Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2014, 09:47 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,368,233 times

Advertisements

I read half of “Farther Away: Essays” by Jonathan Franzen (2012).
It's a compilation of writings, most of which appeared previously in The New Yorker magazine.
Some of the essays didn't appeal to me, so I skipped those.
But the ones I liked, I liked a lot (his thinking made sense to me).

Quote:
“When you stay in your room and rage or sneer or shrug your shoulders, as I did for many years, the world and its problems are impossibly daunting.
But when you go out and put yourself in real relation to real people, or even just real animals, there’s a very real danger that you might end up loving some of them.”
On cell phone use (overhearing other people) in public places:
Quote:
“Privacy, to me, is not about keeping my personal life hidden from other people.
It’s about sparing me from the intrusion of other people’s personal lives.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 01:16 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
Finished The Paris Architect last night. I really liked it. It takes place during WWII in Paris. Too lazy to go looking for the author's name right now. It is about an architect who helps to hide Jews in Paris.

Starting The First Phone Call From Heaven by Mitch Albom next. I really like his writing style and have enjoyed all his books I've read so far (except For One More Day).
I think I will like that first one will see if my library has it yet and if it does I want it

Old 02-18-2014, 01:57 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Finished The Paris Architect last night. I really liked it. It takes place during WWII in Paris. Too lazy to go looking for the author's name right now. It is about an architect who helps to hide Jews in Paris.
Thank you for mentioning this book. I just downloaded it.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:11 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
I'm currently reading "Notes from a Small Island" by Bill Bryson. It's a charmingly told story about his "valedictory tour of the green and kindly island that had so long been his home" -- the UK -- before heading back to the US. Perhaps others know this author but he's new to me. He's a wonderful story-teller and I'm thoroughly enjoying the book.

Kiwikate- Bill Bryson is delightful and so easy to read. I first heard of him from my daughter, but then I noticed that so many folks on this forum had such great things to say about his writing.
I enjoyed a walk in the woods which was the first one I read of his, and then I read.... something else about europe...Neither here nor There. Very enjoyable!
The good news is he has written quite a few.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:20 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Thank you for mentioning this book. I just downloaded it.
I have it on hold at my library .

Old 02-18-2014, 08:02 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Finished The Witness Wore Red by Rebecca Musser, a memoir by a woman who grew up in the FLDS, the polygamous sect led by Warren Jeffs. She escaped and later testified against Jeffs and the other men who took underage brides. Interesting story, but reads like a long Ladies Home Journal article with lots of exclamation points!

Not sure what to read next so I'm looking for ideas here and seeing lots.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:07 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Finished The Witness Wore Red by Rebecca Musser, a memoir by a woman who grew up in the FLDS, the polygamous sect led by Warren Jeffs. She escaped and later testified against Jeffs and the other men who took underage brides. Interesting story, but reads like a long Ladies Home Journal article with lots of exclamation points!

Not sure what to read next so I'm looking for ideas here and seeing lots.
I really enjoyed this book. She went through a lot and along with books and testimony by Musser, Carolyn Jessop and Elissa Wall the government was finally able to put that monster Warren Jeffs in prison.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:53 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Thanks for the recommendation. I also have that one on hold for the kindle.

Old 02-19-2014, 04:48 AM

757 posts, read 1,024,486 times
Quote:
Sounds like a good story that might turn into a movie.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:49 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
I just stumbled upon The Paris Architect. I was looking online at the ebooks at my library for something else and that was the first one that showed in the new ebooks section. I loved the cover so I decided to read the description. I am so glad I did. There were times I had to actually put it down because of how emotional parts were for me. This is his first novel, and I think he did a good job of it. I could see it being made into a movie.

ETA: I hope you all enjoy it!!

Last edited by fromupthere; 02-19-2014 at 08:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books