Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2014, 06:51 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,842,089 times

Advertisements

Sphere~sci-fi by Michael Crichton ,finding it very interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 08:55 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,435,548 times
Interesting book about Sicily, The Stone Boudoir, Travels through the Hidden Villages of Sicily, Theresa Maggio. Because of her Sicilian ancestry, she is welcomed into areas of life which would be denied to others.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:30 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,310,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I just finished The All-Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion. I loved it. This was my first read by Fannie Flagg and it won't be my last.
I have never read a Fannie Flagg book that I didn't enjoy. She is a very funny lady and I laugh through her books. Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe is my favorite.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:45 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,378,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I have never read a Fannie Flagg book that I didn't enjoy. She is a very funny lady and I laugh through her books. Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe is my favorite.
I plan on reading that also. I remember her from Match Game but I had no idea she was an author.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:50 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,011,510 times
Talk about going against type! I'm reading Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin. I don't like horror stories, I never even saw the movie, but I came across the book and, since I was looking for a short and easy read, I figured "why not?" I read the first chapter: the writing is pretty awful and Mr. Levin's punctuation skills leave much to be desired but... why not?

Old 05-12-2014, 12:16 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
Just started Max Barry's "Jennifer Government", which I think is just barely good enough to read. It started off very immaturely, but Barry is a snarky writer and at times redeems himself, so it is OK to romp through.

Finished Jean Hanff Korelitz' "Admission", which I really liked a lot, and did not object to the shortcomings that are described by many readers, because she is such an excellent writer. I was afraid the ending would be a letdown, but it wasn't.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:42 PM

7,304 posts, read 9,311,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Talk about going against type! I'm reading Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin. I don't like horror stories, I never even saw the movie, but I came across the book and, since I was looking for a short and easy read, I figured "why not?" I read the first chapter: the writing is pretty awful and Mr. Levin's punctuation skills leave much to be desired but... why not?
Speaking of scary books, I did find that one very scary when I read it oh, so many years ago it hurts to think about it. After what you wrote about the writing, I probably wouldn't read it today though.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:59 PM

934 posts, read 1,127,687 times
I'm so behind on reading. I have lots to read and often don't pick them up. Sometimes I pick books up but don't finish them. I love to finish a book. I love recommendations. Based on Recommendations I've been reading The Book Thief, which I admit to not finishing. I now have picked up Gone Girl and Call the Midwife. I picked up The Reader and didn't finish that either. A story that keeps me engaged is worth a lot.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:16 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,448,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
I just finished The Invention of Wings. I loved it. Now I don't know what to read.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I thought it better than The Secret Life Of Beesbut still not overly impressed with this writer.
I have "The Invention of Wings" on my TBR list but I'm hesitant. I first read "The Mermaid Chair" and absolutely hated it! But then my friends convinced me to read "The Secret Life of Bees" and I loved it. So she's 50/50 with me right now.

I finished reading "Undead and Unfinished" by MaryJanice Davidson last night and started Meg Donohue's "How to Eat a Cupcake" just before bed but fell asleep after a few pages (typical for me when I'm reading).

Old 05-13-2014, 12:55 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,310,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynach View Post
I'm so behind on reading. I have lots to read and often don't pick them up. Sometimes I pick books up but don't finish them. I love to finish a book. I love recommendations. Based on Recommendations I've been reading The Book Thief, which I admit to not finishing. I now have picked up Gone Girl and Call the Midwife. I picked up The Reader and didn't finish that either. A story that keeps me engaged is worth a lot.
It took me two tries to read "The Book Thief." It "took" on the second attempt. I enjoyed the book so much that I don't want to see the movie.

I did not like "Gone Girl." I only finished it because I wanted to know the outcome. The characters were despicable. I could not stand any of them. There is nothing redeeming among the cast of characters but, really, the story is good with interesting twists and turns..

"Call the Midwife" is an excellent book, IMO. True story, too. I don't expect to like all the characters in a book but I can honestly say that this book has some of the most wonderful folks to be found in nonfiction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books