Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2014, 04:47 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I am reading Paper Towns by John Green. I know some people frown upon adults reading YA fiction, but really, I think John Green is a great author who just happens to write books from the perspective of teens. I am thoroughly enjoying this book. I am so thrilled that the weekend is starting so I can kick back and enjoy it. It is basically about two teens who are neighbors, a boy and a girl, seniors in high school at the end of the school year. Where I am right now, they went on an "adventure" together and now she has disappeared. Trying not to give anything away here as I hate to be the spoiler. If you read the description and think it sounds good, I recommend reading it!
I enjoy a lot of YA adult books. I haven't read any John Green yet but I just requested Paper Towns and The Fault In Our Stars from my library.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I just finished Unsaid by Neil Abramson.

First, the bad: The writing is simplistic. The story is melodramatic, predictable much of the time, obviously unrealistic, and sappy.

Now, the good: I cried from beginning to end. Oh, how I absolutely SOBBED during the last quarter.

If there were no animals involved in this story, I would never have read it. Ironically, because there were animals in it, I should not have read it. The parts with the chimp(s) were heartbreaking. The parts with the dog were heartwrenching. I cried for them and I cried harder for Artie (my dog).

Please forgive my own melodrama (as if he could ever read, even when he was here with me): Rest in peace, Artie. I will always love you.
It sounds great...now please pass the tissues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brienzi View Post
Patterson "11th hour"..
I don't think I have read that one yet. How is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I've found a little gem. I'm only 1/4 through it and I'm having trouble putting it down so I can go to bed.

Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society: A Novel by Amy Hill Hearth.

It's a mix of Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Café, Saving CeeCee Honeycutt and The Help.
The characters are delicious and the hijinks are great fun.
That one sounds right up my alley. Thank you.

Yay...I am back home which means the library My DH and I had our granddaughter for the weekend so I didn't get any reading in. Some things are more important I finished Cold Snap by Allison Brennan. It was not one of her better books.

My treadmill book from my Kindle is "Cooking with Hot Flashes: And Other Ways to Make Middle Age Profitable" by Martha Bolton. I needed a light book while I walk but it is not very good or very funny. I will wrap it up tomorrow and find something else to read.

This morning I stated Joyland by Stephen King. It has been many years since I have read any of his books. We will see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 06:21 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Lisa, I so hope you enjoy the John Green books. I really think he is an exceptional author.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
i finished "The Paris Architect " by Charles belfoure . What an awesome book and i loved , loved , loved it . One of the best I have read this year and definately will be in my top ten listings at the end of the year .I hope everyone gets a chance to read it .
Woot woot!! So glad you enjoyed it!

Old 03-04-2014, 11:50 PM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times
Finished "Outlander" in only four weeks. Given that I don't have much time to read with DH being away at work from Mondays to Thursdays and two little kids and the German version having about 850 pages that is quite good work.

Now I'm 10% into "Dragonfly in Amber".

I guess I'll be reading this series till early summer

Old 03-05-2014, 03:17 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I've found a little gem. I'm only 1/4 through it and I'm having trouble putting it down so I can go to bed.

Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society: A Novel by Amy Hill Hearth.

It's a mix of Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Café, Saving CeeCee Honeycutt and The Help.
The characters are delicious and the hijinks are great fun.

Oh I loved this book and I wanted it to go on and on . definately one of my top ten in my list . yes it was right up there with FGT and The help and saving cee cee honeycutt ...Love

Old 03-05-2014, 03:19 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Im onto the funeral dress next I hope it is as good as the paris architect ....has anyone read it and what did you think ?

Old 03-05-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Im onto the funeral dress next I hope it is as good as the paris architect ....has anyone read it and what did you think ?
I haven't heard of it, but it sure sounds good. Let us know what you think. I'm going to add to my wish list and check my library. I'll give it a read when I can too.

Old 03-05-2014, 03:13 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post

My treadmill book from my Kindle is "Cooking with Hot Flashes: And Other Ways to Make Middle Age Profitable" by Martha Bolton. I needed a light book while I walk but it is not very good or very funny. I will wrap it up tomorrow and find something else to read.

This morning I stated Joyland by Stephen King. It has been many years since I have read any of his books. We will see.

Thumbs down for Cooking With Hot Flashes.

I am about halfway through Joyland and I am enjoying it.

I started a new treadmill book this morning called "May on the Way: How I Become a K9 Spy" I think it is going to be a cute story written from the point of view of a Schnauzer. I may read it wit my granddaughter.

"Sometimes I start with a well-thought out plan, and sometimes, me being me, things just happen. In my imagination I'm on my way, heading anywhere. Because anywhere's better than here.

Which is why I'm staring at this latch. I'm going to escape today. I've been watching closely to see how they work it, though no one's noticed.

Humans... So unaware...

In this first-of-the-series adventure, May, an imaginative young Schnauzer, tells her own story in first dog. She escapes a bad situation through adoption into the home of a grouchy Labrador. When her new family moves to the country, May ventures out where she's not supposed to be, and discovers an odd "bird" near a rickety old shed with a secret.

She's on her way to becoming a K9 Spy!"

Old 03-05-2014, 04:06 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,165,546 times
Focus: The Hidden Driver of Excellence by Daniel Goleman

Old 03-05-2014, 04:09 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,275,815 times
Success Through a Positive Mental Attitude - Napoleon Hill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books