandal ruins so many lives.

It's not a thrilling read but it is a great character study and reflects on how the things that people do can wreck their lives and the lives of those around them. It's also horribly depressing and it is also a good book.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:12 AM

Concerning the bully pulpit , can anyone tell Im a history major from Harvard ? LOL ...I just love American History and so much I wanted to be a history teacher and I let someone run me off from that occupation (stupid move I will always regret ) . I worked really hard for that degree and worked my butt off to pay my loans off as well . But just wanted to say glad so many of my fellow readers want to read the bully pulpit as well , Thank you all for that . I dont think it will be a waist of my time .

Old 12-12-2013, 10:00 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
I am enjoying Annie Proulx's "That Old Ace in the Hole". She is an observant writer, and sees things through very much the same kind of prism that I do. I have never read her "Shipping News" and probably won't because I lived too long in Newfoundland, and would probably be impatient with the comments of someone who was just passing through. I thought the movie missed the depth of the place.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I am enjoying Annie Proulx's "That Old Ace in the Hole". She is an observant writer, and sees things through very much the same kind of prism that I do. I have never read her "Shipping News" and probably won't because I lived too long in Newfoundland, and would probably be impatient with the comments of someone who was just passing through. I thought the movie missed the depth of the place.
I did like The Shipping News.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:50 AM

I'm 1/3 into Life After Life by Kate Atkinson and am becoming increasingly bored with the story. Even a promised surprise ending will not make me slog through to the end.
Some of these books are about 100 pages too long. and they become repetitious as other posters have mentioned. I remember award winning novels were usually 300 pages. Now, it's about 400. An article I read blames American writers and editors for "fat" books. The article was published in a British newspaper.

In the meantime, I've finished The Dinner by Edward Koch. Apparently, the book is a hit in Europe. It's dark and depressing with interesting, but not very moral charaters. I thought it was a compelling read. The Dinner has been compared to Gone Girl which I did not read.

The Good Lord Bird by James McBride looks very promising. It is about a slave boy in Kansas who is abducted by John Brown after Brown kills his father and the slavemaster. The abolitionist mistakenly believes the boy is a girl.

Old 12-12-2013, 04:22 PM

well I am going to try and start the aviators wife by melanie benjamin . I throughly enjoyed "Mrs Tom Thumb " written by her . Since I dont think I have ever seen this book mentioned here before , I was wondering if any of you have read "The aviators wife " ? I will come back and let you all know what I think of this one .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books