Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2014, 04:49 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,069,126 times

Advertisements

I have just started reading "The Bully Pulpit " and I am throughly loving it and of course that could be because I was a history major and never learned some of these things . I know im going to really love this book . take care all and I will be back to let you all know how I liked it .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 06:14 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,542,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I have just started reading "The Bully Pulpit " and I am throughly loving it and of course that could be because I was a history major and never learned some of these things . I know im going to really love this book . take care all and I will be back to let you all know how I liked it .
I know what you mean. I didn't major in history, but had high school required reading not been so dry and lifeless I might have done so. I started reading history in my early thirties, starting with Howard Zinn's "A People's History of the United States" and could not put it down! I was astounded at the information that I'd never known before. Since then I've read many authors, including those whose writings were "in" the times they wrote about. History is most definitely alive, especially when the author is passionate about the events.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:34 AM

33 posts, read 57,246 times
Cutting For Stone by Abraham Verghese. It is wonderful.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:57 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,544,063 times
"A Story Lately Told" by Anjelica Huston - It's interesting by a bit fragmented. I realize she isn't officially a writer and much of it includes the names of people she had interactions with and many of her relatives. It's ok. I got it for Christmas but probably wouldn't have bought it for myself. It's mostly about her early life in Ireland and England. I am about 7/8 of the way through it and she hasn't even mentioned Jack Nicholson, who she was with for 8 years. She does give some interesting things about her famous father, John Houston. IMO she lived a very unconventional life.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:53 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,251,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I haven't started The Bully Pulpit yet. Have you read Goodwin's memoir Wait Till Next Year? It's one of my favorites especially if you're a baseball fan.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I know what you mean. I didn't major in history, but had high school required reading not been so dry and lifeless I might have done so. I started reading history in my early thirties, starting with Howard Zinn's "A People's History of the United States" and could not put it down! I was astounded at the information that I'd never known before. Since then I've read many authors, including those whose writings were "in" the times they wrote about. History is most definitely alive, especially when the author is passionate about the events.
I intend to read Zinn's book. I've had the book on my shelves for a couple years and have read it yet.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:57 PM

7,304 posts, read 9,311,516 times
I'm reading a very strange book. So strange I won't even mention it here. it's so strange I have to keep reading it and I could never explain in a million years how I came across it and you guys would all think I am crazy.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:19 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,011,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I'm reading a very strange book. So strange I won't even mention it here. it's so strange I have to keep reading it and I could never explain in a million years how I came across it and you guys would all think I am crazy.
Spill...!

Old 01-16-2014, 02:54 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,069,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I haven't started The Bully Pulpit yet. Have you read Goodwin's memoir Wait Till Next Year? It's one of my favorites especially if you're a baseball fan.
Not a baseball fan at all and I used to date a fellow who was crazy about baseball and I could have cared less ...LOL but no I think I will skip it thanks

Old 01-16-2014, 02:55 PM

LFM, the only Rendell book I read was Tigerlily's Orchids (the title drew me to the book, lol) and didn't think it was anything special, but I don't read that many mysteries. Maybe Rendell writes too many books and prefers quantity over quality.

The Good Lord Bird by James McBride is narrated by a young male slave kidnapped by John Brown. Brown mistakes the boy for a girl and dubs him "Onion". Onion travels with Brown, relating incidents leading up to Brown's failure at Harper's Ferry. The book is written in the vernacular of the 1850's with liberal use of terms that may insult some. Although the book is set in a tragic time in history, there are many humorous scenes throughout. I loved Onion and recommend this book for posters who enjoy historical fiction.

The Other Typist was described as a psychological thriller set in the 1920's, a combination of Hitchcock and Patricia Highsmith. I've never read Highsmith, but Suzanne Rindell is no Hitchcock. I drew my own conclusions at the end because too many questions were left unanswered. Some posters have compared this book to Gone Girl and The Silent Wife.

I'm presently reading The Mayor of MacDougal Street, an autobiography by Dave Van Ronk. The Llewyn Davis movie is partly inspired by this book. I want to start Wolf Hall by Hillary Mantel.

Thanks to the posters who recommended the following books and authors.
Moonstone byWilkie Collins
Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt.
Disobedience by Jane Hamilton
The poster who recommended conversations with Dr. Paul Farmer. I downloaded Mountains beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder . Among School Children by Kidder is one of my favorite books. House was also excellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books