Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2014, 02:12 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Good book! I recently read it and then recommended it to Ketabcha, who also enjoyed it.

PS. Her other two books are NOT as good. The Other Side of the Bridge is okay, but just barely. Road Ends is not even tepid. I can't recommend either, really.
Add me to the group. I picked up Crow Lake the other day from the library. Looking forward to reading as everyone has recommended the book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 03:26 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
I just finished Unsaid by Neil Abramson.

First, the bad: The writing is simplistic. The story is melodramatic, predictable much of the time, obviously unrealistic, and sappy.

Now, the good: I cried from beginning to end. Oh, how I absolutely SOBBED during the last quarter.

If there were no animals involved in this story, I would never have read it. Ironically, because there were animals in it, I should not have read it. The parts with the chimp(s) were heartbreaking. The parts with the dog were heartwrenching. I cried for them and I cried harder for Artie (my dog).

Please forgive my own melodrama (as if he could ever read, even when he was here with me): Rest in peace, Artie. I will always love you.
Awwww, Dawn (((hug))).

I tried to read that book but couldn't get past the writing. Now I'm sorta glad I couldn't. I still have it though so maybe I'll just read the last part....

Old 02-28-2014, 03:28 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
I just finished Paris Architect by Charles Belfoure. It's a good book and interesting, too. It's also quite thrilling.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:08 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
So good to hear!!

I put The Unit on my Amazon wishlist. Too many books right now (library holds that are almost mine, library books I want to get from the library, books I have bought for my Kindle, books my sister has bought for me for the Kindle, and on and on ) so I'm gonna hold off for now. It sounds very interesting to me so hopefully I'll just break down and get it soon. Going to Disney World soon, though, and have to get that paid for first too so trying to save, save, save.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:57 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Quote:
I just finished Unsaid by Neil Abramson.

First, the bad: The writing is simplistic. The story is melodramatic, predictable much of the time, obviously unrealistic, and sappy.

Now, the good: I cried from beginning to end. Oh, how I absolutely SOBBED during the last quarter.

If there were no animals involved in this story, I would never have read it. Ironically, because there were animals in it, I should not have read it. The parts with the chimp(s) were heartbreaking. The parts with the dog were heartwrenching. I cried for them and I cried harder for Artie (my dog).

Please forgive my own melodrama (as if he could ever read, even when he was here with me): Rest in peace, Artie. I will always love you.

I feel I must say that I think I talked Dawn into this book and I as well used a whole box of kleenex while reading this book and it moved me to tears any book that can move me to tears is an awesome book in my opinion , Then today a man was in the line ahead of us at the grocery store he said he was in his 70's and he had walked to get something from the store and he asked the cashier to please get him something she came back with it and handed it to him and then she started ringing us up and when we asked her about it she said to us " im already ringing you up " I was peed to say the least and I will never go to that store again . I will go to another one that has a better attitude towards its customers . sorry just had to vent about that . I hope that animals treat each other better than some of us do . Im sorry to get off track and I must say Dawn has become a good friend and I would never want to make her sad or hurt her feelings . She graciously accepted my apology last night when I apologized to her for recomending this book . I just did not remember that she had recently lost artie . Im a ditz sometimes and stuff happens .So if I have offended anyone over this book it was not intentional .

Old 02-28-2014, 04:59 PM

Im going to pick up the paris architect tommorow at the library I hope I enjoy it as much as everyone on here has thank you all for some of the best books I have ever read and hope to continue reading and making friends here .

Old 02-28-2014, 06:18 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I feel I must say that I think I talked Dawn into this book and I as well used a whole box of kleenex while reading this book and it moved me to tears any book that can move me to tears is an awesome book in my opinion , Then today a man was in the line ahead of us at the grocery store he said he was in his 70's and he had walked to get something from the store and he asked the cashier to please get him something she came back with it and handed it to him and then she started ringing us up and when we asked her about it she said to us " im already ringing you up " I was peed to say the least and I will never go to that store again . I will go to another one that has a better attitude towards its customers . sorry just had to vent about that . I hope that animals treat each other better than some of us do . Im sorry to get off track and I must say Dawn has become a good friend and I would never want to make her sad or hurt her feelings . She graciously accepted my apology last night when I apologized to her for recomending this book . I just did not remember that she had recently lost artie . Im a ditz sometimes and stuff happens .So if I have offended anyone over this book it was not intentional .
STOP THAT! There's no need to apologize. I'm a big girl. I read the synopsis, I knew what I was getting into. I didn't have to read the book. I didn't have to read the WHOLE book. But I did.

Here, let me make it better: It was cathartic for me. You know that I've been having a hard time since I "lost" Artie in early September. I think that I needed this GREAT BIG CRY. I cry a lot for and about him, but this was deeper than that. In some ways, I felt worse -- AND THAT'S OKAY! -- but it was good that I got that huge cry out.

You didn't make me sad or hurt my feelings. I promise you that.

xxo

Old 02-28-2014, 06:20 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,224,729 times
Patterson "11th hour"..

Old 02-28-2014, 09:59 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
I just read The Chaperone. I started it while waiting for DH having a procedure at hospital. The first few pages I was regretting that I had nothing else to read. I kept on though, and after about the first 15 or 20 pages I was enjoying it enough to continue. Then I got totally sucked into it and finished it within 3 days (for me this is super fast). I really could not put it down.
When I think about it I have to say that as I read it, I was consumed and believing. At the end though, I really thought how it was really a stretch and not very plausible. ................but it totally sucked me in .

Old 03-01-2014, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I just read The Chaperone. I started it while waiting for DH having a procedure at hospital. The first few pages I was regretting that I had nothing else to read. I kept on though, and after about the first 15 or 20 pages I was enjoying it enough to continue. Then I got totally sucked into it and finished it within 3 days (for me this is super fast). I really could not put it down.
When I think about it I have to say that as I read it, I was consumed and believing. At the end though, I really thought how it was really a stretch and not very plausible. ................but it totally sucked me in .
May , I read that one too and it did the same thing to me sucked me in totally and yeah I agree it was not a very good book at all in my opinion ...
I cant wait to read the paris architect ...I hope it is as good as everyone says .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books