Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2014, 02:43 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times

Advertisements

Well, well, well. Under the Wide and Starry Sky is not going well. Her writing style is low-level and stilted, and the flow is just... not flowing. UGH! I'm throwing in the wide and starry towel. I'm not sure what I'll try next. I feel jinxed.

ETA: I'll try netwit's suggestion of Ten Thousand Saints. Then I'll know -- if I can't get past page 50 -- that it's not the book (since netwit liked it), it's me.

ETA2: Aw, crap, I give up! Nothing is working for me, not even netwit's recommendation. I guess I'll watch TV tonight. Feh!

Last edited by DawnMTL; 03-17-2014 at 03:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 02:49 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,807,166 times
I just wrapped up Ian McEwan's The Innocent.

Now I'm working on Colin Fletcher's The Man Who Walked Through Time and Robert Persig's Zen And The Art Of Motorcyle Maintenance - both rereads to reacquaint myself with their styles related to a project on which I am working.

I'm undecided as to which fiction to add to the current list. Joseph Conrad's Heart Of Darkness is high on the list, as I have a compact paperback which will fit nicely in my carry-on tomorrow as I depart for a week. Tim O'Brien's Going After Cacciato is another candidate. Annie Proulx's Close Range: Wyoming Stories would be, but the cheap used copy I found is a hardcover, a bit too big to lug around the Mojave Desert in a backpack for the next week.

Decisions, decisions! (with only right and highly anticipated answers, I might add!)

Old 03-17-2014, 05:38 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Well, well, well. Under the Wide and Starry Sky is not going well. Her writing style is low-level and stilted, and the flow is just... not flowing. UGH! I'm throwing in the wide and starry towel. I'm not sure what I'll try next. I feel jinxed.
Agree. I read the first maybe second chapter, but it was boring and the writing was choppy. Loving Frank was much better.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:16 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I have barely started it, only the prologue so far. I think it sounds really good though. I'll get some chapters read tonight I'm sure so I'll have a better idea after that.
Well I think it will be a good book, just not right now. I got to page 25 and it felt like it took hours to get there. Git jury duty this week too so I think I will read a regular book in case I have to report.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:23 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,452,259 times
I finished The Goldfinch today (really good) and I started A Husband's Secret. In the car I am listening to Dust (Patricia Cornwell) So far, I am not impressed with Dust. Maybe it will improve.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:17 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I hope you will enjoy The Fault in Our Stars more than "Ehh...it was okay." I really liked both books. I like John Green's writing and storytelling.
Thanks. I am always open to trying new books and authors. Heck I know most of you don't like the books I enjoy the most

Old 03-18-2014, 06:27 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
I finished The Goldfinch today (really good) and I started A Husband's Secret. In the car I am listening to Dust (Patricia Cornwell) So far, I am not impressed with Dust. Maybe it will improve.
Im not impressed with pat cornwell anyways . I think her first books were the best and now she is just blah ...

Old 03-18-2014, 09:51 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Thanks. I am always open to trying new books and authors. Heck I know most of you don't like the books I enjoy the most
I feel the same way. I don't always post what I'm reading because I figure no one would like it.

I am reading Call The Midwife now. Started it after I decided to wait on The Secret History. I'm watching the TV show as well and am about two-thirds of the way through season 2 and season 3 starts soon. I've really been enjoying it and so far the book is good too.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:33 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Marilynne Robinson's "Gilead". At first, it didn't read like a book that I'd want to continue, but in spite of its literary simplicity, it is a compendium of interesting insight, as well as a window on life in an historical era. It's a spiritual journey, that is not offensive to even a confirmed atheist.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:45 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,859,469 times
Some public domain short stories by Phillip K Dick. Really interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books