Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2014, 02:10 AM

43 posts, read 73,439 times

Advertisements

Saipan suicide island by guy galbadon its about a Chicano (Mexican American) marine who single handedly captured 1,500 japenese enemy soldiers in WW2

Im also reading Liberalism is a mental disorder by Michael Savage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 06:47 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,275,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
The All Girl Filling Stations Last Reunion by Fannie Flagg

Typical light southern inspired story by Fannie. I am enjoying this one
Thanks for that one. I have never read anything by Fannie Flagg. That looks like a fun book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I finished Wonder by R.J. Palacio. Thanks, S, for the recommendation. It was a sad story that became sweet, and had all sorts of great life lessons for kids.
That one is on my list

I am now reading The Fault in Our Stars. I like this one much better than the other John Green books I have read.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:05 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,330,358 times
Per Looking's recommendation, I purchased this Kindle Daily Deal: Amazon.com: A Land More Kind Than Home eBook: Wiley Cash: Kindle Store It sounds really good and I look forward to readng it!

Old 04-11-2014, 09:15 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,223,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
Per Looking's recommendation, I purchased this Kindle Daily Deal: Amazon.com: A Land More Kind Than Home eBook: Wiley Cash: Kindle Store It sounds really good and I look forward to readng it!
Thanks. This book was on list so I bought.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:34 AM

42,618 posts, read 86,577,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBLUE 951SUR View Post
Saipan suicide island by guy galbadon its about a Chicano (Mexican American) marine who single handedly captured 1,500 japenese enemy soldiers in WW2

Im also reading Liberalism is a mental disorder by Michael Savage
Do those two books come as a boxed complementary set?

======

I started Ian McEwan's "Sweet Tooth" last night. I've never become a McEwan fan, but I'm enjoying this so far. There is a kind of edgy sexuality about MeEwan's books that doesn't always put me at ease. Like the subtext is not quite sub- enough. "Sweet Tooth" is written in a female first-person, and I admire a male writer who can pull that off.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:18 PM

241 posts, read 171,363 times
The Deserter's Tale: The Story of An Ordinary Soldier Who Walked Away From The War In Iraq. Quite interesting so far.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:47 PM

7,236 posts, read 9,209,354 times
Well, it's like this: I started reading 1177 B.C. : The Year Civilization Collapsed by Eric H. Cline. I started on the sample and then read a little of this, that and the other thing because it was a little on the expensive side, even as an e-book. But I really, really, really wanted to read it so I bought it. It's next year's birthday present to myself since I am pretty sure I already used up this year's birthday present to myself.

1177 B.C.: The Year Civilization Collapsed (Turning Points in Ancient History): Eric H. Cline: 9780691140896: Amazon.com: Books

And then a veritable tsunami of doctors' appointments, baby showers, deaths, dog vet appointments, and other things rained down on me and this month isn't over yet. Birthdays and more showers are yet to come, along with mud season (dogs, you know how it is) because spring finally arrived (I think. I heard rumblings about 10 cm of snow for tonight and tomorrow.)

So all I can say is that I'm still on that book and I was liking it but I haven't been able to focus on more than a line here and there for at least two weeks (?) And now I just have to lie down and recuperate from this day which has given me a terrible headache.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:22 PM

48,269 posts, read 34,391,475 times
I just started Outlander which kept me company while home sick, and I'm enjoying it. The household has been hectic, so reading time has been minimal. Finishing up on Bourne Identity which I adored, and kinda lost interest in the Fountain Society, I liked the concept but it kinda washed out later in the book.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-13-2014, 05:49 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,950,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Thanks for that one. I have never read anything by Fannie Flagg. That looks like a fun book.

That one is on my list

I am now reading The Fault in Our Stars. I like this one much better than the other John Green books I have read.

You will love Fannie Flagg ...I had a roommate in college and she was from Georgia and she also had red hair and Fannie Flagg reminds me of her so much, Sadly she passed away a few years ago due to a car accident . But you will love fannie flagg .

Old 04-13-2014, 06:12 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,275,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
You will love Fannie Flagg ...I had a roommate in college and she was from Georgia and she also had red hair and Fannie Flagg reminds me of her so much, Sadly she passed away a few years ago due to a car accident . But you will love fannie flagg .

I ordered it from my library along with about 8 more books I will be reading it soon. I'm sorry about your friend.

I am going to start The Husband's Secret tonight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books