Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2014, 06:53 AM

443 posts, read 564,704 times

Advertisements

I have just finished Never Tell A Lie by Hallie Ephron. A good read on a cold dark night.
Never Tell a Lie by Hallie Ephron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 10:40 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Hi, friends.

Just finished "Bring Up the Bodies," by Hilary Mantel (Thomas Cromwell trilogy, #2)

When I read or listen to a historic fiction work as richly textured and powerful as Hilary Mantel's have proven to be in both this one and the first of the trilogy, I am astounded at how dry and lifeless our history textbooks were in school. Hilary brings each character to life, giving them color, wit, character, and personal charms. I grow a bit weary with reading about Henry Tudor VIII, but it is only from his lack of character and not Hilary's description of the events. I will definitely make space on my reading list for the last of this trilogy.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:43 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,693,761 times
In the middle of "Sacrifice" by S.J. Bolton. It sucked me in right from the start. Good stuff!

Old 03-08-2014, 04:13 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
I finally finished The Circle by Dave Eggers. It was pretty good - thought provoking, but too long. Some of the more interesting threads got dropped while others were beat to death.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:10 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
I finished the last 100 pages of Gorky's "Mother" last night. I liked it, but I did not REALLY like it. Then again, I read this one to be informed, and it did inform me.

Maxim Gorky wrote this book in a cabin in the Adirondacks in 1905, as a historically based fiction of his comrades and circumstances in his Russian home, from which he was forced to escape for his revolutionary activities. It was the first book I've found since I started my casual search for descriptions of the impoverished peoples that fed the French and Russian "Terrors."

Gorky was an optimist with a view of society that I see (in my post-Modern perspective) as ideal and naive. He has not yet seen the overthrow of the Russian aristocrats, only to discover himself trapped by Party Leaders that are even more harsh, cruel, and greedy. He will not see that even when those party leaders are overthrown there are those people whose greed will drive them to oppress their own.

If I were to have read this book when it was first published, my heart may have soared with Mother's heart, knowing that there was a utopia to be attained, but I was not born until generations later, to grow and find ourselves subject to globalization and multinational corporations that are the new oppressors.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:30 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
I just finished "The Funeral Dress " By Susan Gregg Gilmore ...OMG another top ten lister for me this year !!! It was so good ...I urge all of you fellow readers to read it .

Old 03-09-2014, 02:56 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I just finished "The Funeral Dress " By Susan Gregg Gilmore ...OMG another top ten lister for me this year !!! It was so good ...I urge all of you fellow readers to read it .
Read your recommendation and went to the library to get it. Have been spending the last few days starting and stopping books so here's hoping. I also picked up A Summer to Die by Lois Lowry based on previous discussion on here and the first in the Call The Midwife trilogy.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:57 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Well Im moving on to mrs darcy and the blue eyed stranger when I pick it up from the library tommorow . Yeah ...

Old 03-09-2014, 05:50 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,810,279 times
I don't even remember how I stumbled upon the "in Death" series by J.D. Robb (Nora Roberts), but I am now fully involved and reading #18 out of 30+ books. The series started in 1995 and is still going. I really enjoy the main characters how they change and evolve throughout the series.

There are so many other books I've got stacked up (on my Kindle) it's not even funny. I am getting a bit anxious about forgetting something I wanted to read while I am sidetracked by this series.

Old 03-09-2014, 07:04 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,275,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
I don't even remember how I stumbled upon the "in Death" series by J.D. Robb (Nora Roberts), but I am now fully involved and reading #18 out of 30+ books. The series started in 1995 and is still going. I really enjoy the main characters how they change and evolve throughout the series.

There are so many other books I've got stacked up (on my Kindle) it's not even funny. I am getting a bit anxious about forgetting something I wanted to read while I am sidetracked by this series.

I OVE this series!!! Twenty years later and this series is still going strong. I would love a novel from Mira's point of view. I love her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books