Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2013, 11:50 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times

Advertisements

just finished and great book I finished it in two days yeah ,,,,"The very thought of you by rosie allison . One of my faves .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 03:35 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
... I can't help comparing him with a hypothetical Jack Kerouac, who has matured enough to write much better, but has not grown up enough to write about adult themes. It is enjoyable writing, but I want to excuse myself and leave the party.
I absolutely love reading your reactions to books. You should write professionally. You would probably irritate a few people, but I think the majority would be thrilled by your frank appraisals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
just finished and great book I finished it in two days yeah ,,,,"The very thought of you by rosie allison . One of my faves .
So glad you found a good one! I was worried....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Just finished "84 Charing Cross Road," a collection of letters between the author, Helene Hanff and the bookstore in London where she obtained her beloved books. It was a delight. I was chuckling throughout the short read and now DH wants to read it, too.
Update: DH just finished it and thought it every bit as entertaining as I did. I wanted to visit these people.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:41 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,574,700 times
I'm reading "The agony and the ecstasy" by Irving Stone. It's the fictionalized version of the life of Michelangelo. I'm really enjoying it. It's an easy read and extremely well researched.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:22 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Im now reading the year the colored sisters came to town and I hope this is also a good one . after that I will be reading cotton song . I hope cotton song is good as well .

Old 12-28-2013, 06:30 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,159,514 times
I recently read "The Chaperone" by Laura Moriarty and it was a real page turner with lots of surprises - I highly recommend this book. It is about a young Louise Brooks being chaperoned on her first trip to NYC before fame hits. The book focuses more on Cora Carlisle, her chaperone, and her attempts to find her biological family in NYC. Cora is really strait-laced in the beginning but she will surprise everyone at the end.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:36 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,834,047 times
Struggle for Europe by Chester Wilmont

Old 12-28-2013, 08:56 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
I recently read "The Chaperone" by Laura Moriarty and it was a real page turner with lots of surprises - I highly recommend this book. It is about a young Louise Brooks being chaperoned on her first trip to NYC before fame hits. The book focuses more on Cora Carlisle, her chaperone, and her attempts to find her biological family in NYC. Cora is really strait-laced in the beginning but she will surprise everyone at the end.
I learned about this book on this forum and really enjoyed it too!

Old 12-28-2013, 09:18 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
I liked this one, too.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:39 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I'm reading "The agony and the ecstasy" by Irving Stone. It's the fictionalized version of the life of Michelangelo. I'm really enjoying it. It's an easy read and extremely well researched.
I love historical fiction! I don't the book with me right now but I'm reading a fictional story of Leonardo Da Vinci and I'm loving it. It's not exceptionally well written, but I'm not letting that stand in my way.

I got it as a free download on Amazon, and the new Assassin's Creed which hubby and son are obsessed with take part in Italy with the Medici's and Borgia. It's a time period I started watching and reading about after the Borgia came out on Netflix and Showtime.

The family that nerd's together, stays together.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-29-2013, 07:31 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
I finished A Street Cat Named Bob and How He Saved My Life by James Bowen yesterday.

Oh my, what a delight this book is. True story about a fellow in London. He was doing his best to get off drugs and was busking (I learned the meaning of that word in the book) as a singer on the streets. He meets Bob the street cat. James's life turns around over the next 2 years. Bob is his constant companion. Bob becomes a celebrity of sorts with folks taking his picture, bringing him gifts on the street, etc.

Yeah, it sounds kind of hokey but it's true. The book is well written. It feels very much like having a chat with James. There are ups and downs but the ups are much more often than the downs. I ended the book feeling "up" myself. If you are in the mood for some light reading that is also feel-good then this book is worth the time spent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books