Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2014, 04:06 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,843,617 times

Advertisements

I really enjoyed Alex & Me: How a Scientist and a Parrot Discovered a Hidden World of Animal Intelligence--and Formed a Deep Bond in the Process by Irene Pepperberg.The personality of this African Grey parrot is amazing and hilarious.I love the author's accounts of how Alex asserted himself when he didn't want to do the tests and the words he came up with himself, but it also made me feel that African Grey parrots are far too intelligent to be forced into being a 'lab-rat',even when they let it be known that they do not want to participate. So the book ended up making me very sad and feeling sorry for Alex.

Now I am starting a sci-fi book~ Timeline by Michael Crichton.

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 04-22-2014 at 04:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 08:32 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
As much as I was enjoying A Constellation of Vital Phenomena, I made a mistake. I started it when I knew that, after only two days of reading, I'd have no time for it for a week. Then, when I went back to it, I felt lost. I tried skimming the beginning to reconnect with it, but I still felt lost. I tried really reading it from the beginning again, but felt bored because I'd already read it (even though I didn't remember much of it). So... I'll save it for another time.

I'm going to try Family Life by Akhil Sharma next.
Good to know about A Constellation of Vital Phenomena. I put myself on the library hold list and am next to get it. I will be going out of town for a week the end of next week so either I better read it all before if I get it or don't start it until I get back.

I've very slowly been reading One Came Home by Amy Timberlake. Life has just been so busy. I sure don't feel like it should be taking me this long to read it though. It's only 245 pages. It is an interesting read and I'm enjoying it.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:36 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
The last book by Maeve Binchey was released today. Chestnut Street.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:47 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
I didn't know what to make of the Maze Runner. It's a little like The Hunger Games, a little like Delirium. Sometimes I think some authors don't have enough fantasy to think something up on their own... But I liked it nevertheless. It'll be out as a movie soon, too.

Let me know if you liked it.

Diana
There are a lot of Dystopian books out now.

I enjoyed Maze Runner and I had no idea it will be a movie. I'm not sure about any of them as movies. Hunger Games was OK and I'm waiting for Divergent to come out on DVD.

I'm just starting Mockingbird by Kathryn Erksine.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:26 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
I finished The Art Forger. It was better than I was expecting. In spite of the undeveloped writing style, the story was interesting enough to keep me turning the pages.

Now to take a look at my TBR list and see what is next!

Old 04-22-2014, 01:30 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
I am picking up the headmasters wife this week and hope it is as good as a neighbor told me it is ...But I first saw it on here ....Has anyone read it on here yet ?

Old 04-22-2014, 01:39 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I am picking up the headmasters wife this week and hope it is as good as a neighbor told me it is ...But I first saw it on here ....Has anyone read it on here yet ?
Yup, I read it. Here's what I said about it:

Quote:
I finished The Headmaster's Wife. Hmmm. I really liked it at the beginning but then it got kind of weird for me. I still liked it but... weird.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:52 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Yup, I read it. Here's what I said about it:
Oh my gosh I wish you had not typed weird LOL ....sniff sniff ...okay weird really weird or just mildly weird ? LOL .

Old 04-22-2014, 03:55 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Just finished Ian McEwan's "Sweet Tooth", which was , overall, good. But it still didn't make me a McEwan fan, he comes up a little short in the category of pure joy of reading, although I like that his books are cerebral. I was not fond of the ending, which is not to say I didn't like how it ended. I won't spoil it with any more than that.

Now ready to start Max Barry's "Machine Man".

Old 04-22-2014, 05:22 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Oh my gosh I wish you had not typed weird LOL ....sniff sniff ...okay weird really weird or just mildly weird ? LOL .
I don't really remember -- I rarely remember details of a book -- but it was just... weird at the end. The fact that I actually finished it, though, means that it wasn't REALLY weird. I hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books