Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2014, 09:29 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
While I wait for An Unnecessary Woman by Rabih Alameddine (he's a man, by the way, Ketabcha) to be ready -- if you buy the Kindle version, you get a completely different book (something about lions by Lachlan Smith), a problem that Amazon knows about already, but that Kobo has just been told about by me! -- I'm reading another of his books: I, Divine: A Novel in First Chapters.

I know, Dawn, that Rabih Almeddine is a man. It sounds like a female name to me but maybe I am thinking of "Rabia."
For some reason I can't find the book on my computer or on my Kindle. I think I forgot to download and then copy to the Kindle after I bought it. I found another book that I failed to download on the same day. Duh!

I don't have WiFi access, fellow readers, so it takes a few steps with the computer being the midwife for me to get a book to my kindle. Dawn is the one who walked me through it the first time. So, she has my undying gratitude for spending over an hour with me on the phone in an attempt to expand my life experience and it worked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 04:41 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,374,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post

I don't have WiFi access, fellow readers, so it takes a few steps with the computer being the midwife for me to get a book to my kindle. Dawn is the one who walked me through it the first time. So, she has my undying gratitude for spending over an hour with me on the phone in an attempt to expand my life experience and it worked.
Do you not have wireless because you don't have a router? If so they are rather inexpensive. I have one similar to this but an older version:

Amazon.com : D-Link DIR-601 Wireless-N 150 Home Router : Network Routers : Computers & Accessories

Less than 20 bucks for the unit and cable would really simplify the process.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Do you not have wireless because you don't have a router? If so they are rather inexpensive. I have one similar to this but an older version:

Amazon.com : D-Link DIR-601 Wireless-N 150 Home Router : Network Routers : Computers & Accessories

Less than 20 bucks for the unit and cable would really simplify the process.
Thank you, zugor. I have a router but it's been in its been box in the garage for a couple of years. I'm not sure I can hook it up properly and I've been too lazy to try. I'm usually behind the times in the electronic world. I still have a flip cell phone. AHAHAHAHA.

Something will happen that will cause me to take action and try to install the router. It will probably have to do with my Kindle. If I can't download books I will be very upset. Gotta' have the books.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:59 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,374,594 times
Quote:
Thank you, zugor. I have a router but it's been in its been box in the garage for a couple of years. I'm not sure I can hook it up properly and I've been too lazy to try. I'm usually behind the times in the electronic world. I still have a flip cell phone. AHAHAHAHA.

Something will happen that will cause me to take action and try to install the router. It will probably have to do with my Kindle. If I can't download books I will be very upset. Gotta' have the books.
As Tom of Car Talk says "I always wanted to be a procrastinator, I just never got around to it.

I finally broke down a year ago and bought a 46" flat screen TV and hopefully some time in the next two weeks it will get taken out of the box and put in use. I took me this long to make a decision as to which room it will be going in and then to find a piece of furniture that it can sit on. The old 27" clunky one that I bought in 1988 is still the one in current use.

So join the club, maybe we'll get around to having jackets or t-shirts made. But don't count on it happening any time soon because I have dozens of other projects already in the pipe line waiting for me to find my motivation. Let me just read one more chapter and then....

Old 02-22-2014, 08:06 AM

4,965 posts, read 5,687,324 times
Grumpy Old Wit.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:05 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Quote:

Don't feel bad - you aren't alone. I read and knit as much as I do because my TV has become too complicated for me to figure out. Multiple remote controls that seem to operate different things each time my husband explains them to me. And - I'm not "old", I just don't understand why it all has to be so complicated.

So I read.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:23 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
My next book club book is The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty. I sure hope it is good - my last two book club books have not be very enjoyable! I really like my book club gals, but too many duds in a row are taking some of the fun out of Book Club!

Old 02-22-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
My next book club book is The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty. I sure hope it is good - my last two book club books have not be very enjoyable! I really like my book club gals, but too many duds in a row are taking some of the fun out of Book Club!
I know I started it but, come to think of it, I'm not even sure I finished it.

I just checked. I bought in on 8/29/13 and it is not listed in my journal so I did not finish it. Yeah, I'm anal retentive about books and movies.

So, I didn't like it enough to read the entire book. I may give it another shot.

"But I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now."

Old 02-22-2014, 12:49 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,155,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Don't feel bad - you aren't alone. I read and knit as much as I do because my TV has become too complicated for me to figure out. Multiple remote controls that seem to operate different things each time my husband explains them to me. And - I'm not "old", I just don't understand why it all has to be so complicated.

So I read.
Ha! That is funny, and me too, sort of.

I live alone and don't have or want a TV. But I do enjoy it at friends' houses, as long as someone else is operating the remote(s). Plus we can chat or do something during commercials or boring bits; something I can't do at home alone.

I'm almost done with Camus's The Plague. It's a fascinating read. Even better once I read up on "Absurdist"** philosophy and how it relates to the book and the characters.

**(tl;dr) "we are all dust in the wind."

Although I have to quell my irritation at every single POV in the entire book being male, and every single active character also male. But it was written in 1947 when that was standard, I guess.

Next in the queue is Tom Wolfe's Back to Blood. I'll be in the mood for something lighter!

Old 02-22-2014, 02:35 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
well im starting to read a book I picked up on a whim titled the impossible lives of greta wells by andrew sean greer ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books