Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2013, 07:52 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Ok, I just realized that 1Q84 is almost 1000 pages.... and is known for a somewhat meandering style. Which is a mix almost guaranteed for me to lose interest. But I'm 8% of the way in and enjoying it so far. Not sure if I'll be able to finish it before the library loan expires though, unless I turn off my WIFI.

My new Kindle is supposed to come in today!!!
LOL! I NEVER turn my wifi on, on my Kindle. I take as long as I need to read a story and that's that. It isn't like we can share them or anything.

I used to love the meandering stories that I could get lost in, but now -- not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 12:09 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,155,603 times
The Glass Castle, a memoir about a daughter's life growing up with "deeply dysfunctional" parents.

The Glass Castle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just started it yesterday but hooked, so far. It's extremely well-written and readable.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:57 AM

3,943 posts, read 6,372,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
The Glass Castle, a memoir about a daughter's life growing up with "deeply dysfunctional" parents.

The Glass Castle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just started it yesterday but hooked, so far. It's extremely well-written and readable.
Then you will love Half Broke Horses and The Silver Star by Jeannette Walls.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:28 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,368,233 times
Finished “Sex Sleep Eat Drink Dream: A Day in the Life of Your Body” by Jennifer Ackerman (2007).
It was okay, but I've read much of the same material in other books.

Began "The Righteous Mind: Why Good People are Divided by Politics and Religion" by Jonathan Haidt (2012):
Quote:
“I want to show you that an obsession with rightness (leading inevitably to self-righteousness) is the normal human condition.
It is a feature of our evolutionary design, not a bug or error that crept into minds that would otherwise be objective and rational.”

Old 01-01-2014, 03:02 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Charles Portis' "True Grit". Short and blunt. A nice Arkansas story told in vernacular. Source of the John Wayne "Rooster Cogburn" movie.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:43 PM

243 posts, read 452,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
Then you will love Half Broke Horses and The Silver Star by Jeannette Walls.
Oooh, I second Half Broke Horses. I got it for my birthday last year and loved it .

Old 01-01-2014, 07:16 PM

5,475 posts, read 6,296,558 times
I started reading "Call Of The Wild" by Jack London last night, and it's every bit as good as I remember it being when I read it as a kid.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:59 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
I third the jeanette walls books . I just picked up two books from the library . one is especially interesting since I was a history major in college and that is "A tale of madness , medicine and the murder of a president by candice millard . I sure hope it is a good one . The 2nd one is "Whistling past the graveyard " by susan crandall . I hope these two are good . Oh well kudos peeps will let you know how I like these . take care .

Old 01-02-2014, 12:22 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
I finished Death Dealer, Hoess' memoirs. Apparently this particular book contains some things that were edited out of other editions of his memoirs. I read it for the history but there is always only so much of this particular history I can take. Summation: "whaa, whaa, whaa, it's not my fault."

From his farewell letter to his wife: "...Most of the terrible and horrible things that took place there I learned only during this investigation and during the trial itself. I cannot describe how I was decieved, how my directives were twisted, and all the things they had carried out supposedly under my orders. I certainly hope the guilty will not escape justice."

Anyway, reading it reminded me of something I had read years ago about "foo fighters" during the world wars - mysterious flying objects, sometimes perceived as 'swords' or 'coffins' and in my memory of what I read before, not always flying unidentified objects, and then I searched Amazon for anything about foo fighters and came up with one book - Strange Company by Keith Chester. It is not a typical UFO book. Much better written and researched.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:53 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Sad to report - The Interestings is not very interesting...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books