Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2014, 06:36 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
I'm almost 2/3 through the 300-page “America Anonymous: Eight Addicts in Search of a Life” by Benoit Denizet-Lewis (2009) ...
I'm enjoying the book, it mixes analysis and case studies/stories, which is a writing style I can easily absorb/comprehend.
Those were great quotes, and every one of them true. I don't think that there is one of us that isn't limited in some way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfab1 View Post
It just goes to show that a closed mind not only closes out bad opinions, but often good ones as well, and in the very short time that i've been on this forum I've seen many new, interesting, and exploration-worthy viewpoints!
Yep, this is the place. I love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 06:16 AM

757 posts, read 1,024,427 times
I've just finished reading Einstein The Life and Times by Ronald W. Clark. It is a great read for anyone who has even a remote interest in Einstein as a genius physicist, uncertain pacifist, enthusiastic Zionist, a humorous gentleman and above all a greatly humble human being. Highly recommend it.

Last edited by R. Crusoe; 01-27-2014 at 06:37 AM..

Old 01-27-2014, 09:45 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,461,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Crusoe View Post
I've just finished reading Einstein The Life and Times by Ronald W. Clark. It is a great read for anyone who has even a remote interest in Einstein as a genius physicist, uncertain pacifist, enthusiastic Zionist, a humorous gentleman and above all a greatly humble human being. Highly recommend it.

I once had a copy, never got to read it, I'm now itching for something good to read, since finishing up The Last Runaway, yesterday, so sorry to be done with it I tried to drag those last few pages out as long as possible. I need to fill the void asap, I'll be stopping in at the library tomorrow, so, I'll add this to the list along with a few other suggested books. The book Ketabcha, mentioned isn't on my library shelf, so it must be too new. Sigh. Actually feeling a tad bit lost without a really good read.

Going to scan through the rest of the thread for some more recommendations.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:48 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
I absoloutly loved "My family for the war " by Anne C. Voorhoeve . It was a really good book and I loved it .

Old 01-27-2014, 11:50 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Im waiting for "The Funeral Dress " my cousin read it and she emailed me after she finished it and said I must read it . It was a fave of hers now and she is hard on books like me . By hard meaning they have to grab me by the second or third page or I give up on them . Oh well we all have our method right ? happy reading to all .

Old 01-27-2014, 12:58 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
Read this in the space of one day, that's how much I enjoyed it:
Monkey Mind: A Memoir of Anxiety” by Daniel Smith (2012).
It's so well-explained, the author's ability to clearly articulate what's going on in his head is impressive,
but the book is not a downer-he has a great sense of humor (at least, according to my tastes).
Loved the anecdote where he talks about using maxi-pads for his underarm sweating problem, that cracked me up.
Scott Stossel, the editor of Atlantic Magazine has written a book, The Big Uneasy about his lifelong struggle with anxiety. Stephen Colbert interviewed him the other night and he also had a great sense of humor. I'll check Monkey Mind.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:02 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,468,580 times
Ship of Theseus by V M Straka (aka JJ Abrams)

Old 01-27-2014, 08:17 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I'm reading -- yes, that's right, I'm reading! -- Crow Lake by Mary Lawson. I want to read her latest Road Ends (it's already available in Canada; only to be released at the end of June in the U.S.) and realized that I'd never read her first two novels that were so highly reviewed. So here I am... reading... Crow Lake. And if life doesn't get in the way, I'll actually finish it!

Old 01-27-2014, 09:41 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,797,863 times
Mandela's Way: Lessons on Life, Love, and Courage
by Richard Stengel

Love it!

Old 01-28-2014, 02:56 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times
Finally finished "Emerald Green" by Kerstin Gier. Okay but probably won't ever read the Gem Trilogy again. Too much teenie boohoo...

I tried Goodreads.com and began listing the books I already read and really liked. I got "Gone" by Michael Grant recommended and downloaded it right away. Hopefully it'll be good since it's only part one of a series.

Since there's so much hype about the Outlander series becoming a movie/series I plan to reread the books again as soon as I finished Gone. I guess I will be a long time reading Diana Gabaldon again. I've read this series three times now and listened to the audio books once. Absolutely love it and it's amazing that it doesn't get boring...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books