Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2014, 02:06 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times

Advertisements

Just finished "Asking for Murder," By Roberta Isleib and was really kind of surprised at how much I liked it. Her ending was completely unexpected, and the story was not as much of a "cozy" as I'd expected. I am looking forward to reading her latest release (in another series), under the pen name of Lucy Burdette: "Murder with Ganache."

Next up: "Mother: A Novel in Two Parts, By Maxim Gorky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 02:27 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,460,620 times
I wanted so much to like, Cutting From Stone, by Abraham Verghese. The book wasn't available from the self, but I was able to place it on hold for audio and I received notice, it was ready and, so I downloaded the audio book from my library yesterday. Not a good idea for me, I fell sound asleep by the third chapter. I just couldn't love it, not even like it, I'm not sure if it was the voice or just the opening prologue, and so on. I probably will have to get a hard copy and give it a chance that way. Maybe. Possibly just not for me. I still have 12 days to return the audio, sometimes I can masochistic, might try to listen again just to be certain it wasn't because I was overly tired.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:41 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post

Went to the library and pulled some random things off the shelves, including Coming Clean, by Kimberly Rae Miller, which was surprisingly good. It's a memoir about growing up with parents who were hoarders. She writes honestly about her shame and all they went through trying to hide what was going on in the house, but also writes lovingly about her parents. It's an easy read and well worth it if you're at all interested in hoarding and hoarders.
Thank you, Marlow. This subject interests me and I found a free kindle download on amazon.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
I wanted so much to like, Cutting From Stone, by Abraham Verghese. The book wasn't available from the self, but I was able to place it on hold for audio and I received notice, it was ready and, so I downloaded the audio book from my library yesterday. Not a good idea for me, I fell sound asleep by the third chapter. I just couldn't love it, not even like it, I'm not sure if it was the voice or just the opening prologue, and so on. I probably will have to get a hard copy and give it a chance that way. Maybe. Possibly just not for me. I still have 12 days to return the audio, sometimes I can masochistic, might try to listen again just to be certain it wasn't because I was overly tired.
It took me a while to get into it, TRosa. Don't despair. I think you should give the paper book a try. It really is an exceptional book. I mentioned it to my doctor. She says that she and most of her colleagues love that book. I certainly do.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:00 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,460,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
It took me a while to get into it, TRosa. Don't despair. I think you should give the paper book a try. It really is an exceptional book. I mentioned it to my doctor. She says that she and most of her colleagues love that book. I certainly do.
LOL! Thanks.

I will give it another try in a day or two.

I also have The Book Thief on back order for audio, I'm wondering if I just need to leave the audio experience alone till it's one of those things where I become visually impaired and it's a necessity.

================================================== =========================

To anyone scratching their head, I meant Cutting For Stone. Leave it to me to muck up the title. I sure hope I got it right this time.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
LOL! Thanks.

I will give it another try in a day or two.

I also have The Book Thief on back order for audio, I'm wondering if I just need to leave the audio experience alone till it's one of those things where I become visually impaired and it's a necessity.

================================================== =========================

To anyone scratching their head, I meant Cutting For Stone. Leave it to me to muck up the title. I sure hope I got it right this time.
I had trouble getting into The Book Thief, too. In fact, I quit it. Dawn was raving about it and so I gave it another shot. I loved it the second time.

You made a good point about the possibility of not liking the voice on some audio books. I'm sure that can ruin a book for you and everyone else. For instance, I won't watch anything Fran Drescher is in because Fran Drescher's voice drives me crazy. My father had the Brooklyn accent but his voice was nice. Drescher's screeches in my ears.

I have never listened to an audio book. I wonder if the reader's voice defines the characters (unless the book is read by a narrator and not a character) for the listener. I don't think we will never know because if the audio book is heard first then the listener already has a character definition and the same goes for the book being read first. Does this make any sense. I flashed back to my college dorm room and hours spent discussing the world with other freshman. All of us were clueless but we sure we were "deep and filled with angst." ahahahahahahaha

Old 02-03-2014, 07:37 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Finished The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck. No wonder it's a classic--she captures the essence of humanity. Even though the culture she writes about (pre-revolutionary China) is foreign to me, the characters in the book could be next door neighbors.

Went to the library and pulled some random things off the shelves, including Coming Clean, by Kimberly Rae Miller, which was surprisingly good. It's a memoir about growing up with parents who were hoarders. She writes honestly about her shame and all they went through trying to hide what was going on in the house, but also writes lovingly about her parents. It's an easy read and well worth it if you're at all interested in hoarding and hoarders.

Then I read Tears of the Giraffe by Alexander McCall Smith, the second book in the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series and moved right on to The Morality of Beautiful Girls, the third in the series.
I started that book many, many years ago and never finished it. Now I've seen it mentioned enough times for me to make a note to try again.

I am halfway through Coyote Destiny by Allen Steele. I have read all the others in the series, and loved the first Coyote book. This one is better than several of the ones that preceded it. I am also washing walls.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:39 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I had trouble getting into The Book Thief, too. In fact, I quit it. Dawn was raving about it and so I gave it another shot. I loved it the second time.

You made a good point about the possibility of not liking the voice on some audio books. I'm sure that can ruin a book for you and everyone else. For instance, I won't watch anything Fran Drescher is in because Fran Drescher's voice drives me crazy. My father had the Brooklyn accent but his voice was nice. Drescher's screeches in my ears.

I have never listened to an audio book. I wonder if the reader's voice defines the characters (unless the book is read by a narrator and not a character) for the listener. I don't think we will never know because if the audio book is heard first then the listener already has a character definition and the same goes for the book being read first. Does this make any sense. I flashed back to my college dorm room and hours spent discussing the world with other freshman. All of us were clueless but we sure we were "deep and filled with angst." ahahahahahahaha
Yes, it does. I've also never listened to an audio book. I just don't think I would like it. What do you do with your hands?

Old 02-03-2014, 07:48 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,236,230 times
Im reading Bring It by Tony Horton

Old 02-03-2014, 07:52 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Yes, it does. I've also never listened to an audio book. I just don't think I would like it. What do you do with your hands?
Wash walls.

PS. I've never listened to an audio book either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books