Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2014, 07:26 PM

608 posts, read 482,064 times

Advertisements

Still reading Forrest Gump. Seems like I get older I get less time to read as I am always tired LOL....Now have over 50 books on night table...stacks are starting to get wobbly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 08:04 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
A Short History of Tractors in Ukranian, by Marina Lewycka.
Fabulous book.

'Two years after my mother died, my father fell in love with a glamorous blonde Ukrainian divorcée. He was eighty-four and she was thirty-six. She exploded into our lives like a fluffy pink grenade, churning up the murky water, bringing to the surface a sludge of sloughed-off memories, giving the family ghosts a kick up the backside.'
I have that book and thought it was good, but didn't finish. Thanks for the reminder.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:05 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
the wolf gift by ann rice skip this one a stinker

Old 02-08-2014, 10:52 PM

874 posts, read 1,648,233 times
Dracula by Bram Stoker

I downloaded a bunch of classics off iTunes for free and Dracula is one of them. I'll probably finish American Psycho, but it got boring with the narrator being scrupulous and going too much in detail on certain things.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:02 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
I finished The Trial of Fallen Angels by James Kimmel. Pretty awful. After the first 60 pages, I started reading in 7 - 10 page chunks just to get to the end, just to say I did.

The author was so heavy handed. There was a conversation between the main character and her husband on page 20 or so where the entire back story was laid out in three paragraphs. It involved a family history of a Holocaust survivor, a local towns person who was supporting Palestinian uprising, a lawsuit focused on some cyanide laced Chilean grapes and a white supremacist group called Die Elf. All of this was squished into one conversation over the phone between a husband and wife.

And then there were the day to day factual errors like the 10 month old who ran to her mother but cooed and stared at her fluttering hands while having her diaper changed. These are not developmentally appropriate things for a 10 month old and just annoyed me.

And finally there was the line "A small sparrow lands on the branch risking immolation". Step away from the thesaurus...

Old 02-10-2014, 12:02 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I'm about 60% through Road Ends by Mary Lawson. Since it's only been released in Canada thus far, the reviews are scarce but I agree with the ones that said it's not as good (by far) as Crow Lake. They do say, though, that her book between these two -- The Other Side of the Bridge -- is excellent, so I'll have that to look forward to at some point. I say "at some point" because I think I need to read something different -- something other than by Mary Lawson -- next. Good thing I have 200+ books on my Kindle, then, right? Oy.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:21 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Good thing I have 200+ books on my Kindle, then, right? Oy.
Funny, but for me once I get a book on my Kindle, no matter how much I read it it seems like I put it on the last priority. Then I go check out "real" books that I had no desire to read until I saw them. Crazy!

Speaking of crazy: I am guessing Heidi Julavits ("The Vanishers") is just a touch off from the "sound mind" definition. About midway into it and I've come to accept the reality of this story, but wading into this pond gave me some real touch and go moments for fear I would drop off into a deep pool and not find my way back to solid ground. That's never happened to me, before.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:34 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Funny, but for me once I get a book on my Kindle, no matter how much I read it it seems like I put it on the last priority. Then I go check out "real" books that I had no desire to read until I saw them. Crazy!
That's exactly why I have more than 200 books on my Kindle. Once they're there, I know that I can go to them at any time, but... oh! look! shiny!

Old 02-10-2014, 09:27 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
I've found an author who is new to me. Matt Drabble. He's English. I read Gated and finished it yesterday. I immediately downloaded Gated II: Ravenhill Academy.

The first book was a freebie download. BTW, a forum member posts a list of free Kindle downloads every single day. There are between 80-100 on each day's list and they are from all genres. You can find them in the freebie forum. He cleverly titles the post "Free Kindle Downloads." heeheehee. Oh, go to "shopping" and the freebie sub forum is there. Don't procrastinate because sometimes the "free" moniker lasts only one day. Am I being too pushy? Sure but the cause is just.

Now to babble about Drabble: The books are well edited with only an error every 50 pages or so and the error is always small. This genre is not going to appeal to everyone. The book I finished is a bit like The Stepford Wives. Since I read almost all genres I was happy to find him. He's a quick read. I love his character development and his description of nature. They are scary books but not horribly so. Goldilocks would have said "This book is just right."

Old 02-11-2014, 07:12 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,106,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty223 View Post
Dracula by Bram Stoker

I downloaded a bunch of classics off iTunes for free and Dracula is one of them. I'll probably finish American Psycho, but it got boring with the narrator being scrupulous and going too much in detail on certain things.

It's a pity nobody has made a movie that equals the book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books