U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2014, 04:32 PM

14,785 posts, read 22,759,679 times

Advertisements

yep we sure did and it was a good trade ...Im happy and so is she it is so easy by media mail and it does not really cost that much.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 04:38 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,165,554 times
Just finished up Mockinjay last book In The Hunger Games
It was really good and intense although the last bit was hard to read, kinda reminded me of the last harry potter book, going to be an epic movie I think!
Also finished up a Nancy Drew book this morning

Old 04-26-2014, 01:22 AM

27,078 posts, read 10,207,254 times
Warsaw 1944
The Warsaw Uprising

Alexandra Richey

Old 04-26-2014, 10:45 AM

5,298 posts, read 7,914,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I actually broke down and bought it. I wish I "knew" you, Tigerlily, so I could pass it along!
Thanks for the offer, pinetreelover. I prefer my Kindle to paper books and am fortunate to have two well stocked libraries with both e-books and paper. I usually don't wait too long for an e-book from one of the libraries, and I'm in walking distance to the other. The central library has been made a separate tax district and they seem to be flush with e-books.
I finished Hotel on the Corner of Bitter & Sweet. I thought it repetitive and the predictable. After finishing, I read some of the reviews. Many readers faulted the book for historical inaccuracies. phone lady was right about this one.

Clever Girl, OTOH, was a page turner. It's a book about Elizabeth Bentley, an American and a Communist whose testimony provided a basis for the HUAC and MacAuthor's witch hunt. It was recommended by Erik Larson.

I'm presently reading A Week in December by Sebastian Faulks. I previous posted about The Glass House and Faulk's writing and this one is just as good.

Tom Perrotta is the author of the hour. Having read The Leftovers and Nine Inches, his book of short stories, I'm picking up The Abstinence Teacher today. The Leftovers will be a new HBO series and will be televised in June.

I have Jaybar Crow and Among Women, both recommended by forum members and they're next on my list.

I meant The Glass Room. I started the The Glass House but didn't finish

Last edited by tigerlily; 04-26-2014 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: correction

Old 04-26-2014, 04:56 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,035,295 times
Just finished "Hyperbole and a Half' by Allie Brosh (2013), read it in one day.
360+ page picture/comic book derived/compiled from the author's blog of same name (which I was only dimly aware of before this).
It was hilarious, to my mind-really did laugh until I cried, had to pause to catch my breath-the drawings perfectly compliment the text.
Subtitle of book was "unfortunate situations, flawed coping mechanisms, mayhem, and other things that happened"

Old 04-26-2014, 07:06 PM

6,191 posts, read 17,495,801 times
Richard Wright's Black Boy. Published in the 1940s but I am finding it riveting and relevant.

Black Boy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-26-2014, 11:39 PM

8,440 posts, read 12,819,510 times
Default My Story

I just finished "My Story." by Elizabeth Smart and Chris Stewart. Having lived in the Salt Lake City metro when she was abducted and knowing so many people involved and local issues, I had a deeper knowledge than the book focuses on, which is good. This book is truly about Elizabeth's perspective and how she coped.

I feel connected given neighbors she had that I knew well. The day she was found, I was working about 300 ft. away from where she was rescued. And when her case went to Court, I had to deal with all the media to get to a different court proceeding in a different courtroom.

I like the book. I would recommend it for adults of children who have been abused and older teens/adults who have been abused, if they are in therapy. She is straightforward, but not too graphic.

I found myself telling two others about a very memorable part for me.

MSR

Old 04-27-2014, 02:56 PM

15,895 posts, read 17,381,268 times
The Rape of Nanking by Iris Chang.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:46 PM

17,330 posts, read 31,426,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post

Clever Girl, OTOH, was a page turner. It's a book about Elizabeth Bentley, an American and a Communist whose testimony provided a basis for the HUAC and MacAuthor's witch hunt. It was recommended by Erik Larson.
Funny that you should mention this book. I came across it a couple of weeks ago and downloaded it, but I had no idea that it was about a real person. The synopsis mentions nothing about communism and witch hunts. I'm thinking that I'll start it next, if things don't get too busy.

-------

I finished Grace by Linn Ullmann. Her writing is solid and the (short) story was interesting. I'll read her other books that I've downloaded as time permits.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:47 PM

5,298 posts, read 7,914,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Funny that you should mention this book. I came across it a couple of weeks ago and downloaded it, but I had no idea that it was about a real person. The synopsis mentions nothing about communism and witch hunts. I'm thinking that I'll start it next, if things don't get too busy.

-------

I finished Grace by Linn Ullmann. Her writing is solid and the (short) story was interesting. I'll read her other books that I've downloaded as time permits.

There are two books with the same title. Are we talking about the same book? I have the Hadley's Clever Girl on my list, too. I really liked Kessler's book. I didn't realize she's an Oregon writer.
I saw The Cold Song by Linn Ullmann advertised in the NYT today and it looks interesting.

Clever Girl
Elizabeth Bentley, the Spy Who Ushered in the McCarthy Era
by Lauren Kessler

Clever Girl
by Tessa Hadley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books