Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2014, 08:16 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times

Advertisements

I am reading Alex & Me by Irene Pepperberg [about the famous African Grey parrot featured often on TV]
Alex & Me: How a Scientist and a Parrot Discovered a Hidden World of Animal Intelligence--and Formed a Deep Bond in the Process: Irene Pepperberg: 9780061673986: Amazon.com: Books

and enjoying it very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 02:55 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
I loved The Maze Runner.

Since I have a busy weekend coming up I am starting an easy read tonight. The Chance by Robyn Carr…it's a guilty pleasure

Old 04-18-2014, 05:33 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
I just started "the husbands secret " today and Im not sure about it yet . I read some really favorable posts on here about it so I will post when I finish it .

Old 04-18-2014, 05:52 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I've always been a fan of Walter Mosley, so catching up on his books I haven't read yet. Also just finished Andrew Carnegie's biography from David Nasaw, and just checked out the autobiography from Harry Belafonte, who I've always found fascinating.
I don't usually like detective stories, but I do like Walter Moseley.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:18 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,372,071 times
I don't remember the name of it, but it's a biography on Kurt Cobain. I just started it.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:12 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
I had heard the Orphan Train recommended and I know my sister mentioned that her book club read it and it was very good. So I reserved it at the library and just picked it up this week and began reading it. It's really very interesting historical fiction (and I seem to have been reading a bunch about this time period over the last few months so it is resonating.). I am enjoying it though really just still at the beginning...................I don't know why I guess I was curious to see the review so I looked it up on amazon, and lo and behold there must be like 20 books with this title. The one I am reading was published in 1979 (by James Magnussen and Dorothea Petrie). I mentioned this to my sister, and her book club read the much newer, more popular (now I know this one by Christina Baker Kline.
I just thought this was cute anecdote. It never ever occurred to me to think to verify the authors! So I hope to finish this one and I guess I will read the other one.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:08 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I had heard the Orphan Train recommended and I know my sister mentioned that her book club read it and it was very good. So I reserved it at the library and just picked it up this week and began reading it. It's really very interesting historical fiction (and I seem to have been reading a bunch about this time period over the last few months so it is resonating.). I am enjoying it though really just still at the beginning...................I don't know why I guess I was curious to see the review so I looked it up on amazon, and lo and behold there must be like 20 books with this title. The one I am reading was published in 1979 (by James Magnussen and Dorothea Petrie). I mentioned this to my sister, and her book club read the much newer, more popular (now I know this one by Christina Baker Kline.
I just thought this was cute anecdote. It never ever occurred to me to think to verify the authors! So I hope to finish this one and I guess I will read the other one.
That's cool,because now you can give us reviews on both books.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:52 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
I finished the book I wasn't going to finish after all because it was so horribly sad it was like not being able to take your eyes off an accident. So then I turned to something infinitely more cheerful, like the dead coming back to life. The Returned by Jason Mott. The Returned: Jason Mott, Tom Stechschulte: 9781491518793: Amazon.com: Books

I am about halfway through and it is well written. I first read the sample, and then I bought the book but I noticed after I bought it, that he appears to have written it in segments, the way Hugh Howey wrote Wool, and that those segments (which may or may not have been edited or reshaped for the complete book) are free downloads.

It's an interesting premise and it is certainly not badly written.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:00 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
If you liked Orphan Train and Kline's writing, check out Kindle's $1.99 daily deal. Another book (free) book is also offered.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:02 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,834,047 times
Japan at War: An Oral History
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books