Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-09-2014, 08:15 PM
 
Location: Where the sun likes to shine!!
20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Reputation: 88950

Advertisements

Do Or Die by Suzanne Brockman. I like her stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-10-2014, 11:57 AM
 
Location: SoCal desert
8,091 posts, read 15,429,770 times
Reputation: 15038
I've been downloading and reading freebies on my Kindle. Most of them have been worth what I paid for them

But I really enjoyed Paradise Valley by Dale Cramer. It's set in the 1920's. A sweet book - I may just buy the 2nd book, LOL

"An Amish settlement in Ohio has run afoul of a law requiring their children to attend public school. Caleb Bender and his neighbors are arrested for neglect, with the state ordering the children be placed in an institution.

Searching for a place to relocate his family where no such laws apply, Caleb learns there's inexpensive land for sale in Mexico, a place called Paradise Valley. Despite rumors of instability in the wake of the Mexican revolution, the Amish community decides this is their answer. And since it was Caleb's idea, he and his family will be the pioneers. They will send for the others once he's established a foothold and assessed the situation."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2014, 12:46 PM
 
2,094 posts, read 3,653,581 times
Reputation: 2296
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Just finished Brooklyn Story by Suzanne Corso and immediately followed with When We Were the Kennedys: A Memoir from Mexico, Maine by Monica Wood.

Also read The Walk by Lee Goldberg. Interesting premise but a head-scratcher of an ending.


Loved When We Were the Kennedys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2014, 04:24 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles>Little Rock>Houston>Little Rock
6,489 posts, read 8,810,279 times
Reputation: 17514
I just finished The Invention of Wings. I loved it. Now I don't know what to read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2014, 04:44 PM
 
Location: Old Mother Idaho
29,213 posts, read 22,351,209 times
Reputation: 23853
I'm currently reading Rick Bragg's All over But The Shoutin', the first book in his trilogy of memoirs about him and has family.
I read the las book of the three first, The Prince Of Frogtown. It was his most difficult book to write, according to him, because it was about his father, who left his family when Rick was young, and brought them all a lot of grief before he left for good.

Bragg was born in absolute poverty in Alabama, raised by a mother who so loved her 3 boys and so determined to see them do better that she went 17 years without ever buying a new dress for herself. Of her children, only Rick went on to do great things; he became a journalist and won the Pulizer Prize for his writing. All Over But The Shoutin' is the story of his mother, her sons, and her family when Rick was growing up.

The South has produced many of the best American writers, but Bragg is my favorite of all of them. The man can turn a memorable phrase as easy as dropping a hat. Here's one from the book:

"The girls weren't tender flowers. My aunt Gracie Juanita could build Tara if you gave her a year and a key to a Home Depot."

He always says more in one sentence than most writers do in 10 pages. And his descriptive powers are extraordinary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2014, 05:35 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Reputation: 3809
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I'm currently reading Rick Bragg's All over But The Shoutin', the first book in his trilogy of memoirs about him and has family.
I read the las book of the three first, The Prince Of Frogtown. It was his most difficult book to write, according to him, because it was about his father, who left his family when Rick was young, and brought them all a lot of grief before he left for good.

Bragg was born in absolute poverty in Alabama, raised by a mother who so loved her 3 boys and so determined to see them do better that she went 17 years without ever buying a new dress for herself. Of her children, only Rick went on to do great things; he became a journalist and won the Pulizer Prize for his writing. All Over But The Shoutin' is the story of his mother, her sons, and her family when Rick was growing up.

The South has produced many of the best American writers, but Bragg is my favorite of all of them. The man can turn a memorable phrase as easy as dropping a hat. Here's one from the book:

"The girls weren't tender flowers. My aunt Gracie Juanita could build Tara if you gave her a year and a key to a Home Depot."

He always says more in one sentence than most writers do in 10 pages. And his descriptive powers are extraordinary.
I just downloaded from the library on your recommendation. I like a writer who doesn't waste words. The over use of similes drives me crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2014, 05:37 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Reputation: 3809
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
I just finished The Invention of Wings. I loved it. Now I don't know what to read.
I thought it better than The Secret Life Of Beesbut still not overly impressed with this writer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2014, 05:43 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Reputation: 3809
Presently reading The Ghost Map The Story of London's Most Terrifying Epidemic--and How It Changed Science, Cities, and the Modern World by Steven Johnson. Johnson's book, The Invention of Airis also a enlightening read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2014, 07:20 PM
 
Location: Canada
7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Reputation: 9858
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I'm currently reading Rick Bragg's All over But The Shoutin', the first book in his trilogy of memoirs about him and has family.
I read the las book of the three first, The Prince Of Frogtown. It was his most difficult book to write, according to him, because it was about his father, who left his family when Rick was young, and brought them all a lot of grief before he left for good.

Bragg was born in absolute poverty in Alabama, raised by a mother who so loved her 3 boys and so determined to see them do better that she went 17 years without ever buying a new dress for herself. Of her children, only Rick went on to do great things; he became a journalist and won the Pulizer Prize for his writing. All Over But The Shoutin' is the story of his mother, her sons, and her family when Rick was growing up.

The South has produced many of the best American writers, but Bragg is my favorite of all of them. The man can turn a memorable phrase as easy as dropping a hat. Here's one from the book:

"The girls weren't tender flowers. My aunt Gracie Juanita could build Tara if you gave her a year and a key to a Home Depot."

He always says more in one sentence than most writers do in 10 pages. And his descriptive powers are extraordinary.
You've sold me. I'm still on Greg Iles' newest book but I'm downloading Bragg. I had not heard of him before. I agree with you about southern writers. They are some of the greatest that there are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2014, 07:22 PM
 
Location: Canada
7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Reputation: 9858
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Do Or Die by Suzanne Brockman. I like her stories.
Is this a new book? I read her Troubleshooters books a while back and became a fan. I haven't looked for her books in a while though so I will have to do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top