Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2014, 12:55 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,008,960 times

Advertisements

Currently, I'm reading Under the Dome by Stephen King. Just finished Doctor Sleep by the same author.

Last edited by carterstamp; 01-28-2014 at 01:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 01:10 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,318,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Scott Stossel, the editor of Atlantic Magazine has written a book, The Big Uneasy about his lifelong struggle with anxiety. Stephen Colbert interviewed him the other night and he also had a great sense of humor. I'll check Monkey Mind.
Saw that^ interview, which led me to go look it up at my library.
Title of the Stossel book is "My Age of Anxiety"-think "The Big Uneasy" is name of the NYT article about the book-
it sounds great, so I reserved it (since the library has it on order).

Am currently halfway through Justin Webb's "Cheers America: How an Englishman Learned to Love America" (2013),
a collection of the author's previously published essays.
Webb worked/works for the BBC and reported on American goings-on. It's funny and smart, insightful yet affectionate.
He talks about how our vast geography shapes our culture, even now with so much of the country urbanized.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:31 PM

8,737 posts, read 9,402,697 times
I had a list, but I was so hurried this morning I didn't get to organize it as I normally do so it wasn't worth much when I arrived at the library. I couldn't remember which was the non-fiction, which was the fiction and which ones were presently on my local library's shelf I just grabbed a few biographies that caught my fancy, titles: "Bessie Smith, by Jackie Kay," "A Personal Odyssey, by Thomas Sowell," "The Lance and The Shield - The Life and times of Sitting Bull, by, Robert M. Utley" and This Child Will Be Great, by Ellen Johnson Sirleaf". After an exhaustive search through the fiction section, I just picked up one book that seemed somewhat familiar from somewhere in the back of my mind, but not on my list, titled Home From The Vinyl Cafe, Stuwart McLean.

I'm going to go ahead and finish up the other book, Breaking Night, by Liz Murray, I had started a couple of weeks back, the one I given up on, at least till now. Monday evening, Yesterday I became so desperate for something to read, so picked it up again, I quickly skimmed over some parts and was able to get find it more interesting, so I'll finish it up tonight.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:29 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,175,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I'm reading -- yes, that's right, I'm reading! -- Crow Lake by Mary Lawson. I want to read her latest Road Ends (it's already available in Canada; only to be released at the end of June in the U.S.) and realized that I'd never read her first two novels that were so highly reviewed. So here I am... reading... Crow Lake. And if life doesn't get in the way, I'll actually finish it!
I started Crow Lake yesterday afternoon and I have 20% left of it to read. I'll finish it tonight. I do have the luxury of reading all day if I want to and I've wanted to with this book. I like it and I like the main characters very much as well as most of the minor ones. She does have a way with words, a gentle way that can rock the reader to the core.

If it wasn't a fictional place, if it wasn't in far north Ontario and if I had the travel bug I would search out Crow Lake. This village reminds me of the small east Texas town where I was born. The reader does not spend the entire book in Crow Lake but the most amazing part of the tale is located there.

I like this book. It is well worth reading.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:59 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I started Crow Lake yesterday afternoon and I have 20% left of it to read. I'll finish it tonight. I do have the luxury of reading all day if I want to and I've wanted to with this book. I like it and I like the main characters very much as well as most of the minor ones. She does have a way with words, a gentle way that can rock the reader to the core.

If it wasn't a fictional place, if it wasn't in far north Ontario and if I had the travel bug I would search out Crow Lake. This village reminds me of the small east Texas town where I was born. The reader does not spend the entire book in Crow Lake but the most amazing part of the tale is located there.

I like this book. It is well worth reading.
YAY!!! I'm only just over halfway through it and I don't want it to end. I've already got her other two books lined up on my Kindle. Her writing style is definitely gentle and, yes again, she has a way with words. It's a beautiful read and I'm aching to know how the rest of the story unfolds... but I won't rush it. It's worth savoring.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:03 PM

608 posts, read 477,696 times
Currently reading Where is the Birth Certificate by Jerome Corsi.First chapter was fascinating to find out the "birthers" were originally Obama supporters doubting McCain's birth place...a lot of hypocrisy going on...can't wait to get into it more. Also go Looking Backward by Edward Bellamy in mail today! Can't wait to start that

Old 01-29-2014, 12:56 AM

15,893 posts, read 18,175,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
YAY!!! I'm only just over halfway through it and I don't want it to end. I've already got her other two books lined up on my Kindle. Her writing style is definitely gentle and, yes again, she has a way with words. It's a beautiful read and I'm aching to know how the rest of the story unfolds... but I won't rush it. It's worth savoring.
I finished it and I did not want it to end. I found myself dragging my feet toward the end because I knew it was almost over. It's like an Indy Film on Sundance with the small unusual happenings and unexpected bursts of pure poetry.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:35 AM

Quote:
I finished it and I did not want it to end. I found myself dragging my feet toward the end because I knew it was almost over. It's like an Indy Film on Sundance with the small unusual happenings and unexpected bursts of pure poetry.
It looks like it's time for you to get The Other Side of the Bridge by her now! You'll have to wait, it seems, for Road Ends -- it's only available in Canada now; you'll be able to get it at the end of June.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:46 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,238,228 times
Sure Dawn...tease us with your Canada books

I just started Abacus by Josh Burton.
"A witness to his parent’s gruesome murder, Detective Sergeant Randall became a hardened, vengeful man with no fear of consequence. A gifted Detective who craved revenge, he was the perfect recruit. Under direction of the Abacus, he led a complex double life, systematically culling the very bad in society, while at the same time in charge of a busy Detective Division.
With a rising body count at the hands of a depraved psychopath, it appeared that Randall’s worlds had collided… or had they?"

Old 01-29-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
I just finished it. I loved it! I loved the quiet ending. No grand BOOM! finale -- just a quiet, thoughtful end. Perfection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Sure Dawn...tease us with your Canada books

Oh, Lisa, aside from ridiculously high taxes and frigid temperatures (with ice storms!), there's so little to tease with from here, so I've got to use a Canadian author whose books get released here first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books