Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2014, 10:45 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times

Advertisements

Let's talk about Jeffrey Archer. Okay, let's not. ahahahahahaha

He started a series of Archer's books and the third has just been released. I've always liked Archer but I had not read him in years. I've just finished the first book in this series. Its title is Only Time Will Tell. It begins in England in the 1920 and book is the first in a family saga.

I'll just say that the story and the characters are bodacious. This one is great fun to read. It reminds me of Taylor Caldwell's Captains and the Kings as well as Irwin Shaw's Rich Man, Poor Man. I recommend it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 03:56 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
LOVED The Funeral Dress and recommend it. Excellent book.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:27 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
LOVED The Funeral Dress and recommend it. Excellent book.
im so glad you loved it too ...

Old 03-15-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
im so glad you loved it too ...
I wanted to savor it when I finished but I have found myself overwhelmed with a bunch of library books. I am now reading Wonder by RJ Palacios.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:51 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Im not really sure about this one Miss Peregrines home for peculiar children yet ...it is very odd and somewhat hard to follow and I have also got a new computer to occupy my time and that is taking most of my time these days .So yeah mine is not library books but a slew of other things and then there are the tomatoe plants that need to be watered . It is that time of year I guess .

Old 03-15-2014, 01:32 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Let's talk about Jeffrey Archer. Okay, let's not. ahahahahahaha

He started a series of Archer's books and the third has just been released. I've always liked Archer but I had not read him in years. I've just finished the first book in this series. Its title is Only Time Will Tell. It begins in England in the 1920 and book is the first in a family saga.

I'll just say that the story and the characters are bodacious. This one is great fun to read. It reminds me of Taylor Caldwell's Captains and the Kings as well as Irwin Shaw's Rich Man, Poor Man. I recommend it.
A blast from the past. I read and enjoyed several Taylor Caldwell books years ago. Rich Man, Poor Man as well. I'll put Only Time Will Tell on my list.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:55 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,368,233 times
I'm nearly 2/3 through Sherri Fink's "Five Days at Memorial: Life and Death in a Storm-Ravaged Hospital" (2013),
which is about the investigation into what transpired at Memorial Hospital in New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina.

To me, it's fascinating-because natural disasters and how people cope with them are one of my interests.
Hadn't heard of the book or author before-a friend picked it up in the library & showed me, I had a look & checked it out.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:40 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I've found a little gem. I'm only 1/4 through it and I'm having trouble putting it down so I can go to bed.

Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society: A Novel by Amy Hill Hearth.

It's a mix of Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Café, Saving CeeCee Honeycutt and The Help.
The characters are delicious and the hijinks are great fun.
I reserved this book when I read your post, and just picked it up yesterday , I am enjoying it and it's a very easy enjoyable read.
I think the magic words for me were literary society. How I loved the Guernsey one!!

I am also continuing to read the Worlds of Sholem Aleichem which I mentioned earlier and it is fascinating but so overwhelmingly chock full of facts. In case people don't know who that is- Fiddler on the Roof

Also recently finished As the Crow Flies by Jeffrey Archer (which was recommended on the thread I started when I was having a hard time getting back into reading). I really enjoyed that one and am happy to see he has quite a few more (and that they are not all so huge).

Old 03-16-2014, 01:37 PM

335 posts, read 409,725 times
I'm presently reading "The Harbinger" and Exo Vaticana the former interests me as it appears
to be a biblical discovery that America and the world to an extent are being warned and warned
in a series of events . The "Last Pope" scenario is also an interesting prophecy of St Malachy
that is a humdinger and perhaps a segment of end-times?

Old 03-16-2014, 08:40 PM

Finished Wonder by R J Palacio and am now reading The Secret History by Donna Tartt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books