Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2014, 01:12 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,404,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynach View Post
Call the Midwife.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
"Call the Midwife"
LOL - I've been watching this on PBS and didn't even know there was a book!
Boy, do I feel dumb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 02:34 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,964,621 times
Quote:

"Call the Midwife" is an excellent book, IMO. True story, too. I don't expect to like all the characters in a book but I can honestly say that this book has some of the most wonderful folks to be found in nonfiction.
Funny, I saw all three of the Call the Midwife trilogy books on my library's Kindle website a while back and I didn't even bother looking to see what they were about, nor did I look on Amazon.

You made me look, D! You made me look!

(And I've just reserved all three of them.)

(When I'll have the time to actually READ them, I have no idea. But I reserved them. Which just reminded me of the Seinfeld line, "You know how to TAKE the reservation; you just don't know how to KEEP the reservation.)

(And now I'm done.) (Parenthetically, at least.)

Old 05-14-2014, 08:56 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,342,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
LOL - I've been watching this on PBS and didn't even know there was a book!
Boy, do I feel dumb.
I tried reading the first one but at the same time I was watching on Netflix (still need to get caught up to this season). I would recommend not reading the books while watching the show. The book is really good but just weird experience reading it and watching it and certain things being changed for TV.

I'm reading Hollow City by Ransom Riggs. About 75% of the way through. I find it to be a very interesting story. It is the sequel to Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. While I don't think the books are really great or anything like that, they are interesting and different than other stuff I've read. I also love how he uses old photos he has found and makes them part of his story.

I have 3 other library eBooks waiting for me on my tablet too. I would so much rather be reading than working right now. What's new?

Old 05-14-2014, 04:34 PM

All My Puny Sorrows by Miriam Toews. (She's Canadian so, while it's already available here, it won't be available in the U.S. until November 6.)

All My Puny Sorrows: Miriam Toews: 9781940450278: Amazon.com: Books

I've never read anything by her before. I just started this one and I definitely like her writing style. So much so that I have a few other of her books on my Kindle library already, one of them a memoir.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:57 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,280,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Funny, I saw all three of the Call the Midwife trilogy books on my library's Kindle website a while back and I didn't even bother looking to see what they were about, nor did I look on Amazon.

You made me look, D! You made me look!

(And I've just reserved all three of them.)

(When I'll have the time to actually READ them, I have no idea. But I reserved them. Which just reminded me of the Seinfeld line, "You know how to TAKE the reservation; you just don't know how to KEEP the reservation.)

(And now I'm done.) (Parenthetically, at least.)
I hope you enjoy them as much as I did, Dawn. There is no "danger" for you in the books. You know what I mean. I know that sounds silly but there really isn't and yet the tales are so heartwarming and sometimes filled with pathos that I couldn't help but love them. To know that these women actually existed in real life and to learn their back stories is part of the frosting on the cake. I really, really like these people and sometimes in today's world it is hard to find people in literature, whether fiction or non, who are truly likable in their very humanity. You'll meet some of them in "Call the Midwife."

"D"

Old 05-14-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
I hope you enjoy them as much as I did, Dawn. There is no "danger" for you in the books. You know what I mean. I know that sounds silly but there really isn't and yet the tales are so heartwarming and sometimes filled with pathos that I couldn't help but love them. To know that these women actually existed in real life and to learn their back stories is part of the frosting on the cake. I really, really like these people and sometimes in today's world it is hard to find people in literature, whether fiction or non, who are truly likable in their very humanity. You'll meet some of them in "Call the Midwife."

"D"
I know exactly what you mean. <3 xxo

Old 05-15-2014, 02:49 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,031,520 times
well Im reading "The Tale of Halcyon Crane " and so far I'm liking it a lot . anybody else on cd read it ?

Old 05-15-2014, 03:34 PM

289 posts, read 568,826 times
I'm reading "Allegiant" by Veronica Roth, the final book in the Divergent trilogy. After I finish I think I will read "The Fault in Our Stars" by John Green.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:49 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,352,840 times
Read “A Better Way of Dying: How to Make the Best Choices at The End of Life”
by Jeanne Fitzpatrick, M.D. and Eileen M. Fitzpatrick, J.D. (2010).

The title is pretty self-explanatory...

an excerpt: “Your openness about your decision and your plans will make a vital contribution to ending the
“my patients don’t die” attitude that unnecessarily extends suffering at the end of life.”

Old 05-15-2014, 08:17 PM

308 posts, read 365,681 times
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books