Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2014, 10:10 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,314,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
You're right I do think you are strange, but only because you think reading that particular book is some how strange or at least think others might believe your reading it is so. However, good for you if reading this is expanding your interest in reading materials.

I looked it up, sounds rather interesting. Not to say, I will be rushing out to read it, but it seems like it may be a good read.
It wasn't a good read or a bad read. It was a strange read. In some ways the writer was all over the place. And I did feel embarrassed reading it, in the way that I always feel embarrassed when I think that if someone saw me reading it they might think I am into evangelising Jews or anyone for that matter. Growing up among a very religious community has made me super self-conscious about that. It was the title that caught my eye - it is a catchy and curious title.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 10:15 PM

Now could someone explain two things about Kindle to me? Why, when I download a sample on the actual Kindle, does it take forever? I have the wi-fi and 3G Paperwhite. When I buy via the ipad, it is instantaneous. And the other question I have is about formatting - why aren't all the lines on the Kindle fully justified the way they are in real books? Is that odd formatting something that can't be overcome and therefore shouldn't be reported as a content error?

Old 01-16-2014, 10:19 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Now could someone explain two things about Kindle to me? Why, when I download a sample on the actual Kindle, does it take forever? I have the wi-fi and 3G Paperwhite. When I buy via the ipad, it is instantaneous. And the other question I have is about formatting - why aren't all the lines on the Kindle fully justified the way they are in real books? Is that odd formatting something that can't be overcome and therefore shouldn't be reported as a content error?
I don't know why you are having problems downloading samples. I download books via the Kindle Paperwhite very quickly. But I can guess about formatting. When you change the type size, the formatting is changed. If you knew the size of the original, you could probably match the formatting pretty well, but if like me, you use a larger type size, that will mess up the original formatting.

I agree that the Kindle versions of books are not as finished and pleasing as are nicely print and bound books. But I think Kindle books almost always beat cheap paperbacks in terms of aesthetics.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I don't know why you are having problems downloading samples. I download books via the Kindle Paperwhite very quickly. But I can guess about formatting. When you change the type size, the formatting is changed. If you knew the size of the original, you could probably match the formatting pretty well, but if like me, you use a larger type size, that will mess up the original formatting.

I agree that the Kindle versions of books are not as finished and pleasing as are nicely print and bound books. But I think Kindle books almost always beat cheap paperbacks in terms of aesthetics.
Well, I just tried downloading a sample again via the Paperwhite which is on Wi-Fi and it took from 11:56 to 12:09 before it showed up. That is very strange, isn't it? I haven't found that occurring when I purchase via the ipad which is on the same Wi-Fi connection and have it sent to the Kindle.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:06 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
The poster who recommended conversations with Dr. Paul Farmer. I downloaded Mountains beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder . Among School Children by Kidder is one of my favorite books. House was also excellent.
I was the one who mentioned Dr. Paul Farmer. I "backed into" Mountains Beyond Mountains mostly because I am a big fan of Tracy Kidder's writing - first Among Schoolchildren, then House and then I found Mountains. I wish I could thank Tracy Kidder for introducing me to Dr. Paul Farmer because learning about his passion and his work really put me on a different path professionally. I am savoring In the Company of the Poor...

Old 01-17-2014, 07:56 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,687 times
Quote:
I know.

Oh yes, you will.

I can't explain how I came across this book because I am not sure how that happened and it is not like anything I usually read or have ever read. At first I thought from the description of the book on Amazon that it was fiction, and so I googled the subject and it was not fiction. And then for some strange reason I became interested. But it is a really strange book (to me). I finished it.

The Rabbi Who Found Messiah: The Story of Yitzhak Kaduri.

Now aren't you all sorry you wondered? It is the strangest book I have ever read. It is just strange.
You are so not strange or weird or anything of the like. I think it sounds intriguing and I can understand why you would have started reading it.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:58 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,687 times
Quote:
I've noticed with my Kindle Fire that occasionally I will download a book and it doesn't show up for a bit, but others are there instantaneously. It doesn't happen often but enough times that I've noticed. I have no answers, though.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:01 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
I gave up on When I Found You by Catherine Ryan Hyde. Interesting premise (man finds infant, wants to adopt him but can't, boy later ends up living with man), but that's about it.

I'm going to start The Good Earth by Pearl Buck tonight. I've never read it but one of my real life reader buddies says it's her favorite book.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:54 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
I gave up on the sue monk kidd's "The invention of wings " not worth the read really is not and I was so bored I feel asleep reading it yep sure did ...ugh still with the bully pulpit and I can tell you it is an awesome read so far so take heed , it is a big book and it will most likely take me two weeks to read it . Oh well so far so good .

Old 01-17-2014, 02:29 PM

Has anyone read or started to read Kim Stanley Robinson's new book, Shaman? It is about stone aged peoples this time. I downloaded a sample which seemed pretty good but I'm not sure about starting it right now. I also dabbled in The Source by Michener, which I could have sworn I read years ago but which seems very dry to me now and which I don't remember reading at all. I think reading two very strange books almost in a row has wrecked havoc with my ability to settle down in a book. I was dabbling all over the place with samples last night. The Savage Boy by Nick Cole also seems interesting - along the lines of The Road by McCormac.

I'd hate to think I was stuck in a weird book mode since I didn't actually enjoy them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books