Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2014, 12:21 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,321,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
This is true but I know I have really opened my reading enjoyment from some of the recommendations here

I had to put aside Cold Sassy Tree to finish Lakota Woman which really dragged for me.

Now I am back to Cold Sassy Tree and I am really enjoying it
I loved Cold Sassy. Read it years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 04:13 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
Half way through and really enjoying Jean Hanff Korelitz' "Admission", a very intelligently written book, with attention to detail that almost brings Tolstoy to mind sometimes. Probably a longer book than it needs to be for that reason, but it remains nimble, dancing through details without ever getting your feet muddy.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:30 PM

33 posts, read 101,846 times
I'm reading Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. Does anyone read David Mitchell's stuff? It's interesting! Been trying to find more stuff like it.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:01 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,431,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheart009 View Post
I'm reading Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. Does anyone read David Mitchell's stuff? It's interesting! Been trying to find more stuff like it.
Cloud Atlas is on this list. Maybe you can find something to strike your fancy :-)

The 25 Most Challenging Books You Will Ever Read

Old 05-07-2014, 06:44 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,113 times
Quote:

This book was the first Kindle book I purchased. The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet
Excellent!

Clip:
The year is 1799, the place Dejima in Nagasaki Harbor, the “high-walled, fan-shaped artificial island” that is the Japanese Empire’s single port and sole window onto the world, designed to keep the West at bay; the farthest outpost of the war-ravaged Dutch East Indies Company; and a de facto prison for the dozen foreigners permitted to live and work there. To this place of devious merchants, deceitful interpreters, costly courtesans, earthquakes, and typhoons comes Jacob de Zoet, a devout and resourceful young clerk who has five years in the East to earn a fortune of sufficient size to win the hand of his wealthy fiancée back in Holland.
The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet « David Mitchell

Old 05-07-2014, 10:10 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
Quote:
I read "number9dream", which I liked better than "Cloud Atlas". Don't bother reading "Black Swan Green", it sucked, I couldn't finish it, and most critics agree with me. But it's a long time since I read "number9dream" and I can't remember why I liked it.

I didn't like the way "Cloud Atlas" skipped around from one writing style to another, and quite honestly, I skipped some parts that were just too tiring to drag myself through the stylized writing. Yes, it was a challening book, but too tiresome to endure the challenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Cloud Atlas is on this list. Maybe you can find something to strike your fancy :-)

The 25 Most Challenging Books You Will Ever Read
I've read about 5 or 10 of those books, and you know what? I don't really care if I "get" a book or not, as long as the author writes in a way that I don't mind going along for the ride. Like watching "Last Year at Marienbad" or Tarkovsky's "Solaris". The person who compiled that list has obviously never tried to read anything by Herbert Marcuse.

By the way, I just discovered that Lem's "Solaris" is in my library, it's on my priority list, but I understand it's only been translated into English once, and it's a poor translation.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-07-2014 at 10:30 PM..

Old 05-08-2014, 08:41 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,114 times
I am one of those who loved The Goldfinch. I had read Donna Tartt's second book, The Little Friend, a while back and don't really remember much about it except I thought the ending was strange and abrupt. Several people told me that her first novel, The Secret History, was their favorite of the three so I just started it last week.

Sad to say, I absolutely can't get any momentum with it at all! I'm heading to the beach next week and need a good book (I'm not much of a "beach read" sort of reader) so am hoping this one will either catch fire or it will be back to the bookstore for me. The good news is that our beach place is a very short walk to a charming little independent book store and in the interest of being a good book-loving citizen, I always like to give him some business!

Old 05-08-2014, 09:36 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I am one of those who loved The Goldfinch. I had read Donna Tartt's second book, The Little Friend, a while back and don't really remember much about it except I thought the ending was strange and abrupt. Several people told me that her first novel, The Secret History, was their favorite of the three so I just started it last week.

Sad to say, I absolutely can't get any momentum with it at all! I'm heading to the beach next week and need a good book (I'm not much of a "beach read" sort of reader) so am hoping this one will either catch fire or it will be back to the bookstore for me. The good news is that our beach place is a very short walk to a charming little independent book store and in the interest of being a good book-loving citizen, I always like to give him some business!
When I read The Secret History -- when it first came out -- it was on a recommendation from someone who knew, very well, what I would like. When I started it, I was like, "Really? Do you REALLY know me AT ALL?" He told me to persevere. Then, like the floodgates opening, I was into it. Completely INTO IT! And loved it. I don't want to push you but... it's worth it. If you just get to the gate door... BOOM!

Old 05-09-2014, 08:25 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,114 times
Thanks, Dawn! That is very encouraging! I read a few pages last night with much more gusto. I'll keep at it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books