Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2014, 07:29 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times

Advertisements

I am about 1/3rd into "Don't Cry, Tai Lake," by Qiu Xiaolong and still cannot decide if I like it. It seems strange to even type this, but it reads like an Asian movie with English voices dubbed over. Maybe it is because the author is Chinese, living in St. Louis and writing in his second language. The flow of the words (for me) contributes to a certain "choppiness" in the plot advancements.

I don't recall if I mentioned earlier that I am listening to Lee Child's "The Affair," read by Dick Hill. Dick is an amazing reader and I find myself looking to see what other books he's read so I can listen to those, too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 08:01 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
I'm about 3/4 of the way through Tell the Wolves I'm Home and it's been a mixed bag. I love the story and really appreciate that it's not a plot that I've read a hundred times before. I have no idea how it's going to end and find myself stealing 10 minutes to read every chance I get. On the other hand, the two sisters are 14 and 16 and as the mother of a 15-year-old girl, I keep thinking that teenage girls don't really act or think that way. At least none of the ones that I know. They are both a little tiresome.

But, for all that, I'm still enjoying it and would recommend it as the YA book it is.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:14 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,452,259 times
I just finished "Sycamore Row" by one of my favorite authors, John Grisham. It was wonderful, I highly recommend it.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:20 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I'm about 3/4 of the way through Tell the Wolves I'm Home and it's been a mixed bag. I love the story and really appreciate that it's not a plot that I've read a hundred times before. I have no idea how it's going to end and find myself stealing 10 minutes to read every chance I get. On the other hand, the two sisters are 14 and 16 and as the mother of a 15-year-old girl, I keep thinking that teenage girls don't really act or think that way. At least none of the ones that I know. They are both a little tiresome.

But, for all that, I'm still enjoying it and would recommend it as the YA book it is.
The book was well written and I was initially drawn into the story. Without giving too much away I thought many parts of the book were unrealistic. One realistic part was the public's reaction to AiDS as I remember it from the eighties. Although the book has flaws from an adult standpoint, I agree with your recommendation as a book for YA.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:44 AM

"Bring Up the Bodies," by Hilary Mantel, read by Simon Vance

Old 02-24-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
"Bring Up the Bodies," by Hilary Mantel, read by Simon Vance
I'm about 20% through Wolf Hall. I stopped in order to read The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins. Bring Up the Bodies is waiting for me on the Kindle so must finish WH in a hurry.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:34 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,449,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I don't have WiFi access, fellow readers, so it takes a few steps with the computer being the midwife for me to get a book to my kindle. Dawn is the one who walked me through it the first time. So, she has my undying gratitude for spending over an hour with me on the phone in an attempt to expand my life experience and it worked.
I do have WiFi and find it a lot easier and faster to get books on my Kindle using my computer.

I finished "Anne of Avonlea" last night and then started "NYPD Red" by James Patterson. I'm reading this one on my Kindle, so hopefully, it won't take as long as the last two, which were paperback.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I'm about 20% through Wolf Hall. I stopped in order to read The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins. Bring Up the Bodies is waiting for me on the Kindle so must finish WH in a hurry.
I am listening to this one, just because it was what was available, but it's good because I am accumulating a stack of library books on my reading stand and I only get three weeks to read them! Unlike the Kindle checkouts (that I can keep as long as I don't turn on the wifi switch), some of these have holds against them so I cannot renew them.

I think I am going to ditch Gorky's "Mother" and jump right onto "Empty Mansions," after I finish "Don't Cry, Tai Lake," (which I am enjoying more now that I've gotten used to the guy's plot tempo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
I finished "Anne of Avonlea" last night and then started "NYPD Red" by James Patterson. I'm reading this one on my Kindle, so hopefully, it won't take as long as the last two, which were paperback.
I was thinking I'd read "Anne of Avonlea" but I was mistaken, "Mists of Avalon" was the book I was thinking of instead. Big difference, I imagine.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I am listening to this one, just because it was what was available, but it's good because I am accumulating a stack of library books on my reading stand and I only get three weeks to read them! Unlike the Kindle checkouts (that I can keep as long as I don't turn on the wifi switch), some of these have holds against them so I cannot renew them.

I think I am going to ditch Gorky's "Mother" and jump right onto "Empty Mansions," after I finish "Don't Cry, Tai Lake," (which I am enjoying more now that I've gotten used to the guy's plot tempo.

I was thinking I'd read "Anne of Avonlea" but I was mistaken, "Mists of Avalon" was the book I was thinking of instead. Big difference, I imagine.
I have Empty Mansions on the Kindle from the library. So, as long I don't turn on wifi I can keep kindle library as long as I want? Good to know.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:10 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,026,758 times
Currently reading these four books:
"Wolf Hall" by Hilary Mantel, "The Forgotten Garden" by Kate Norton, "Boogaloo on 2nd Avenue " by Mark Kurlansky and "The Power of Habit" by Charles Duhigg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books