Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2014, 09:16 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times

Advertisements

Day # 2 of captivity - This is my second snow day in a row trapped at home with hubby and one male adultolescent (20 year old son). Yesterday I was productive catching up on work tasks, today I have jumped back into The Circle which I am thoroughly enjoying. I have my ear buds in which implies that I am listening to music, but I am not, I am merely seeking solitude....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 06:23 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
I finished 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami. That was one long book (about 1000pgs) that I though was ultimately pointless. I like his writing, but basically it only hinted at what I thought should be the main story. I passed up all kinds of library books that became available and that really was a bad choice.

I'm reading Dragon Keeper (The Rain Wilds Chronicles) and I'm in love.

I'm only 40% in, but it is reminiscent of the Dragon Riders of Pern. I keep trying to go to bed at 7 so I can have more time to read.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-13-2014, 09:11 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Day # 2 of captivity - This is my second snow day in a row trapped at home with hubby and one male adultolescent (20 year old son). ... I have my ear buds in which implies that I am listening to music, but I am not, I am merely seeking solitude....
Great idea! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I finished 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami. That was one long book (about 1000pgs) that I though was ultimately pointless. I like his writing, but basically it only hinted at what I thought should be the main story. I passed up all kinds of library books that became available and that really was a bad choice.

I'm reading Dragon Keeper (The Rain Wilds Chronicles) and I'm in love.

I'm only 40% in, but it is reminiscent of the Dragon Riders of Pern. I keep trying to go to bed at 7 so I can have more time to read.
Bummer about 1Q84. I have it on the Kindle, now it will probably be there the longest. Maybe forever.

I am back on Gorky's "Mother," -- down to the last 150 pages. His revolutionaries are so idealistic about the future (written in 1907) that it is hard to resolve their ideals with the actual unfolding of the Bolshevik's takeover ten years later, let alone the twisted outcomes of first Lenin's and then Stalin's reign.

I sense I may be taking another respite with something lighter before I finish it.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:17 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,036,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Day # 2 of captivity - This is my second snow day in a row trapped at home with hubby and one male adultolescent (20 year old son). Yesterday I was productive catching up on work tasks, today I have jumped back into The Circle which I am thoroughly enjoying. I have my ear buds in which implies that I am listening to music, but I am not, I am merely seeking solitude....
Hahaha- you can pretend you don't hear them when they are trying to talk to you.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:00 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,213,922 times
"Where Mercy Is Shown, Mercy Is Given: Duane Dog Chapman" Dog the bounty hunter. I don't know why but I picked it up and read it. He did get a raw deal on his Mexican imprisonment and charges though it all worked out, but the bulk of the book was his explanations of his latest snafu with the n word. To sum it up he apparently thinks he is a black rapper and can say it, which he is not, and not very smart. He still kind of blames his son for "tricking" him by taping him. Not smart, but finally repentant.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:09 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
I'm currently more than halfway through In the Garden of Iden by Kage Baker. It is a time travel book with a well thought out rationale for time travel. It's a Tor book originally but back in print/available as an e-book. I'm not sure how I came across it but I downloaded a sample. It took me about 20% to get into it and I know there are many fans of Diana (??) G-something (?) who writes those time travel in Scotland books that a lot of people like so much. I only ever read her very first one, but it seems to me that whoever likes her books would love the books by Kage Baker. In the Garden of Iden is the first in a series called The Company.

The writer (she? Is 'Kage' a she?) includes a lot of background history that I find appealing.

In the Garden of Iden (Company): Kage Baker: 9780765314574: Amazon.com: Books

Before that I read a science fiction book by Allen Steele, Labyrinth of Night. It's an older book that envisions finding ancient ruins on Mars. It isn't half bad. I think maybe a little more hard core science fiction and less focused on character development and I preferred his Coyote books.

Well, back to working outside. One more snowfall and I'm going to scream.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:07 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,155,603 times
A Week in Winter by Maeve Binchy.

Very cozy. Very well-written, but almost too cozy and predictable for my taste; sort of a step up from a well-written Harlequin romance.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:46 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
A Week in Winter by Maeve Binchy.

Very cozy. Very well-written, but almost too cozy and predictable for my taste; sort of a step up from a well-written Harlequin romance.
I've never read a Binchy book that I did not like. There does seem to be a bit of romance in her books and A Week in Winter did have more than the usual amount. I don't care for any romance at all but I can deal with it in her books.

A new Binchy book will be out in two months or so. She had written character development for a new book before she died. So, that is what the new book is about. It's made up of the characters she had stashed in a desk drawer.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I've never read a Binchy book that I did not like. There does seem to be a bit of romance in her books and A Week in Winter did have more than the usual amount. I don't care for any romance at all but I can deal with it in her books.

A new Binchy book will be out in two months or so. She had written character development for a new book before she died. So, that is what the new book is about. It's made up of the characters she had stashed in a desk drawer.
I'm with you, K'. I haven't read a lot of her work, but what I have I've liked and I shun romance novels. It seemed to me that she liked her characters and even the "badies" had a heart. I am sorry she's gone.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:13 AM

"Inkheart," by Cornelia Funke
I loved listening to this audiobook. It's a great story for all ages, especially for those of us that like a touch of fantasy sometimes. The ending was a bit "sappy" but it was followed by a short preview of the sequel, and I've already downloaded it.

Decided to take a break from the heaviness of Gorky and slip over to a cozy: "Murder With Ganache," by Lucy Burdette. The author is a friend of my sister's that lives in the Keys and I understand my sis is used as the basis of one of the characters. It will be interesting to see if I can pick out the right one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books