Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2014, 02:19 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,314,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
It's interesting that you compared it to The Goldfinch because, as much as I loved The Secret History, I just couldn't get far into The Goldfinch. It just felt exhausting.

I have Ten Thousand Saints in hand and I'm DEFINITELY going to read it. Pinky-swear promise! I'm looking forward to it but haven't been in the mood for that type of book. (You know what I mean about book vs. mood.) It's at the top of my list, though, for when the mood strikes me right.

Speaking of moods and books, I don't know what made me start Unsaid by Neil Abramson, except that the reviews -- including that of our very own Phonelady -- are excellent. But it's about death and animals and the death OF animals and that's all so difficult for me. I'm about 15% in and although I'm fine through most of it, I'm struggling with parts and have to put it down because I get into a (dark) mood.
Psst. There's a thread on the Canada forum that needs your book-finding help. I have searched myself silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 02:20 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Psst. There's a thread on the Canada forum that needs your book-finding help. I have searched myself silly.
I'm on my way!

Old 02-26-2014, 05:27 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I have that book in paperback. I bought it after reading about it in the "History" forum. It's simply amazing to me that such a small contingent of soldiers could ward off the vast, massive enemy for so long.

It actually was quite honorable for a bloody battle. It led me to read more about the Zulu, The Boar War and Natal.
I was raised on the film Zulu and the book The Washing of the Spears. Great to now know, from an expert, how the event actually/probaby occurred.

His other book on Isandlwana is excellent as well. How Can I Man Die Better. I will read it again next.

NB: What stands out to me about RD compared to the legend of my early reading and viewing is over 100 Zulu firearms were recoved after the battle and burnt. Also, the image of the British soldiers standing tall behind the barricades is false as they were also just peering over the mealie bag walls to provide a minimal target to Zulu snap firing.

Last edited by Felix C; 02-26-2014 at 05:55 PM..

Old 02-26-2014, 05:53 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
Back to Blood by Tom Wolfe.

I can't believe I've never read him before! It's a wonderful book.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:54 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Back to Blood by Tom Wolfe.

I can't believe I've never read him before! It's a wonderful book.
My favorite Tom Wolfe book is Bonfire of the Vanities. I highly recommend it.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:03 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I was raised on the film Zulu and the book The Washing of the Spears. Great to now know, from an expert, how the event actually/probaby occurred.

His other book on Isandlwana is excellent as well. How Can I Man Die Better. I will read it again next.

NB: What stands out to me about RD is that over 100 Zulu firearms were recoved after the battle and burnt. Also, the image of the British soldiers standing tall behind the barricades is false as they were also just peering over the mealie bag walls to provide a minimal target to Zulu snap firing.
Have you read any of Robert Ruark's books? He wrote Something of Value and Uhuru. They are fiction but based on fact just like Michener's books are. It's the history of the places and the people that I enjoy.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:06 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
No. Too many topics of interest and not enough free time to read all the books I have planned. Also, wish to reread books read 30years ago.

I am a straightforward History only reader.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:06 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
The library hates me so it gives me nothing or everything all at once. I got The Goldfinch, Dear Girls Above Me, and wrestled with how to get a %&%^&%*^(__( audiobook so I will stay on the treadmill longer, which is Genisis by Poul Anderson.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-28-2014, 08:38 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Crow Lake by Mary Lawson. I'm really enjoying it. My only negative comment is that there's too much foreshadowing. "I didn't realize what that meant so I didn't tell anyone. I don't know if it made a difference or not in what happened later." She does a LOT of that and I wish she wouldn't. But the writing is lovely and I love the main characters.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:50 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Crow Lake by Mary Lawson. I'm really enjoying it. My only negative comment is that there's too much foreshadowing. "I didn't realize what that meant so I didn't tell anyone. I don't know if it made a difference or not in what happened later." She does a LOT of that and I wish she wouldn't. But the writing is lovely and I love the main characters.

Good book! I recently read it and then recommended it to Ketabcha, who also enjoyed it.

PS. Her other two books are NOT as good. The Other Side of the Bridge is okay, but just barely. Road Ends is not even tepid. I can't recommend either, really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books