Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2013, 08:39 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I'm kind of interested. Is Outlander more like a romance, or more like an adventure story? It's hard to tell from the reviews. I can't stand a schmarmy romance, but since it's so popular I'm thinking there must be more to it.

For $1.99, I should probably just download it and see, right?
I get where you are coming from. When my SIL first recommended the series to me several years ago, I was very hesitant as reading the book description made me think it was just some long trashy romance novel. While there is romance, there is so very much more. First, fair warning, there is time travel. I know that has turned off others. The time traveling is really only between two different time periods and isn't like some sci-fi type time travel (IMO). I do remember when I first read Outlander that it took like 50 pages or so before I really started liking it. But it is so good!! There are currently 7 books with #8 due out in June and a 9th book has not been ruled out as far as the last rumors I heard. Many people re-read the books frequently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 09:29 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
So, Stephen Konkoly has the first book of a new series out. WOW, is that poor grammar or what? LOL

I decided to reread a previous book of his titled The Jakarta Pandemic first. I donated that book to Goodwill a few years back. I went to amazon (to visit the queen) and the price was $0.00. Free? Guess why? Amazon is giving me the kindle edition free because I had bought the hardback from them way back when. I had no idea they did this. Cool beans (blackeyed peas).

Old 12-31-2013, 09:38 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I get where you are coming from. When my SIL first recommended the series to me several years ago, I was very hesitant as reading the book description made me think it was just some long trashy romance novel. While there is romance, there is so very much more. First, fair warning, there is time travel. I know that has turned off others. The time traveling is really only between two different time periods and isn't like some sci-fi type time travel (IMO). I do remember when I first read Outlander that it took like 50 pages or so before I really started liking it. But it is so good!! There are currently 7 books with #8 due out in June and a 9th book has not been ruled out as far as the last rumors I heard. Many people re-read the books frequently.
Thanks! I love big series, so I'll download the first one and see what happens.

Old 12-31-2013, 02:13 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
I think I read the Outlander years ago and it seems like I enjoyed it. I never went back to read the series, but it is very popular.

I am only 15% into the "Tolstoy My Father: Reminiscences" but I am loving it. He doesn't go off on his own trip like Proust, but just provides snippets of memories of his life from his early childhood (so far), interjecting stories and legends of the family's ancestors. I feel like I am better understanding not just Tolstoy, but the times of the late 19th century in Russia.

As an aside, I learned that Tolstoy: served in the last days of the Crimea War, had bouts of suicidal tendencies while writing "Anna Karenina," and became quite spiritual in his later years. Also, he was buried by the local peasants in a grove of trees he loved as a child on the land where he was born.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:16 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Ok, I added Outlander to my library list. I'm not much for the romance, but I love some good historical fiction.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-31-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I think I read the Outlander years ago and it seems like I enjoyed it. I never went back to read the series, but it is very popular.
I know there is another Outlander book out there by I think a male author. You should check it out again, though. Just in case.

Old 12-31-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Ok, I added Outlander to my library list. I'm not much for the romance, but I love some good historical fiction.
Oh the romance part is only a part of the story. There is so very much more to it! Pretty much anything you can think of is part of this series. There's history, there's battle, there's travel, there's romance, there's illness, there's medicine. Oh my goodness, there is just so much to it. I really hope you like it!

Old 12-31-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I know there is another Outlander book out there by I think a male author. You should check it out again, though. Just in case.
Otherland by Tad Williams? I enjoyed that, but haven't read the rest in the series.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:43 PM

Ok, I just realized that 1Q84 is almost 1000 pages.... and is known for a somewhat meandering style. Which is a mix almost guaranteed for me to lose interest. But I'm 8% of the way in and enjoying it so far. Not sure if I'll be able to finish it before the library loan expires though, unless I turn off my WIFI.

My new Kindle is supposed to come in today!!!

Old 12-31-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Otherland by Tad Williams? I enjoyed that, but haven't read the rest in the series.
No, The Outlander.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books