Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2014, 09:05 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,870,878 times

Advertisements

I'm really loving my E. B. White essays and so is my husband because I keep reading out loud to him (which he always enjoys). I like having a book that I can pick up and put down between other commitments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 11:05 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,833,694 times
Just finished 'Interview with a Vampire', by Anne Rice. Interesting. A bit long, and dull in the middle. More about existential angst than vampires. Not sure I can make it through the rest of that series with her writing style.

Just started a JJ Jance mystery. The Arizona cop series. I forget which book.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:48 AM

777 posts, read 1,328,149 times
Halfway through Someday, Someday, Maybe by Lauren Graham. I love her as an actress so I figured, shoot, she wrote a novel! It is way better than I expected (she did study English once upon a time), and much more engaging than I thought it'd be. I've been bored with a lot of books I've been reading the past few years, and this is probably the first one I can't wait to pick back up and finish reading. It's not perfect, and the main character has a serious self-esteem issue (which she makes intentional-but can aggravate the average person), but it's a smooth read. It's nice being in Graham's head. haha. I hope she writes more!

Old 03-29-2014, 05:31 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,165,680 times
I've read the first two of three episodes of Greig Beck's The First Bird. The author is a businessman with an MBA in Australia. He writes in his spare time. He's good. I put him in a category that combines Clive Cussler and Indiana Jones. These are action books with the hero being a linguist who studies ancient languages. So, he's invited along on some rip-roaring field trips.

As with Cussler, the reader learns a lot of interesting stuff that is excellent fodder for cocktail party conversation. Yeah, well, I don't do cocktail parties but you just never know when someone on the street will stop you and ask about giant crustaceans or ask whether you think the dinosaur started out as a bird. You'll find out in these books. They are fun and exciting.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:09 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,742,705 times
What got you here, Wont get you there. and;

The Affair.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:41 PM

48,202 posts, read 34,233,093 times
Life is so hectic right now that my normal reading time is in bed, and I immediately fall asleep.

When I get busy like this I need light entertainment, which led to Dear Girls Above Me, which started as a writer's tweet about the conversations of the 20-something girls upstairs. While pretty amusing, if any of it is true, I fear for the future of society.

I had stopped reading Stephen King around Insomnia. I had enjoyed him for a long time but it seemed he became very self-indulgent in his writing. He had enough literary pull to publish anything that came into his head, and did. But I gave it another try and read Hearts in Atlantis... meh. I like his writing style, always have, but I felt it fell flat.

Right now reading The Bourne Supremacy (never saw the movie), and the Fountain Society, and I'm enjoying both.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-30-2014, 06:53 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,228,164 times
Thank you all for recommending Cutting For Stone. It took me awhile to finish it but I loved it. One of the best books I have read.

I just started Three Little Words by Ashley Rhode Courter.
"Sunshine, you're my baby and I'm your only mother. You must mind the one taking care of you, but she's not your mama." Ashley Rhodes-Courter spent nine years of her life in fourteen different foster homes, living by those words. As her mother spirals out of control, Ashley is left clinging to an unpredictable, dissolving relationship, all the while getting pulled deeper and deeper into the foster care system.

Painful memories of being taken away from her home quickly become consumed by real-life horrors, where Ashley is juggled between caseworkers, shuffled from school to school, and forced to endure manipulative,humiliating treatment from a very abusive foster family. In this inspiring, unforgettable memoir, Ashley finds the courage to succeed - and in doing so, discovers the power of her own voice."

Old 03-30-2014, 09:22 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,033,300 times
I'm reading The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry. It was recommended by someone on a blog.

I just had to add this forum to my favorites so I can add to my list of books to read. I usually go to the Salvation Army and pick up books there, but I like to get recommendations from friends as well. Usually am reading a mystery. The last one I read was Towards Zero by Agatha Christie.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:50 AM

42,618 posts, read 86,428,978 times
"Everything Ravaged Everything Burned",, a collection of short stories by Wells Tower, who has, apparently, published nothing else. A very imaginative and colorful writer, worth reading even if you don't like short stories (which I don't), I thought "Wild America" was the best of the collection. I didn't care for the way any of the stories ended, but maybe that's how short stories are done nowadays, I rarely read them. I hope he writes a novel or two.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:59 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,631,519 times
I just finished Please Be With Me by Galadrielle Allman-Duane's daughter and it was fantastic-very well written and interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books