Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2014, 09:52 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Originally Posted by phonelady61

a new one came in and I was not expecting it the title is "The invention of wings "by sue monk kidd yes she wrote the secret life of bees and Im starting this one too ...I will let you guys know on this one too .

I downloaded it and started to read but Oprah's notes are annoying the hell out of me and don't know how to get rid of them, I bookmark where I left off but keeps bringing me to her notes...grrrrrr.
That's it for Oprah's picks I don't need or want her dam notes in my book ( and I don't order a book because she endorsed it)
UPdate:

I had pre ordered this book before it's release and it did not mention Oprahs notes. I contacted Amazon, as it was frustrating to be constantly taken to Oprah's notes while trying to read it, you had no control over it. They are refunding me and once that is done, I can now order a version available without her dam notes.

Anyone thinking of buying and don't want Oprah's annoying notes make sure you find the one that does NOT have Oprah's book club selection on the jacket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 02:13 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Update on the invention of wings I hated it , I really did . Im onto my family for the war and divining women and the cat is up next . The cat sounds interesting , It is about a woman who loses her son and starts to take care of his cat and along the way she learns some things about herself . I know this one will make me cry and that is okay with me I feel the need for a good cry .

Old 01-23-2014, 06:44 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
a new one came in and I was not expecting it the title is "The invention of wings "by sue monk kidd yes she wrote the secret life of bees and Im starting this one too ...I will let you guys know on this one too .
I read the Secret Life of Bees and gave it 1 star on Goodreads. Guess I didn't like it, lol.

Right now I am enjoying my kindle and reading The Dead Room by Robert Ellis. I am enjoying the story.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:38 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,461,254 times
I'm reading, The Last Runaway, by Tracy Chevalier author of Girl With A Pearl Earring. I can't figure out for the life of me whom and or which section of the forum it was that this book was mentioned, but something the person said prompted me to reserve and pick up this book from the library. Glad I listened it's turned out to be quite interesting.

I've always found the Quakers to be quite interesting people, even before becoming aware of a connection to a family member. Some years ago, I do recall reading another book with the Quakers as the focal point of the story, but that book just didn't hold my attention so I never got more than four or so chapters into it; the title escapes me. This book, though, it's quite fascinating. Looking through the eyes of someone just making their way into America in the and being of a Quaker mindset on top of that is just doubly interesting. So far, the young woman has already witness some very harsh realities and not sure how this will affect how future convictions.

I started today, I'm about five or six chapters in. It's light reading as far as the written words, I had to check the cover to see if it was for young adults, must also be the large print that's throwing me off a bit. LOL

Old 01-23-2014, 08:20 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
UPdate:

I had pre ordered this book before it's release and it did not mention Oprahs notes. I contacted Amazon, as it was frustrating to be constantly taken to Oprah's notes while trying to read it, you had no control over it. They are refunding me and once that is done, I can now order a version available without her dam notes.

Anyone thinking of buying and don't want Oprah's annoying notes make sure you find the one that does NOT have Oprah's book club selection on the jacket.
There were so many complaints, it looks likes it's removed at least from the Kindle.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:57 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,368,233 times
Completed “In the Kingdom of the Sick: A Social History of Chronic Illness in America” by Laurie Edwards (2013).
It was kind of dry, but that's rather the nature of the type of book it is-
people with chronic physical illnesses might find it more actively affirming of their experience (than I did).
It was intelligent and insightful analysis, but didn't really engross me, personally-I did take notes on it, though.

Quote:
“Rosalind Jaffe....offers three important characteristics experts agree are often found in chronic illness:
the symptoms are invisible, symptoms and disease progression vary from person to person, and the disease progression and worsening or improvement of symptoms are impossible to predict.”
Quote:
“With visible disability, noticeable symptoms are both cause for comment and discrimination as well as the “evidence” through which individuals can access resources and accommodations.
With invisible illness, the very same lack of obvious symptoms that allows us discretion over when to disclose illness can lead to further isolation or alienation.”

Old 01-23-2014, 09:57 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
the wolf gift, ann rice

Old 01-23-2014, 11:15 PM

218 posts, read 544,254 times
...currently reading A Well-Tempered Heart....I am only 7 pages in or so and it's as good as it's sister The Art of Hearing Heartbeats.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:30 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,372,574 times
Doctor Sleep by Stephen King. Just 50 pages in so far but it is good, which I can't always say about recent King.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:19 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Doctor Sleep by Stephen King. Just 50 pages in so far but it is good, which I can't always say about recent King.
I am patiently waiting for my son to finish my copy of this book so I can read it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books