Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2014, 09:12 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times

Advertisements

I am reading Paper Towns by John Green. I know some people frown upon adults reading YA fiction, but really, I think John Green is a great author who just happens to write books from the perspective of teens. I am thoroughly enjoying this book. I am so thrilled that the weekend is starting so I can kick back and enjoy it. It is basically about two teens who are neighbors, a boy and a girl, seniors in high school at the end of the school year. Where I am right now, they went on an "adventure" together and now she has disappeared. Trying not to give anything away here as I hate to be the spoiler. If you read the description and think it sounds good, I recommend reading it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 09:18 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Good book! I recently read it and then recommended it to Ketabcha, who also enjoyed it.

PS. Her other two books are NOT as good. The Other Side of the Bridge is okay, but just barely. Road Ends is not even tepid. I can't recommend either, really.
Yes! I made a list based on recommendations here and went to the library. It's been good reading so far. I probably won't bother with the other books, then, except I do love the writing about Canada.

Which reminds me. Have you ever read Winter Wheat by Mildred Walker? It takes place in Montana in the...40's, I think. I keep thinking of it while reading Crow Lake. I bet you would like it.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:31 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I am reading Paper Towns by John Green. I know some people frown upon adults reading YA fiction, but really, I think John Green is a great author who just happens to write books from the perspective of teens. I am thoroughly enjoying this book. I am so thrilled that the weekend is starting so I can kick back and enjoy it. It is basically about two teens who are neighbors, a boy and a girl, seniors in high school at the end of the school year. Where I am right now, they went on an "adventure" together and now she has disappeared. Trying not to give anything away here as I hate to be the spoiler. If you read the description and think it sounds good, I recommend reading it!
No judgment from me (ever... about anything... and certainly never about John Green). In fact, after I read and loved The Fault in Our Stars, I downloaded three others of his (Looking for Alaska, Paper Towns, and An Abundance of Katherines). I haven't read any of them yet but I will. I most certainly will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Yes! I made a list based on recommendations here and went to the library. It's been good reading so far. I probably won't bother with the other books, then, except I do love the writing about Canada.

Which reminds me. Have you ever read Winter Wheat by Mildred Walker? It takes place in Montana in the...40's, I think. I keep thinking of it while reading Crow Lake. I bet you would like it.
Thanks for the rec, Marlow. It looks fabulous! I asked my library to get it. If they don't, I'll suck it up and buy it.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:46 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
IMO, people who frown on YA books are missing a lot of exceptional literature.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Crow Lake by Mary Lawson. I'm really enjoying it. My only negative comment is that there's too much foreshadowing. "I didn't realize what that meant so I didn't tell anyone. I don't know if it made a difference or not in what happened later." She does a LOT of that and I wish she wouldn't. But the writing is lovely and I love the main characters.
Oh, oh, oh! I LOVE that book. It grabbed me from the first page and did not let go. I wish I had not read it because then I could read it again without knowing what is going to happen. I'll read it again, anyway.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:56 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,907,440 times
I'm reading "A Guide to the Good Life -- the ancient art of stoic joy." -- William B. Irvine. I'm not sure how I came upon it and I'm typically not a reader of philosophy, but this is a good one. Adopting a life philosophy of "stoic joy" sounds oxymoronic, but not so. It's an easy read and I suspect it'll be a book I'll revisit often.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
No judgment from me (ever... about anything... and certainly never about John Green). In fact, after I read and loved The Fault in Our Stars, I downloaded three others of his (Looking for Alaska, Paper Towns, and An Abundance of Katherines). I haven't read any of them yet but I will. I most certainly will.
I have Looking for Alaska on my hold list at the library and I bought it for my niece the other day because she loved The Fault in Our Stars and Paper Towns. I did try a go at An Abundance of Katherines but I could not get into it. Maybe it wasn't the right time for me then (which I think might have been the case as I think it was immediately after I read The Fault in Our Stars and if it isn't a series, I avoid reading two by the same author right in a row.).

My library has Crow Lake, 3 copies, all available. I think I'll be hitting up the library soon. Don't have ebook so I actually get to go there.

On a side note, I was looking at Sharp Objects and Dark Places by Gillian Flynn as I've been wanting to read them. The hold lists for the ebooks are exceptionally long so I have held off hoping they would shrink. They haven't. So I decided to actually look at the regular books, and the hold lists are like 7 and 1. What the heck am I doing waiting for ebooks with hold lists in the 50s and 60s?? Sheesh!

Old 02-28-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
IMO, people who frown on YA books are missing a lot of exceptional literature.
I totally agree!!

Old 02-28-2014, 01:12 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I just finished Unsaid by Neil Abramson.

First, the bad: The writing is simplistic. The story is melodramatic, predictable much of the time, obviously unrealistic, and sappy.

Now, the good: I cried from beginning to end. Oh, how I absolutely SOBBED during the last quarter.

If there were no animals involved in this story, I would never have read it. Ironically, because there were animals in it, I should not have read it. The parts with the chimp(s) were heartbreaking. The parts with the dog were heartwrenching. I cried for them and I cried harder for Artie (my dog).

Please forgive my own melodrama (as if he could ever read, even when he was here with me): Rest in peace, Artie. I will always love you.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availables View Post
amazon.com

“The Fault in Our Stars is a love story, one of the most genuine and moving ones in recent American fiction, but it’s also an existential tragedy of tremendous intelligence and courage and sadness.” —Lev Grossman, TIME Magazine

I was curious about the popularity of this book. After several pages read I was so moved by the novel. It's amazing to see two people together who share so much emotion! Never regret to buy this...
This book broke my heart into so many small pieces that I thought it would never be whole again. I absolutely adored it. I recommend it to folks anytime the subject of books comes up. What a beautifully written, lovingly constructed story of two exceptional young people.

The only other book that has come this close shattering me is The Unit by Nini Holmqvist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books