Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2014, 11:25 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,113 times

Advertisements

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford has been on my list for awhile and I'm finally reading.

I'm concurrently reading Clever Girl, a biography on the life of Elizabeth Bentley, written by Lauren Kessler. Bentley catapulted to tabloid fame and nicknamed the "Red Spy Queen." As the government's star witness in the trials she, almost singlehandedly, was responsible for ushering in the The McCarthy era. So, far both these books are to my liking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 06:25 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,078,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford has been on my list for awhile and I'm finally reading.

I'm concurrently reading Clever Girl, a biography on the life of Elizabeth Bentley, written by Lauren Kessler. Bentley catapulted to tabloid fame and nicknamed the "Red Spy Queen." As the government's star witness in the trials she, almost singlehandedly, was responsible for ushering in the The McCarthy era. So, far both these books are to my liking.

Again another book that I hated that everyone else seemed to like "Hotel on the corner of bitter and sweet by Jamie Ford..im glad you are liking it .

Old 04-13-2014, 06:48 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Again another book that I hated that everyone else seemed to like "Hotel on the corner of bitter and sweet by Jamie Ford..im glad you are liking it .
We'll, we do agree on [i]The Bully Pulpit[i], Yes?

Old 04-13-2014, 09:12 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,350,226 times
I read The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom and now am reading Gossamer by Lois Lowry. Just love both of their storytelling.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:11 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,114 times
I am reading The Art Forger. As other's have said, it is not well written at all. In fact, it reminds me of how my college freshman daughter writes. I don't necessarily mean that as a slam against either the author or my daughter, it is just that the book reads like an "amateur" wrote it.

What is keeping me going (aside from the fact that it is my book club's selection for the month) is that after reading The Goldfinch, I am more intrigued about art forgery and art theft so I am adding to my knowledge - otherwise, I would have set it aside by now.

Next up might be a return to Donna Tartt as I have not yet read her A Secret History.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:54 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,859,743 times
'To Kill a Mockingbird', by Harper Lee. I thought I read this in high school but apparently not. Gosh it's so good. I love the language of this book.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:53 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Because I only have another day of quiet and then a lot going on (no time -- none at all -- to read) until next week, I really didn't want to start an involved and long book. But I did. I'm reading A Constellation of Vital Phenomena by Anthony Marra. (Funny; I'm 7% in and only realized when I went to look it up just now, that it's written by a man. Go know.) Anyway, I just started it but I'm INTO IT. The writing is impeccable and the story is -- although I don't know quite what's going on yet -- riveting.

ETA: Oh, it only gets better... I just learned that this is his first novel. I love when a debut is -- seemingly; so far -- this well done.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:55 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,864,430 times
I just finished reading Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. I almost never read "award winning books" and tend to stick with pop fiction, but I saw an interview with the author and they read and excerpt and I was dying of laughter.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15796700-americanah

Anyway this book was a love story with excellent social commentary on race in America, and what life is like for immigrants adjusting when they return home.

It is a great read, and should be required reading for anyone curious about race in the US.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:58 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,350,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Because I only have another day of quiet and then a lot going on (no time -- none at all -- to read) until next week, I really didn't want to start an involved and long book. But I did. I'm reading A Constellation of Vital Phenomena by Anthony Marra. (Funny; I'm 7% in and only realized when I went to look it up just now, that it's written by a man. Go know.) Anyway, I just started it but I'm INTO IT. The writing is impeccable and the story is -- although I don't know quite what's going on yet -- riveting.

ETA: Oh, it only gets better... I just learned that this is his first novel. I love when a debut is -- seemingly; so far -- this well done.
Next on the list at library for this based on your recommendation. Here's hoping I enjoy it. I am currently reading One Came Home by Amy Timberlake. Can't remember where I came across it but it is a YA book. Just the genre I have really needed lately.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:32 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times
I loved The Husband's Secret. Thanks to someone/s here for the recommedation

Now I am starting The Maze Runner which is another YA book. I didn't realize it was book 1 of a series. I hope it can work as a stand alone as I have about 9 books in transit for me from the library

The Maze Runner (Book 1): James Dashner: 9780385737951: Amazon.com: Books
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books