Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2014, 06:06 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,342,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynach View Post
I'm so behind on reading. I have lots to read and often don't pick them up. Sometimes I pick books up but don't finish them. I love to finish a book. I love recommendations. Based on Recommendations I've been reading The Book Thief, which I admit to not finishing. I now have picked up Gone Girl and Call the Midwife. I picked up The Reader and didn't finish that either. A story that keeps me engaged is worth a lot.
I'll do that when I am in a reading rut. Then I need to read a light smut book for a change of pace.

I enjoyed The Book Thief very much but it was a slow read for me. As for the movie…I think it would be a snore fest.

I looked up Call the Midwife and I added that to my TR list. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerafaith View Post
I'm reading "Allegiant" by Veronica Roth, the final book in the Divergent trilogy. After I finish I think I will read "The Fault in Our Stars" by John Green.
I haven't been able to get Allegiant from the library yet. Let me know how you liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
Read “A Better Way of Dying: How to Make the Best Choices at The End of Life”
by Jeanne Fitzpatrick, M.D. and Eileen M. Fitzpatrick, J.D. (2010).
Sounds like something everyone should know. I will read it if I can find it. Then again every time my DH and I talk to his daughter about our deaths she freaks out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 06:13 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,342,663 times
I just finished Do Or Die by Suzanne Brockmann and I really enjoyed it. It is on par with her Troubleshooters series with a new cast of characters.

I just started The Rosie Project which is about a 39 year old professor of genetics who has Apergers but doesn't know it. He can never get past a fist date so he comes up with The Wife Project to find the right woman. Unfortunately his list/survey is not flexible at all….in comes Rosie. That's as far as I got.

For those who enjoy YA books you may like this one
Amazon.com: The Rosie Project: A Novel (9781476729084): Graeme Simsion: Books

Old 05-16-2014, 07:55 AM

15,893 posts, read 18,276,191 times
I just finished Donna Tartt's "The Goldfinch."

I'm pretty much speechless. Rather than saying "I love this book" I must be more to the point and say right out loud that "I am in love with this book." I will read it again and soon.

I did not expect to fall in love. I was prepared not to. She grabbed me with her brilliant descriptions of everything: people, places, seasons, fear, love, food, paintings, smells, cloth, furniture, etc. The story itself is so beautifully unfolded and grasped at me from another room with its lulling purr of "You don't need to fix dinner, you need to read me" or more to the point "You have no need for sleep when you have me."

When I hit the 75% marker on my kindle I felt a slow panic. I did not want this book to end. I was not depressed with the thought but I remember thinking to myself "What will I do when I finish it?" I liken it to that last semester of college. Oh so happy to finally be through with school and being able to buy my own washer and dryer and live in the real world in some place that is not a dorm. And yet, and yet will I be able to make it in life?

I could go on and on and bore everyone to tears. Suffice it to say again that I am in love with this book.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:50 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,849,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post

I'm pretty much speechless. Rather than saying "I love this book" I must be more to the point and say right out loud that "I am in love with this book." I will read it again and soon.

I did not expect to fall in love. I was prepared not to. She grabbed me with her brilliant descriptions of everything: people, places, seasons, fear, love, food, paintings, smells, cloth, furniture, etc. The story itself is so beautifully unfolded and grasped at me from another room with its lulling purr of "You don't need to fix dinner, you need to read me" or more to the point "You have no need for sleep when you have me."

When I hit the 75% marker on my kindle I felt a slow panic. I did not want this book to end. I was not depressed with the thought but I remember thinking to myself "What will I do when I finish it?" I liken it to that last semester of college. Oh so happy to finally be through with school and being able to buy my own washer and dryer and live in the real world in some place that is not a dorm. And yet, and yet will I be able to make it in life?

I could go on and on and bore everyone to tears. Suffice it to say again that I am in love with this book.
Love your review! And totally agree.
You should add it to the separate thread on The Goldfinch too.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:09 AM

7,263 posts, read 9,274,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post

She's an amazing writer. After ten years (since her last book) I think I had forgotten how amazing. I was unable to find her first book in my book collection, so I bought it again. It's been so long since I read it, and given the quality of her writing, that I figured that I could just work myself repeatedly down the line of her books, and each time, find some new wonder to wonder over.

I am now on the 'hooked' part of Greg Iles' new book. There's the first part where I was interested but not hooked and now I am on the 'hooked' part. Alas, I have some yard work to interrupt my reading.

Old 05-17-2014, 02:54 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,913,982 times
Another Goldfinch fan, here... I just finished The Secret History and now think I might go back and re-read The Little Friend which I read several years ago and remember enjoying tremendously.

Donna Tartt is a master of words and The Secret History was an amazing read. I just finished minutes ago and pulled out my computer to cyber-stalk it a bit and find old reviews. I am still digesting it!

Old 05-17-2014, 03:13 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,791,021 times
I recently finished The Invention of Wings and have now started on Field Prey, the latest John Sandford novel featuring Lucas Davenport.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:26 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,276,191 times
I'm reading "I Promised My Dad: An Intimate Portrait of Michael Landon by His Eldest Daughter" by Cheryl Landon Wilson.

Why am I reading it? Well it's a hardback that I got for $1.00 and I liked Landon a lot. Also, I had let the battery in my kindle run down so I had to recharge it.

I've read a couple of bios about Landon and this one is the best so far.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:19 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,401,957 times
I just finished Danger in Cat World by Nina Post - because the recs said ""Recommended for people who love cats, for people who enjoy a good mystery". It was a Kindle freebie.

Blah. It was worth what I paid for it.

The book would have been more interesting if it had been written from her cat's POV.

Old 05-18-2014, 02:18 PM

289 posts, read 568,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I haven't been able to get Allegiant from the library yet. Let me know how you liked it.

Just finished it this morning and while it had it's moments it mostly felt like she was just throwing things out there to finish the book and the series. There was a lot of new and rather useless information added in it. And to go from a phase to an acronym every 5 lines was really kinda annoying. But if you've already read the other 2 then you have to read this one just to see how the whole thing ends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books