Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2014, 05:40 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times

Advertisements

Sold by by Patricia McCormick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 08:05 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I downloaded the The Wandering Falcon and it was well written. Unfortunately, I read the comparison to Cormac McCarthy's work and decided not to read it. McCarthy is too depressing for me. The Passage of Power is also on my "to read" list. I have enormous admiration for LBJ.
Don't let the comparison to McCarthy keep you from reading it. The author's writing style is a bit like McCarthy's and the tales are bleak, but not utterly depressing like some of the things I've read by McCarthy. The Wandering Falcon will leave you pensive, but not emotionally exhausted.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:02 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,806,194 times
I just finished Manson: The Life and Times of Charles Manson, which incorporates unprecedented interviews with friends and family to produce what is probably the definitely Manson biography. Author Jeff Guinn does an excellent job of turning the history into a compelling narrative. Of particular interest are the detailed methods Manson used to manipulate people. He relied on a variety of psychological techniques, including heavily incorporating Dale Carnegie's How To Win Friends And Influence People, and adding useful bits that he found here and there from different systems (one such being Scientology). Also, Manson's intensive working to score a record deal, which he based off his association with Dennis Wilson of the Beach Boys, who recorded and released a heavily re-worked Manson song in 1968, is thoroughly covered in the book. Manson used Wilson's musical connections to pitch his music to numerous stars and producers, most of whom thought little of him. One of the few who did was Neil Young, who thought perhaps something could be done with Manson's music to make it commercially viable. All in all, an excellent biography of a disturbing (to put it mildly) man.

Having finished that book, I am now well into Bruce Levine's The Fall of the House of Dixie: The Civil War and the Social Revolution that Transformed the South, an examination of the social dynamics of slavery and secession.

On the fiction side of the aisle, I'm working my way through the short story collection Close Range: Wyoming Stories, by Annie Proulx. After purchasing it, I was flipping through the table of contents and noticed that the last story is Brokeback Mountain - I had not previously realized that the film was based on a short story.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:49 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Finished Sold which was a very good and sad YA book.

Next up…one of my regular types.

Black For Remembrance by Carlene Thompson.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:08 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,057,296 times
I finished Joyland. I thought it was very good and a little short, but I don't think Stephen King actually wrote it. Not his writing style. I couldn't put it down, though, so it still gets a thumbs-up from me.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:21 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
After a bunch of false starts with other books, I read (and finished) Fearless by Rafael Yglesias. It was an easy read and the second half was quite interesting in terms of character and story development. It had been made into a movie a number of years ago and, funny enough, one that I'd have had no interest in seeing. But I like the way that Yglesias writes and I like what he did with the story and characters.

Now I'm reading Wonder by R.J. Palacio. It's a YA recommendation from fromupthere. Thanks, S, it's definitely an easy read but I can see how it will get deep and meaningful.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:48 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,367,511 times
Almost done with "Mud Season" by Ellen Stimson (2013), there's a thread about it in the Vermont section.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/vermo...ud-season.html

It's a memoir of how the author moved her family to rural Vermont, with much enthusiasm & big plans.
Not exactly profound, but it made for some light entertainment, an enjoyable way to pass the time.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:56 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
After a bunch of false starts with other books, I read (and finished) Fearless by Rafael Yglesias. It was an easy read and the second half was quite interesting in terms of character and story development. It had been made into a movie a number of years ago and, funny enough, one that I'd have had no interest in seeing. But I like the way that Yglesias writes and I like what he did with the story and characters.

Now I'm reading Wonder by R.J. Palacio. It's a YA recommendation from fromupthere. Thanks, S, it's definitely an easy read but I can see how it will get deep and meaningful.
Here's hoping you enjoy!

Old 04-09-2014, 03:56 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
today im reading the florabama ladies auxiliary and sewing circle and I just started it so I hope it is good .

Old 04-09-2014, 04:02 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
I just got The Art Forger in the mail. It is my book club book for this month.

We'll see...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books