Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2014, 09:55 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,890,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I love John Saul books. I started reading his books in the 70's and read them as I find them

Enjoy…his books are great. Go back to his earlier books also
I agree! I remember reading Suffer the Children, Comes the Blind Fury, When the Wind Blows and others when I was in middle-school in the early 80s. The "movie" I saw in my head while reading them was scarier than any actual horror movies I'd seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 11:57 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,449,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Just finished The Presence by John Saul and loved this horror tale set in Hawaii,and now I'm reading another by him...Midnight Voices,which is set in NYC.It is so good that if my eyes hadn't started blurring,I would have finished it in one sitting last night! Have about 50 pgs.to go. Plan to read more by him.
The first book of his I read was "Brain Child," when I was a teenager. After that I started asking for his books for Christmas and my birthday and my mom still orders them for me when she sees them as one of her book club selections. I have/had most of his books at one point and have not read them all but have decided to start back at the beginning and read them all either again or for the first time.

The only thing I'd caution on his earlier books is to put some time between reading them. Otherwise, they tend to run together: something evil happened to the children 100 years ago, present day child stumbles upon something that reignites that evil. That's partially why I stopped reading them. That and the whole so many books, so little time thing.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:23 PM

206 posts, read 158,379 times
I'm always starting a new book before finishing the other lol it's a bad habit, but I'm currently rereading the Harry Potter series♥

Old 05-02-2014, 01:53 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,449,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancycakes View Post
I'm always starting a new book before finishing the other lol it's a bad habit, but I'm currently rereading the Harry Potter series♥
I usually start thinking about what I want to read next about halfway through and start mentally writing my review for Goodreads about three-quarters into a book.

Old 05-02-2014, 03:13 PM

206 posts, read 158,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
I usually start thinking about what I want to read next about halfway through and start mentally writing my review for Goodreads about three-quarters into a book.
Lol, I have so many unfinished books

Old 05-03-2014, 06:02 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
I've been cross referencing some authors and I thought some of you might like these.

If you like Fannie Flagg try:

Jan Karon
Rebecca Wells
T R Pearson
Bailey White
Linda Ashour
Deborah Smith
Pamela Duncan
Suzanne Shea
Ann Ross
Karin Gillespie
Jill McCorkle
Dorothy Garlock
Garrison Keillor
Billie Letts
Annie Proulx
Sue Monk Kidd
Adriana Trigiani
Bailey White

Fron here:
http://http://anniston.lib.al.us/readalikes.htm#name

Old 05-03-2014, 07:50 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,313,642 times
Just finished The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. Liked it. Cried.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:35 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
Just finished The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. Liked it. Cried.
That book is so crushingly real, so filled with wonderful characters and acts of human kindness that it became one of my favorite books when I read it. It will always be one of my favorite books.

I cried, too, and more than once and none of it was "cry for happy" tears.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:05 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,313,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
That book is so crushingly real,
I don't know how real it is -- I don't have any first-hand experience as either a "cancer kid" or as the parent or family member or friend of a cancer kid. But I really liked the characters and felt for them all. It was a sad story, but somehow managed not to be overwhelmingly sad at the end. Not sure how he managed that. But yeah, definitely a tear-jerker and I will be an absolute mess in the theatre when I go to see the movie.

Right from the beginning, it seemed clear to me that Hazel's quest to find out what happened to Anna's mother and the other unresolved elements of AIA was not so much about those characters as it was about Hazel's worry and concern for her own parents in the aftermath of her own death. I think perhaps that's the element that kept TFIOS from becoming too overwhelmingly sad: Hazel got her answers, her REAL answers.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:43 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,438,262 times
Currently reading Gone with the Wind.So far so good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books