Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2014, 05:17 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times

Advertisements

How do any of you read 4 books at a time my goodness ...the most I can juggle is two at a time .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 06:09 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,386,066 times
Currently listening to "Undone" by Karin Slaughter. Quite good so far.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:32 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,276,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I was in the mood for something light so I started reading Mahjonged by Elaine Macko.
It's a murder mystery and one of the funniest books I have read in a long time.

I really needed a good laugh, just as we all do from time to time, and this one has filled the need. No, I was not depressed. I have read some heavy stuff recently and needed to laugh. This book is not for everyone because it is a bit "Snoop Sisterish." Our heroine quotes Winston Churchill on occasion which impresses the heck out of me. Then she also quotes characters from Downton Abbey. It's hysterical.

Who done it? I don't know yet and really don't care. It was one of 15 women at a home mahjong party. Even that is funny. You don't need to know about the game to enjoy the book.

Her paperbacks are 10 bucks on amazon (even her first one). And they aren't in libraries. I'm going to have to pass. It sounds like a good read.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:58 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times
Like Wolves in The Fold: The Defense of Rorke's Drift

Old 02-25-2014, 07:37 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,547,665 times
Just finished "Don't Cry, Tai Lake" -- it was okay. I don't think I will look for another of his Inspector Chen mysteries, but I may look for his "Years of Red Dust: Stories of Shanghai." It was one of 2010 Top Books awards.

Moving on to "Empty Mansions: The Mysterious Life of Huguette Clark and the Spending of a Great American Fortune," by Bill Dedman, Paul Clark Newell Jr.

It's the most wanted on my stack of checked out books, and least likely to be able to renew so I am diving in!

Old 02-25-2014, 11:00 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,026,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
How do any of you read 4 books at a time my goodness ...the most I can juggle is two at a time .

I am not sure about others that read multiple books at a time, but when I have several books going at once, they are usually books of completely different genres. The stories are not similar to each other at all, so the details are not difficult to keep separate.

One book may be light and entertaining, another an interesting biography, while another may be a serious non-fiction military or history book, or novel...and so on. I give each book my undivided attention while I am reading it, and become absorbed in each, so I am not missing any details, but I am able to disconnect temporarily while picking up the next book and read where I left off, (and often even need the brief respite in a particularly emotional book.)

For example, when I read "Unbroken" and "Lone Survivor" , I did not read them in the same week as they were each so absorbing, dramatic and emotional. I read a few Bill Bryson books, during those same weeks to enjoy, and escape a bit, as well. (There are times I simply do get so absorbed in a particular book, I keep reading non-stop cover to cover, as well, then go on to the next book.)

I also tend to read each book at a different place and time throughout the day and week, (when reading multiple books), such as reading one particular book at bedtime, and another on the Kindle, while on the Metrorail or another one that I may keep in my bag/purse when waiting at an appointment.

Last edited by Besitomio; 02-25-2014 at 11:49 PM..

Old 02-26-2014, 06:09 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,321,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Like Wolves in The Fold: The Defense of Rorke's Drift
I have that book in paperback. I bought it after reading about it in the "History" forum. It's simply amazing to me that such a small contingent of soldiers could ward off the vast, massive enemy for so long.

It actually was quite honorable for a bloody battle. It led me to read more about the Zulu, The Boar War and Natal.

Last edited by Ketabcha; 02-26-2014 at 06:27 AM..

Old 02-26-2014, 06:24 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,547,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Besitomio View Post
I am not sure about others that read multiple books at a time, but when I have several books going at once, they are usually books of completely different genres. The stories are not similar to each other at all, so the details are not difficult to keep separate.

One book may be light and entertaining, another an interesting biography, while another may be a serious non-fiction military or history book, or novel...and so on. I give each book my undivided attention while I am reading it, and become absorbed in each, so I am not missing any details, but I am able to disconnect temporarily while picking up the next book and read where I left off, (and often even need the brief respite in a particularly emotional book.)
Sort of like visiting with friends that are completely different from each other. I can relate to that!

Old 02-26-2014, 12:57 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,322,889 times
I finished Ten Thousand Saints by Eleanor Henderson last night. It is set in New York primarily, and it is very similar to Donna Tartt's Goldfinch, although Tartt is the more elegant writer. That may be because Ten Thousand Saints is a first novel and maybe her only novel - a search of Amazon turned up Alphabet City but I think that is what they called the French release of the book. What is different about Ten Thousand Saints is that it is not written in the first person but from the perspective of many people, the main character being a boy. I will certainly be keeping an eye out for anything new by this author.

ETA: Some of the people who didn't like Goldfinch because it seemed like nothing was happening, might just like this book since it shows different perspectives.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:43 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I finished Ten Thousand Saints by Eleanor Henderson last night. It is set in New York primarily, and it is very similar to Donna Tartt's Goldfinch, although Tartt is the more elegant writer. That may be because Ten Thousand Saints is a first novel and maybe her only novel - a search of Amazon turned up Alphabet City but I think that is what they called the French release of the book. What is different about Ten Thousand Saints is that it is not written in the first person but from the perspective of many people, the main character being a boy. I will certainly be keeping an eye out for anything new by this author.

ETA: Some of the people who didn't like Goldfinch because it seemed like nothing was happening, might just like this book since it shows different perspectives.
It's interesting that you compared it to The Goldfinch because, as much as I loved The Secret History, I just couldn't get far into The Goldfinch. It just felt exhausting.

I have Ten Thousand Saints in hand and I'm DEFINITELY going to read it. Pinky-swear promise! I'm looking forward to it but haven't been in the mood for that type of book. (You know what I mean about book vs. mood.) It's at the top of my list, though, for when the mood strikes me right.

Speaking of moods and books, I don't know what made me start Unsaid by Neil Abramson, except that the reviews -- including that of our very own Phonelady -- are excellent. But it's about death and animals and the death OF animals and that's all so difficult for me. I'm about 15% in and although I'm fine through most of it, I'm struggling with parts and have to put it down because I get into a (dark) mood.

ETA: Oh, I read (and finished) Coming Clean by Kimberly Rae Miller. It's a memoir about living with parents -- her father in particular -- who are hoarders. It was interesting and an easy read. If she was truthful in her account, she's a wonderful daughter.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 02-26-2014 at 02:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books