Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2014, 09:05 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,911,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Sorry…I haven't read or even heard of any of those. Thanks for the new ideas though….My Enemy's Cradle looks very good.

Let us know what you think
Thank you Lisa and I will and yeah I sort of like to educate myself through my books and I have done this all my life since I could read and my 3rd grade teacher sister Mary Kathleen...yep catholic school raised ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 07:09 PM

7,291 posts, read 5,418,971 times
I just started reading The Medea Complex.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:39 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,325,016 times
I set aside another book. I have decided it really is not a good idea to read a book that is the basis of a TV show you are watching. Will pick up Call The Midwife in the summer or fall. I am now reading Crow Lake and am pleased with it.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:26 AM

757 posts, read 1,018,209 times
I've recently finished reading A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce. I'd wanted to read it for so long and finally picked it up. Many regard it as a challenging book which I concur. However, it isn't a difficult one to read as one might think but rather it is quite difficult to follow sometimes. It doesn't have an apparent plot like other conventional novels and the style of writing keeps changing throughout. It can be confusing at times. Not surprisingly it was rejected by publishers when Joyce was trying hard to get it published in 1906. It took him another 10 years working on it and finally got it published in 1916.

The story itself is rather straight forward which is one of those coming-of-age type of stories. The problem lies on how Joyce chose to tell it to his audience. Instead of giving it to us in a chronological manner and describing the events as they happened he preferred to capture the story in his own mental reflections, feelings, thoughts, memories and consciousness much like someone thinking to himself. As such, it drifts from thought to thought without much direction much like an old man recalling incoherent memories. The problem is compounded by Joyce's economical use of dialogues which makes this novel even more challenging to read for many readers.

Strangely enough, it is precisely this "Style" of writing that makes him famous and put him on the map of classic English literature as it is considered innovative even in today standard. Joyce belonged to the avant-guarde movement which gave him artistic license to write so unconventionally and still be praised so highly for it. Without the academic breakthrough that came with the movement A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man would still have been largely ignored and misunderstood as it was in 1906. Since then Joyce had become one of the most important writer and this novel a must-read classic for every serious reader.

Having said that this book is most definitely not for anyone, I don't believe Joyce wrote it with any specific target audience in mind. It is as if he wrote it entirely to satisfy himself and his creative needs as it is his autobiographical work. It is difficult to tell exactly what one gets from reading this particular novel apart from admiring Joyce innovative style of writing, his deeply rooted Catholic guilt and fear, his theology, his philosophy of aesthetics, his political view points, etc. It's a lot of work reading it but not enough pleasure in return in my humble opinion. Be warned.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:31 AM

198 posts, read 272,087 times
I'm just finishing up James Patterson's "Alex Cross" series. I like a little break from nonfiction now and then. After all the trauma in these books, I'm ready to go back to nonfiction though. LOL! On the other hand, truth is often scarier than fiction.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:54 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,476,031 times
"Girl on the Golden Coin: A Novel of Frances Stuart," by Marci Jefferson

This historic fiction romance was amazing for being a debut novel and I am certain that Marci Jefferson is on her way to a truly stellar career in writing. I normally don't go in for romance novels, but this one was so well done that I could not not read it. Even after swearing that I'd not read another account of British monarchies for another year at least, I had to keep reading this one. (I just thank God it wasn't another about Henry Tudor the Eighth!)

I hope Marci keeps on writing and will be looking for future works from her.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:17 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,214,718 times
Just finished "A Stained White Radiance" by James Burke.

Old 03-22-2014, 07:04 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,238,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Just finished "A Stained White Radiance" by James Burke.
That looks good

I just finished Finding Alaska. It was good but nothing great.

I am in the middle of Hostage by Kay Hooper. I love the Bishop series. This one is good but not her best.

Hmm…maybe I am in a rut, lol. I haven't read a really good or great book in awhile. I just had an author write me back on Goodreads because I didn't care for his book, when many others did. It was just to boring to finish. I did feel kind of guilty about that.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:56 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,911,362 times
Well I finished 'The Reservoir"by James Milliken Thompson , awesome truly good book . However mothers and other liars , No good could not get into it , Next to love , not my cup of tea , some of you might find it good . Now im onto my enemys cradle and abdication . I will let you know about the last two take care all .

Old 03-22-2014, 09:59 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,874,307 times
I am on page 32 of Savage Harvest. This means that I have survived page 11 which is an incredibly graphic description of a beheading and butchering of a human. I am hoping the worst is over.

In spite of the wincing and squirming, I'm appreciating Carl Hoffman's book describing the events of Michael Rockefeller's disappearance (and probable beheading) in 1961.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books