Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2014, 07:16 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,106,655 times

Advertisements

I just finished Under the Dome by Stephen King. Aother really good one by him is 11/22/63.

Just started Duma Key.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 01:57 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,449,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Or Perish in the Attempt: Wilderness Medicine in the Lewis & Clark Expedition. Modern Dr. analyzes all of the sicknesses and cures which occurred during the expedition. Great read.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
The International Book of Bob: Connecting Our Worlds One $25.00 Kiva At A Time by Bob Harris
Those both sound interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty223 View Post
Dracula by Bram Stoker
This is currently on my shelf.

I finally finished "The Smoke," by Tony Broadbent. I rated it 3.5 stars on Goodreads. I enjoyed it but it seemed to take forever to read. Now I'm reading "Anne of Avonlea." Making up for the lost time of having not read this series as a kid. This one is going a lot faster than "The Smoke" did but I also have inclement weather keeping me housebound for a few days to thank for that.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:38 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I finished Road Ends by Mary Lawson today. It wasn't as good as Crow Lake, which I loved, but it was okay. Just okay. I can't highly recommend it, but I wouldn't dissuade you from reading it either. The characters didn't feel as connected to each other as in Crow Lake and while I liked Maeve Binchy way back when, this felt a bit like something she would write -- it had a bit of a fairy-tale quality to it. There were plenty of sad parts (even at the end), but it felt too tightly wrapped in a bow when it was over.

You read it here first: I just (finally!) started The Goldfinch. The BF is out of town, back for a few days at the end of the week, and then off again for 2.5 weeks, so I now have plenty of "me time" to sink my teeth into this.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:30 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,236,301 times
I am currently reading The Big Picture by Tony Horton
I am on quite the Tony Horton kick hehe

Old 02-12-2014, 12:17 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,709,008 times
Reborn (A Dead Man Adventure) It's a Kindle Serial so the book is released in Episodes every week.

--

The Man From Newella by Brandon Hale

Old 02-12-2014, 12:27 AM

1,458 posts, read 4,131,378 times
I'm almost done with Gladwell's David & Golath, which I'm reading for book club. If I didn't feel pressured to pass it on to the next person needing it, I'd take mt time looking deeper into the topics... Like the IRA.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:05 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
"The Vanishers," by Heidi Julavits

I hated reading this book, until I got to page 270. I've never experienced paranormal events, never been overly interested in life after life. Despite my being the most likely of my 1974 class to become an existentialist, I don't even now understand what that means. I don't care about visceral reactions and don't want to know about the release of bodily fluids.

Still, something kept me reading and reading, and reading. Then, I got to page 270 and it opened up for me. I realized that I had the common bond with the protagonist that -- while my birth mother did not commit suicide when I was a month old, she'd abandoned me even before I was born and my hostility toward her seethed within me, unknown even to myself. As the protagonist's hostility vented toward her mother, I experience a catharsis of my own unvented hatred. Suddenly I realized that it was not my mom -- my adopted mom, that I stood in such fixed opposition to, but the shadowy presence that stood behind her.

The rest of the book I read easily to it's satisfying ending.

Still, I don't say that I would recommend it to just anyone.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:30 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
I'm almost done with Gladwell's David & Golath, which I'm reading for book club. If I didn't feel pressured to pass it on to the next person needing it, I'd take mt time looking deeper into the topics... Like the IRA.
If you are interested in the IRA I recommend The IRA: A History by Tim Pat Coogan. It is very good. Coogan is an Irish journalist/writer and IMO he presents a very clear and fair history. It is well researched and I had to really dig deep in other sources to find out where his sympathies lie.

There are quite a few photographs in the book from before the time that "The Troubles" actually became full blown up to the time of publication of the book.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:05 AM

1,458 posts, read 4,131,378 times
Quote:
If you are interested in the IRA I recommend The IRA: A History by Tim Pat Coogan. It is very good. Coogan is an Irish journalist/writer and IMO he presents a very clear and fair history. It is well researched and I had to really dig deep in other sources to find out where his sympathies lie.

There are quite a few photographs in the book from before the time that "The Troubles" actually became full blown up to the time of publication of the book.
I just might check that out! A few days before starting this book, I came across a movie called Hunger. It is about the imprisonment of Irish "political non-defiants" & hunger strikes in 1981. After watching I spent hours with google learning more. And then it comes up in the next book I read!

Old 02-13-2014, 06:38 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
I've found an author who is new to me. Matt Drabble. He's English. I read Gated and finished it yesterday. I immediately downloaded Gated II: Ravenhill Academy.

The first book was a freebie download. BTW, a forum member posts a list of free Kindle downloads every single day. There are between 80-100 on each day's list and they are from all genres. You can find them in the freebie forum. He cleverly titles the post "Free Kindle Downloads." heeheehee. Oh, go to "shopping" and the freebie sub forum is there. Don't procrastinate because sometimes the "free" moniker lasts only one day. Am I being too pushy? Sure but the cause is just.

Now to babble about Drabble: The books are well edited with only an error every 50 pages or so and the error is always small. This genre is not going to appeal to everyone. The book I finished is a bit like The Stepford Wives. Since I read almost all genres I was happy to find him. He's a quick read. I love his character development and his description of nature. They are scary books but not horribly so. Goldilocks would have said "This book is just right."

I will look for that one.

I love Bob's freebies. I have over 500 books on my kindle

I have been reading books in alphabetical order.

I just finished Against The Odds by Mara Jacobs...it was a light read with good characters.

Right now I am reading Anybody's Daughter by Pamela Samuels Young.
"Based on the real-life horrors faced by thousands of girls, award-winning author Pamela Samuels Young takes readers deep inside the disturbing world of child sex trafficking in a fast-paced thriller that educates as much as it entertains."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books